Why become a member? ×

Physical pleasure (oo-er)

arthurhenry

Whilst I'm sure making music in a communicative and expressive way is foremost in our enjoyment of bass, I wonder whether it is common to derive some physical pleasure from playing the instrument. The feel of the strings under the fingers, the tension when bending a string, the neck nestling in your hand whether gripped tightly or loosely, the upper horn against your ribcage, the strap on your shoulder, etc, etc.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The same way a carpenter may enjoy the feel of a chisel in their hand, or an artist, the paintbrush. [/font][/color]
During the day, if I'm not playing, I miss some of these things and crave them.

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1453153434' post='2956976']
Are you Swiss Tony?
[/quote]

You've got to start by caressing the neck very gently, then when you've warmed her up, begin to strum more urgently with the tips of your fingers, gradually building speed until the low throbbing makes the whole room start to shake...

Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

But to answer the OP, to some degree yes, I find playing bass physically enjoyable in terms of the sensation . Not sure about the horn part though...