Why become a member? ×

Fake Festivals

JellyKnees

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1452857911' post='2954107']
Musicians having fun, playing songs they like? To people who are enjoying them?

Damn them all. Damn them all to hell!*

[size=2]*this is sarcasm[/size]
[/quote]
Yes, how dare they?

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1452854902' post='2954064']
@oops - Fake festival is usually tribute bands eg "Four Fighters"
[/quote]

Not really any different to the myriad of covers bands to which many of us belong, or have belonged to over the years?

Covers band dedicated to one artist or band really

Edited by gs_triumph

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1452855541' post='2954073']
You don't seem too impressed Mr Knees. Enlighten us...
[/quote]

Do I really need to? Where do I start? When did the concept of fake become desirable, let alone saleable? I remember local band festivals happening in the same park some years ago and jolly good they were too. Why would anyone want to watch a bunch of middle aged unimaginative musos pretending to be Queen, Oasis or whatever?

Still, I’m clearly sailing against the prevailing wind, so what do I know?

Not got a problem with tributes, really. Would struggle to think of a band I'd be interested in doing a trib to, admittedly.

Never gone out of my way to see a tribute band either, but have managed to inadvertantly catch a few. Those I've seen seen seemed to broadly divide between stunningly, disturbingly accurate and utterly, tragically embarrassing.

Jon.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1452863731' post='2954191']
How terrible.

Everybody man the pitchforks, there's trouble a-brewing
[/quote]
So how does it feel to be a -- what was it -- "middle aged unimaginative muso"? (Does this description apply to all of us who play covers, by the way?)

[color="#000000"]Hey I've just come up with a brilliant idea for people who don't like the idea of 'fake festivals' or tribute bands in general. It's a fairly extreme idea and might appear to be pretty left-field, but I'll try it anyway and you can see what you think.[/color]

[color="#000000"]OK, here goes.[/color]

[color="#000000"][size=5]If you don't like the idea of a 'fake festival' or a tribute band gig...[/size][/color]

[color="#000000"](and here comes the clever bit)[/color]
[color="#000000"] [/color]
[color="#000000"][i][size=5]...don't go to one.[/size][/i][/color]

[color="#000000"]Pretty radical stuff I know, but I reckon it could work.[/color]

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1452866606' post='2954237']
[color=#000000]Hey I've just come up with a brilliant idea for people who don't like the idea of 'fake festivals' or tribute bands in general. It's a fairly extreme idea and might appear to be pretty left-field, but I'll try it anyway and you can see what you think.[/color]

[color=#000000]OK, here goes.[/color]

[color=#000000][size=5]If you don't like the idea of a 'fake festival' or a tribute band gig...[/size][/color]

[color=#000000](and here comes the clever bit)[/color]
[color=#000000] [/color]
[color=#000000][i][size=5]...don't go to one.[/size][/i][/color]

[color=#000000]Pretty radical stuff I know, but I reckon it could work.[/color]
[/quote]

They could also - and I appreciate this is a radical concept - arrange their own festival, only featuring bands that play original material.

[color=#000000]Hey I've just come up with a brilliant idea for people who don't like the idea of 'fake festivals' or tribute bands in general. It's a fairly extreme idea and might appear to be pretty left-field, but I'll try it anyway and you can see what you think.[/color]

[color=#000000][size=5]If you don't like the idea of a 'fake festival' or a tribute band gig...[/size][/color]

[color=#000000] [/color]

[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1452866718' post='2954241']
They could also - and I appreciate this is a radical concept - arrange their own festival, only featuring bands that play original material.
[/quote]

Hey, I'm loving these ideas, can I make a contribution?

How about, they could even be like really, really sarcastic in a sardonic, highly-superior sort of way.

Sarcasm is good. We need more sarcasm.

:)

Smileys are good, too.

Hey, it's ALL good.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1452865851' post='2954226']
So how does it feel to be a -- what was it -- "middle aged unimaginative muso"? (Does this description apply to all of us who play covers, by the way?)
[/quote]

Oddly enough, not that different to how it felt to be a young, wild and carefree, sp*nk filled, beer and drugs fuelled imaginative muso playing original material. Which presumably is ok by the OP. Except my knees hurt these days.

I don't like brussels sprouts.

[color=#000000] [/color]

[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1452866718' post='2954241']
[/quote]

This place should have a 'like' button.