Why become a member? ×

Tiny ickle bit of grit/grind

uncle psychosis

On some of our punkier/rockier numbers I sometimes want to add a tiny little bit of grit or grind, not overt distortion, just enough to add *something*. Using my B3 I get a sound that I like by using the Tubescreamer model, with the gain down low and the blend also low so there's only a bit of the distorted effect coming through.

Will the EHX Bass Soul Food get close to this kind of sound, or should I be looking elsewhere? Its really hard to find demos of this kind of sound, 99% of youtube demos are people running way more gain than I want to. I quite like the look of the BJFE Blueberry too, but I don't like the price tag at all!

Dha vt1 valve overdrive, being an actually tube pedal it does what your after very well and although they can do extreme distortion one of there primery roles is too thicken sound and add some grit,grind etc. With added bonus of a little tube warmth. There not expensive either many models are sub 100 pound.
Bit of a shameless plug as I'm selling one. And only selling to part fund a larger model.

I'm another Dave Hall VT1 user; I've tried the Aguilar Tone Hammer, Sansamps, Xotic BB preamp, and a good few others besides. The only one I kept was the VT1 EQ, it's just more flexible than the others and sounds better (in my opinion).

If you're handy with a soldering iron (or know somebody who is!) you can get the Blueberry as a kit from Fuzz Dog Pedals. The RunOffGroove Ginger is always mentioned along with the Blueberry and VFE used to build them under license, but all the RunOffGroove stuff seems to have disappeared from their site recently...

My drive of choice has been the Ashdown J-Lo for a LONG time now, but it's BIG, almost B3 size. Much more flexible than most people give it credit for. I use it in a similar way to how James Lomenzo himself demonstrates it on YouTube, but with a slightly lower frequency center (not a treble hound me!) and a little more gain. I've just received a VFE Triumvirate to see if it gets in the same ballpark, but saves a bit of space on my little board.

Edited by Bigwan

Yeah, I saw the Blueberry on Fuzzdog and was intrigued.

I wasn't sure whether it was the same as the Bjfe version or the Mad Professor one, though. Reading/listening online suggests the mad prof version is higher gain and not as subtle. I'll maybe contact the Fuzz Dog and ask!

Think the Soul Food is still my favourite, just because of the clean blend.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1452159534' post='2947014']
Yeah, I saw the Blueberry on Fuzzdog and was intrigued.

I wasn't sure whether it was the same as the Bjfe version or the Mad Professor one, though. Reading/listening online suggests the mad prof version is higher gain and not as subtle. I'll maybe contact the Fuzz Dog and ask!

Think the Soul Food is still my favourite, just because of the clean blend.
[/quote]

Fuzz Dog also do a simple blend kit if you go the DIY route.

Thanks guys. I'm capable of soldering but I can't be bothered sourcing all the components myself. Happy to put together kits but can't be faffed buying transistors, resistors etc and making sure I have all the right bits. In a few years when the kids are a bit older I'll probably get into proper DIY pedals but don't have the time just now really.

I went through a similar search (see here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/266971-overdrive-suggestions/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url] ), I ended up with a OneControl Hooker's Green Bassmachine which did what you're after, and a DHA VT1, also highly recommended. I tried a Solid Gold FX Beta and it was very nice.

Then I got a Markbass multiamp and sold most stuff, but tellingly I kept hold of the DHA despite the size and 12v power.

Edited by adamg67

The bassmachine had crossed my mind, but from what I've seen from the demos even with the drive all the way down there's still a bit too much dirt (although I do really like the dirty sounds it does---I just don't need that just now). I suspect I need one with a clean blend to get it as subtle as I want. I basically think I'm talking myself into a Soul Food!

edit: bah, youtube videos are really annoying. The amount of gain you get seems to wildly vary from demo to demo. Most irritating.

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1452179427' post='2947317']
May I ask what you find lacking from the sounds on the B3 ?
[/quote]

Nothing, really. I should have explained- my B3 usually lives at home as a practice tool. I don't really want to have to carry it about, I'm trying to get down to as small a setup as possible. A battery powered Soul Food would be easy to just chuck in a gig bag - I don't use any other effects with the band.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1452182519' post='2947375']
Nothing, really. I should have explained- my B3 usually lives at home as a practice tool. I don't really want to have to carry it about, I'm trying to get down to as small a setup as possible. A battery powered Soul Food would be easy to just chuck in a gig bag - I don't use any other effects with the band.
[/quote]

Gotcha !

Well, I've got a B3 and a Bass Soul Food and I think if you like the blended Tube Screamer sound from the B3 then you'll deffo like the BSF.

Edited by ahpook

I assume you want a bright clangy sound for punk tunes, if so I would avoid the darker OD's like the Blueberry, Hookers Green and Beta, and check out the DHA VT1, VT Bass, or COG Knightfall! The EHX Soul Food and EHX Glove look like good options too, although I haven't tried them in person.

I used to have the Zoom B3 and also used the Tubescreamer on it in exactly the same way. Was almost what I was after. I then got what I was after with the Tech21 VT DI. And now have it with the Aguilar Tonehammer. That gritty, gnarly, just breaking into overdrive if digging in sound. Both of these pedals do it very well, as does the Ampeg SCR-DI.