Why become a member? ×

The Worlds Most Recognisable Bass line.

Hobbayne

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1452085038' post='2946196']
As part of our Christmas celebrations, we have a quiz/games day. We were hosting the extended family this year & I did a Bassline quiz, point each for artist & song title. Plugged in my bass & played 20 or so memorable bass lines. Some were intros, others riffs or passages of what I thought were very memorable lines, was amazed at how difficult the guests found it! Only a couple of them got them right. List below as best remembered.
The Chain - F. Mac
Shakin all over - JK & the pirates
Another one bites the dust - Queen
Money - Pink Floyd
Walking on the moon - Police
Black Knight - Deep Purple
Down in the tube station - the Jam
Rat Trap - Boomtown Rats
Le Freak - Chic
London calling - the Clash
Love cats - the cure
Good times - Chic
Eton rifles - the Jam
Walk on the wild side - Lou Reed
Uptown funk - Mark Ronson ft Bruno Mars
Bohemian Rapsody - Queen (waynes world bit!)
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix (ascending riff bit)
7 nation army - White Stripes
Papa was a rollin' stone - the Temptations
PiL - PiL
Peaches - Stranglers
etc etc
I thought they were too easy but it was only my missus & the musos who got 'em, the masses didnt have a clue!
[/quote]

I wouldn't recognize half of those.

I would probably be terrible at a lyrics quiz as its the music I seem to focus on not the words. So not really as surprised now as I was straight after the bassline quiz.
In reply to the OP I'd go with Billy Jean as MJ's appeal was truly global for a while.

Beaten to it for most of my selections - Fever, Another one bites the dust, Money - but I suspect "With or without you" would be quite well known. But play the bass to the verses of such well-known songs as "All right now", "Honky tonk women", or "Highway to hell" and who will recognise them?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1452181644' post='2947358']
But play the bass to the verses of such well-known songs as "All right now", "Honky tonk women", or "Highway to hell" and who will recognise them?
[/quote]

I'd recognise them instantly, as they're exactly the same as When Doves Cry and Kiss! (We've already done that one, Ed. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275790-the-worlds-most-recognisable-bass-line/page__view__findpost__p__2946088 B) )

I must admit that i've never even heard the song on the OP ever so if it's the most recogniseable bass line ever and i'm a bass player then something must be wrong with me...

My bass line of choice would definetly be Good Times, in all it's variants (Rapper's Delight, Gabriel o Pensador, and "i'll be shot for this" another One Bites The Dust, among many others). It's a very old bass line that's been repeated, modded and sampled over the years so people of all ages have heard it and know it.

If we think about the present there's one bass line (more like a base line) that will also stay on people's head for ages, Seven Nation Army. Everybody starts singing that damned line the moment someone asks for it or the band starts playing.

Guest canonman

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1451465386' post='2940607']
Good Times if it's going to be a Bernard Edwards line surely?
[/quote]

I Want Your Love is my favourite Chic bass line. Don't ask me why, it just is!

If we are talking about the world , I suppose F / Mac's The Chain and Queens Another one bites the Dust are top contenders .

If we are getting to the end of the night at a gig and the guitarist is scratching his head about what song to play , the bass line to Sweet Home Alabama seems to be instantly recognised by a lager swilling audience .

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1452085038' post='2946196']
As part of our Christmas celebrations, we have a quiz/games day. We were hosting the extended family this year & I did a Bassline quiz, point each for artist & song title. Plugged in my bass & played 20 or so memorable bass lines. Some were intros, others riffs or passages of what I thought were very memorable lines, was amazed at how difficult the guests found it! Only a couple of them got them right. List below as best remembered.
The Chain - F. Mac
Shakin all over - JK & the pirates
Another one bites the dust - Queen
Money - Pink Floyd
Walking on the moon - Police
Black Knight - Deep Purple
Down in the tube station - the Jam
Rat Trap - Boomtown Rats
Le Freak - Chic
London calling - the Clash
Love cats - the cure
Good times - Chic
Eton rifles - the Jam
Walk on the wild side - Lou Reed
Uptown funk - Mark Ronson ft Bruno Mars
Bohemian Rapsody - Queen (waynes world bit!)
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix (ascending riff bit)
7 nation army - White Stripes
Papa was a rollin' stone - the Temptations
PiL - PiL
Peaches - Stranglers
etc etc
I thought they were too easy but it was only my missus & the musos who got 'em, the masses didnt have a clue!
[/quote]
What a great way to get rid of the guests. Must remember that one...

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1452294120' post='2948733']

What a great way to get rid of the guests. Must remember that one...
[/quote]

crank it up jump on all yer pedals at once, play them all in a death metal style, works a treat!

Disco era - no 70s or 80s clubber would fail to recognise this - it's also a monstrous bass groove (and quite difficult to play and make it as funky as this let alone song as well)!!
Video has the world's most disinterested miming from the drummer.

http://youtu.be/8MmRJCpVPwo

Edited by drTStingray