Why become a member? ×

Are they still so clever and classless and free?

colgraff

Because the question of social class has been raised in other threads recently I have been pondering the media's persistent belief that working class bands have more legitimacy than those of other classes,

I started off working class (my father worked in a junior position in the Met Office and my mother was a char) but when my father was offered an overseas posting, my brother and I were sent to boarding school and from there we went to university and, to my mind, became middle-class. So personally, I am not convinced that my musical efforts would have been more authentic if we had stayed in the UK and I had continued to be state educated.

I'm also not convinced that the Beatles would have been as creative had they not been mostly middle class and 100% grammar school educated. Queen would, to my ears, have been immeasurably weakened without Freddie Mercury's elitist upbringing. And finally, I rather think that Oasis might have been more than they were with a little less legitimacy!

What do other basschatters think?

I recall the 'birth' of Punk, and some band (I forget who) was presented on tv as a bunch of kids who had just got together.....
....complete with a full/new Marshall backline?
Someone was trying it on....
The working class thing is largely a myth to hype the band to the 'majority' - It never did TwoTone bands any harm...........

:rolleyes:

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1450813212' post='2936151']
I have been pondering the media's persistent belief that working class bands have more legitimacy than those of other classes,
[/quote]

One of many conceits that exist around popular music. Another is the idea that rock is more 'authentic' than pop; or that only artists writing their own material have anything worthwhile to say.

Someone who classes themselves as being born middle class would not recognise you as middle class because you went to uni, someone who sees themselves as being born upper class wouldn't accept a middle class person as upper class if they bought a country pile, working class folk won't accept newly broke folk as working class just because they are now on the shop floor either, if you feel middle class that's fine but what does it change?

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1450818809' post='2936225']
Without wishing to diss anyone, but Phil Collins was born in Hounslow, an area not renowned for 'pit' activity.............
Also did drama school ....ditto........

:blink:
[/quote]

I spent most of my youth around the Hounslow (pronounced 'Arnsler', innit..?) area, and there were few folks strolling around in straw boaters, as I recall. No, no 'pits', but a bit 'pits' just the same. Just sayin'...
(That said, I [i]did [/i]get to go to Hampton Grammar school, by a fluke in the education system...)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1450816353' post='2936193']
What has going to grammar school got to do with being working class or otherwise ?

I wouldn't personally describe McCartney as having had a middle class upbringing.
[/quote]

In the 1940s (and beyond) getting into grammar school was the route to university and middle class professions. Only 1-2% of working class children passed the 11 plus at the time. Those that did almost invariably came from hugely aspirational households and part of that aspiration was aspiring to middle class respectability. Grammar schools almost always had interviews as well as the 11-plus and being clean, smartly dressed and well-spoken were usually essential requirements.

I was brought up in the 70's to an alcoholic father and a mentally unstable mother. Eventually my Grandparents legally adopted us kids.
I left school at 15 with no qualifications and no trade, drifting from unskilled job to unskilled job, getting my girlfriend pregnant and ending up in a B&B waiting for a council flat.
I applied for a job with the then, London Transport as a Guard on the tube trains in late 1988, and am now one of Londons most hated.
[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11729222/I-pointed-out-how-much-tube-drivers-earn.-Some-people-werent-happy.html"]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11729222/I-pointed-out-how-much-tube-drivers-earn.-Some-people-werent-happy.html[/url]
Even this year, i was thinking about getting a new USA Fender Precision, but still felt a pang of guilt even though I could now afford it. And a nice house and car.
I suppose you never really lose your roots. :(

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1450819386' post='2936237']
I was brought up in the 70's to an alcoholic father and a mentally unstable mother. Eventually my Grandparents legally adopted us kids.
I left school at 15 with no qualifications and no trade, drifting from unskilled job to unskilled job, getting my girlfriend pregnant and ending up in a B&B waiting for a council flat.
I applied for a job with the then, London Transport as a Guard on the tube trains in late 1988, and am now one of Londons most hated.
[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11729222/I-pointed-out-how-much-tube-drivers-earn.-Some-people-werent-happy.html"]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11729222/I-pointed-out-how-much-tube-drivers-earn.-Some-people-werent-happy.html[/url]
Even this year, i was thinking about getting a new USA Fender Precision, but still felt a pang of guilt even though I could now afford it. And a nice house and car.
I suppose you never really lose your roots. :(
[/quote]

I've worked on the Transport since 88 too. ;)

I reckon that the music press insistence that all bands should either be working class or pretend to be has more or less been dropped in the past five years or so. There have certainly been a proliferation of artists in the charts who come from backgrounds rather better off than I would even regard as middle class, and no-one really attempts to pretend otherwise now. I'm thinking of Florence Welch, James Blunt, Coldplay, Lily Allen, the wretched Mumfords and quite a few more. There have been hand-wringing Guardian articles on the phenomenon, of course. I do worry a little that it has probably got harder for anyone without some resources behind them to really get started in the music industry now.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Although I was born in the UK, I grew up elsewhere and this fascination with supposed "class" is equally fascinating and baffling. From the outside looking in it looks like a self-imposed categorisation which doesn't exist except in the minds of those who subscribe to the notion. I can't think of any other country where the social origin they were born into in would be factored into the potential or authenticity of a band. It's an amazing concept to think of yourself in that way.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1450818151' post='2936212']
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the guys in Genesis and Pink Floyd started their working lives down the pit.
[/quote]

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1450818809' post='2936225']
Without wishing to diss anyone, but Phil Collins was born in Hounslow, an area not renowned for 'pit' activity.............
Also did drama school ....ditto........

:blink:

Only middle and upper class people can spot irony...
[/quote]

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1450824589' post='2936298']
....I can't think of any other country where the social origin they were born into in would be factored into the potential or authenticity of a band. It's an amazing concept to think of yourself in that way.
[/quote]

Strongly ingrained into us by our lords and masters (thus betters) over many hundreds of years. We serfs and vassals know our place in the scheme of things.

On a different but similar tack, In my youth (in the 1960s/70s) I was always surprised by how many musicians in 'famous' bands had university degrees (and / or had been to public school).