Why become a member? ×

Warwick and their 'new' pricing system

funkyjimbob

Is this the buckeye Infinity or Streamer?

I can't believe those repair costs and the attitude. Warwick prices are what they are new and people pay them, however surely no-one is paying those prices for repair.

I bet Martin will sort it, however if he doesn't out of principle I would never consider commissioning Warwick for the work.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1450376471' post='2932230']
Is this the buckeye Infinity or Streamer?

I can't believe those repair costs and the attitude. Warwick prices are what they are new and people pay them, however surely no-one is paying those prices for repair.

I bet Martin will sort it, however if he doesn't out of principle I would never consider commissioning Warwick for the work.
[/quote]

It's the Infinity. Here is the bass in question for anyone that is interested.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1450376885' post='2932238']
Iv posted this over on the W forum, see how it goes down.
[/quote]

I await with interest :)

Compare and contrast - my double bass which my father kindly snapped the neck at the heel for me :). neck fixed, aligned, ebony binding piece made for lost one, touch up finish, adjust soundpost, correct bridge and setup. Total bill £90! from a known violin maker / repairer. I suspect that is rather more detail work than remove fingerboard, extract truss rod, re-install, glue fingerboard.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1450373653' post='2932190']

For comparison at the price they are going for 3000 euros would buy you a Streamer Stage 1[u][b]and[/b][/u] thumb from the late 80's early 90's.. and probably a Streamer $$ from a more recent period...

[/quote]

I'll sell you 3 NT Streamers for that price... and the truss rods are replaceable without leaving your own living room! :(

Quick update for anyone that is interested.

Martin removed the fretboard and took a look inside the neck at the headstock end. I may explain this wrong (so apologies) but it would seem that the thread on the truss nut had completely worn so he has replaced this with a new one. Here are some pictures which may give some clarity as to what has happened and how he has repaired it so far. As you can see on picture 4, the old piece has no thread in at all (the left one) compared to the new one. This is why the nut was spinning when the truss was being adjusted.

He is quite confident that with the humidity having being taken out of the bass and with this repair that it should now be all ok! He did this Friday and all is well so far. He is going to put the fretboard back on today and re-lacquer and polish areas where the bass has been repaired then we are good to go.

Almost there!!! Fingers crossed I should have my pride and joy back early January. Again I'll keep everyone updated for those that may care.

There are about 10 in the Imgur album for anyone that wants to see all the pics.

[url="http://imgur.com/a/z2q40/all"]http://imgur.com/a/z2q40/all[/url]

Thanks for posting the information and pics. Did Martin say anything about if he thought this "reasonable wear and tear" for the age and use of such an instrument?

Speaking for myself I'd be rather expecting a TR in normal use to last better than that. But what do I know?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1450710906' post='2935079']
Glad you've got it sorted and I'll bet it will be a massive amount less than quoted by 'W'... and I bet you'd never know the board has been off! :)
[/quote]

I hope so! :)

Martin has been great. A real nice guy and he has run through every last thing with me, explained how he is doing it and why, what needs to be done, etc.. He is definitely getting my custom again in future.

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1450712870' post='2935098']

I hope so! :)

Martin has been great. A real nice guy and he has run through every last thing with me, explained how he is doing it and why, what needs to be done, etc.. He is definitely getting my custom again in future.
[/quote]Excellent news. Customer service, it really is what business should be about as that's what results in repeat custom and recommendations. Keep us updated and I'm sure we'd all be interested in the price difference if you're willing to share.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1450373653' post='2932190']
For comparison at the price they are going for 3000 euros would buy you a Streamer Stage 1[u][b]and[/b][/u] thumb from the late 80's early 90's.. and probably a Streamer $$ from a more recent period...
[/quote]

I bought a new Thumb in the late 80s for £900. I was earning a lot less money than I do now, and my old house was worth £30k, not the £120k or so it would fetch now. It's called inflation.

The price of a Thumb now is probably on a par with the price then, allowing for inflation. However, touches like the sculpted headstock rear that took a little weight off it have gone.

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1450702226' post='2934953']

[/quote]

From those pictures it looks to me as if there's been some cracking and slippage of the truss rod anchor point, where that brass piece sits in the two cutouts. Hopefully Martin will also have done something about that.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1450262329' post='2931029']
It's my understanding that sorting out a truss on a neck through bass isn't impossible, it can just be a lot of work. I'm sure I've seen a video of Stuart Spector talking about this very thing on my youtube travels. At either rate, Martin Simms has a great reputation so fingers crossed it'll be ok!
[/quote]Ah, somebody said the 'S' word! How about cutting your losses and buying from a company that offers peerless after sales service.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1451232945' post='2938971']
Ah, somebody said the 'S' word! How about cutting your losses and buying from a company that offers peerless after sales service.
[/quote]

This is a thread about my broken Warwick bass guitar! Not a conversation about which is better between the two companies.

and for the record I don't like Spectors. :)

Martin will be calling me beginning of January when the workshop is back open so I will update everyone then!

Cool, I'm confident he'll sort it out nicely for you. He's completed some excellent fret work for me on a high end bass, ft a very reasonable price. His own brand of basses are also exceptional quality and very playable. Speaking to him he's clearly got an eye for detai with an engineering background and the skill to see through his work to fine completion. Best of luck (not that you need it now).

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1450702226' post='2934953']

There are about 10 in the Imgur album for anyone that wants to see all the pics.

[url="http://imgur.com/a/z2q40/all"]http://imgur.com/a/z2q40/all[/url]

[/quote]

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1451214281' post='2938793']
From those pictures it looks to me as if there's been some cracking and slippage of the truss rod anchor point, where that brass piece sits in the two cutouts. Hopefully Martin will also have done something about that.
[/quote]

If you look at the other pictures you can see that the break in the wood has been repaired by repositioning the broken bit, glued and metal pins inserted through it to strengthen the area.

What would really piss me off would be the choice of the wood by the original guy in the factory in the first place, for an instrument of this value it is a fundamentally bad choice of timber to make the neck from , the knott at the nut with the corresponding machining has weakened the structural point of the truss bearing surface to the point of it breaking. I would argue that the cause of this problem is purely down to the shoddy choice of timber used to make the neck in the first place.

Edited by lurksalot

Guest gazzatriumph

I own two Warwick Corvettes $$, I'm really pleased with them. I did a lot of research on Forums etc before buying them and there seemed to be an opinion that from the late 1990's to 2007 the quality of Warwick's wasn't so good, hence me buying a 2009 and 2010 made model. I wonder if anyone else can verify this. IMO buying a secondhand Warwick is very good value for money, the prices of the new proper German made ones are out of reach for most people.