Why become a member? ×

Warwick and their 'new' pricing system

funkyjimbob

One of my Warwick custom shops has been a bit squiffy in the neck department recently and is currently off being looked at by the marvellously talented Martin at Sims LEDs. In the meantime I thought I would contact Warwick as a worst case scenario and get a quote for a truss repair in case it needed to go back to them. The truss may not be broken but I just thought I'd get a quote in case it does need to be changed.

This morning I was presented with their repair cost which was slightly 'interesting' to say the least.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1450260564' post='2930986']
Something I'm curious about is why are there 2 handling charges.
Also, I would have thought the "Sanding of the whole bass and new Natural High Polish" was optional. It's a good chunk to take off the bill too.

Good luck on getting a good result.
[/quote]

I've asked them if all the other work is necessary so will see what nonsense they come back with this time. I'll update when I have a response.

I love Warwicks (having played them exclusively for about 50% of my time as a bass player) but their pricing is crazy.

When I was really bored one night I decided to spec a bass up to get it as close to the spec of my ACG as possible to see how much it would cost. It came to around the price of almost 4 ACGs. When you consider the several things that Warwick wouldn't be able to do (preamp and pickups are unique).

[color=#000000]
[size=2]"Hi James,[/size][/color][color=#000000]
[size=2] [/size][/color][color=#000000]
[size=2]I sadly cannot offer you any of those options, as we only restore the instrument, we do not modify it.[/size][/color][color=#000000]
[size=2]So if it came in with high gloss finish, we will only send it back with high gloss, if it came with LEDs, we’ll install new LEDs etc.[/size][/color][color=#000000]
[size=2]If you’d prefer a different finish, LEDs etc., then maybe a good local luthier would be a good option?[/size][/color][color=#000000]
[size=2]Best Regards,[/size][/color][color=#000000]
[size=2]David"[/size][/color]
[color=#000000]
[size=4]Fantastic customer support there. It's such a shame I love their basses so much as they are such money-grabbing bastards nowadays. Anyone got a [/size][size=4]Fodera I could try?[/size][/color]

What I want to know, is who's buying the German Warwicks at these prices? There must be some people out there paying 4k for a SS2 new?! Infinities are 3.5k! Utter madness. (I Love Warwicks for the record)

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1450261654' post='2931013']
What I want to know, is who's buying the German Warwicks at these prices. There must be some people out there paying 4k for a SS2 new?! 3.5k for an Infinity. Utter madness.(Love Warwicks for the record)
[/quote]

Luckily both of mine were second-hand purchases but were both still hefty amounts.

What makes me ever more sad about this is that I sold my lovely Zon Sonus Custom 6 string to fund this a few years back. Wish I'd kept it.

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1450261055' post='2930998']
About £8500.... They have me by the balls. :(
[/quote]

Or you buy a used Corvette and use the neck from that? Not the same finish, I grant you that, but at least the bass isn't a write-off.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1450261775' post='2931017']
Or you buy a used Corvette and use the neck from that? Not the same finish, I grant you that, but at least the bass isn't a write-off.
[/quote]

This could be an option if all else fails. Has anyone ever turned their through-neck into a bolt-on on here in such a way?

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1450261435' post='2931006']
[color=#000000][size=2]"Hi James,[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]I sadly cannot offer you any of those options, as we only restore the instrument, we do not modify it.[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=2]So if it came in with high gloss finish, we will only send it back with high gloss, if it came with LEDs, we’ll install new LEDs etc.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]If you’d prefer a different finish, LEDs etc., then maybe a good local luthier would be a good option?[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]Best Regards,[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=2]David"[/size][/color]

[color=#000000]Fantastic customer support there. It's such a shame I love their basses so much as they are such money-grabbing bastards nowadays. Anyone got a Fodera I could try?[/color]
[/quote]

Isn't that like a BMW garage saying, "when we change your gear-box we'll give it a complete re-spray. You have to pay for that because as the original spec didn't include chips and scratches, that's the only way we'll send it back out."

Or am I missing something. What if you like a road-worn looking Warwick?

They'd throw a fit if they saw my Corvette. I've got dings and scrapes and Chinese writing on the back of mine.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1450261869' post='2931020']

This could be an option if all else fails. Has anyone ever turned their through-neck into a bolt-on on here in such a way?
[/quote]

It's my understanding that sorting out a truss on a neck through bass isn't impossible, it can just be a lot of work. I'm sure I've seen a video of Stuart Spector talking about this very thing on my youtube travels. At either rate, Martin Simms has a great reputation so fingers crossed it'll be ok!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1450262099' post='2931024']
Isn't that like a BMW garage saying, "when we change your gear-box we'll give it a complete re-spray. You have to pay for that because as the original spec didn't include chips and scratches, that's the only way we'll send it back out."

Or am I missing something. What if you like a road-worn looking Warwick?

They'd throw a fit if they saw my Corvette. I've got dings and scrapes and Chinese writing on the back of mine.
[/quote]

My thoughts were similar. It's a good job they don't make cars! I can't imagine its an option many people take up. I dare say if any of the UK Luthiers had built you something they charged £8,000+ for you'd get pretty good after sales support.

Its not even asif you'd be adding much value to the bass, the second hand market for warwicks has always been heavily geared towards the buyer.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1450264427' post='2931073']
What does "squiffy" mean?

+1 for Martin at the Gallery.
[/quote]

Apologies should have explained before.

The neck has been moving about at the slightest of temperature changes and there was not a lot of tension in the neck. The truss rod was very stiff also. I sent it off to Martin and he left it in a humidity chamber as the bass was in the Carribean before and may have been holding lots of humidity, thus the movement in the neck. Since taking out of the chamber it has started to back-bow with strings on it again and the truss now has no effect on the neck.

Fudge me!!! If I'd spent that much on a bass and it has any defect ever I'd want a first class plane ticket to Germany to watch them repair it and being put up in one of those special hotels where there are lots of jacuzzis and scantily clad women walking about and.... You get the drift.