Why become a member? ×

Warwick and their 'new' pricing system

funkyjimbob

Not sure about Germany, but in the UK there is up to 6 years (5 in Scotland) to claim reasonable repair costs or replacement for a good; dependent on its value and how long it's lasted.

e.g. My £280 TV has just gone pop after 3yrs. I've got no chance getting a free repair. But if you'd paid £1,200 for a super-spiffy washing machine and it packs in after 3yrs I'd expect a free repair or replacement, less reasonable deduction for 3yrs use.

Of course the problem is deciding what is 'reasonable' both in terms of time and value, and unless you take the retailer (not the manufacturer) through small claims, you will get nowhere with after sales.

How long have you had it? £8.5k for a Bass should mean it ought to last years - even if regularly gigged - that's it's job after all. If the repair is beyond economic value then they ought to replace it.

I dunno about Warwick - but other German firms like Miele and Bosch take this sort of aftercare very seriously. Extended warranties are a con and standard 12mth guarantees are bare minimums if you ask me.

That repair quote is ridiculous... but that aside I don't really have an issue with Warwicks pricing.

I had a Thumb NT sixer for a bit and it was an exceptional bass and more importantly it had a unique tone which I could not replicate with any other bass. I believe the majority of Warwicks have this signature snarl and if that is the tone you want then nothing else will do. They are making something unique, well built and with a bit of history behind it.

You pays your money etc etc...

Edited by CamdenRob

Just for the record I love Warwicks... I just don't understand how they can justify the price of an instrument like this almost doubling in 6-7 years. I bought a standard Corvette back in 2004 which cost me about £800. They're over 2k now!!

I genuinely believe Warwick just don't want to repair this so therefore have high-priced me out of a repair. The good news is Martin is going full steam ahead so should have an update end of the week.

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1450271354' post='2931204']
Just for the record I love Warwicks... I just don't understand how they can justify the price of an instrument like this almost doubling in 6-7 years. I bought a standard Corvette back in 2004 which cost me about £800. They're over 2k now!!

I genuinely believe Warwick just don't want to repair this so therefore have high-priced me out of a repair. The good news is Martin is going full steam ahead so should have an update end of the week.
[/quote]

In 2004 the Corvette Standard was £550 on most retailers websites!! I remember it vividly, lusting after one on my study breaks!

I remember when a German made Corvette $$5 was new for about £750.

The laws of supply and demand must apply here though, are German Warwicks in such high demand they can demand these prices from customers ? I know Fodera can, but I don't get why you'd give them this much money for what is mostly a CNC'd instrument (with a LOT of mark up).

If demand for Warwicks was so high, 2nd hand prices would be high too ? They're laughably terrible.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1450280424' post='2931318']
.....If demand for Warwicks was so high, 2nd hand prices would be high too ? They're laughably [s]terrible.[/s] excellent
[/quote]

Corrected that as a used Warwick buyer - excellent value they are at the moment. Who would buy a full retail price one is another question altogether

Can you not take the bass to a professional lutheir and have them do the work for you? I'd imagine it would be a fraction of that cost and so long as you make sure to check references first the work should be just as good.

I must say I am totally shocked about their insisting on doing a complete restoration of the bass rather than merely repairing the actual fault. I'd certainly think twice before getting a Wawick after seeing this...

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1450284517' post='2931367']
.... I'd certainly think twice before getting a Wawick after seeing this...
[/quote]

All the more for me :). Stick to Corvettes (German, as low as £375, Rockbass versions pretty good as well for cheap as chips money) and enjoy what must be the bargain of current times.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1450294229' post='2931498']
All the more for me :). Stick to Corvettes (German, as low as £375, Rockbass versions pretty good as well for cheap as chips money) and enjoy what must be the bargain of current times.
[/quote]

I'm sure they are lovely, but their after-market service stinks if the above email is taken as an example. Getting a bass at that price (£8000) should warrant you some serious after-care - it's clearly a lifetime instrument that someone is purchasing after all. To refuse to repair a fault without also undertaking expensive and unnecessary additional work that the owner does not want or need doing is just disgusting to be honest. I appreciate that they don't do custom work but it is pretty clear that that is not what is being asked for here....

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1450349553' post='2931842']
I'm sure they are lovely, but their after-market service stinks if the above email is taken as an example. Getting a bass at that price (£8000) should warrant you some serious after-care - it's clearly a lifetime instrument that someone is purchasing after all. To refuse to repair a fault without also undertaking expensive and unnecessary additional work that the owner does not want or need doing is just disgusting to be honest. I appreciate that they don't do custom work but it is pretty clear that that is not what is being asked for here....
[/quote]

+1 and I am in total agreement, service like this is why I would not buy an expensive new Warwick (or even one of the lesser ones). Two days time at the factory and a truss rod will cost warwick £700 tops ? Losing even one high end instrument sale as consequence of this current level of customer service, the company will lose financially. Reputational loss and resulting loss of sales is anyone's guess. Subsequent damage to value of used Warwicks should also be factored in which will affect potential new purchases. Text book example of how not supporting your product when it fails is a 'bad' business decision.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1450351674' post='2931878']
I'd send a link to this thread to their marketing dept. and see what happens
[/quote]

Might be worth a try. Although from what I have heard about Warwick I'm sure things are not going to be changing anytime soon. :(

Edited by funkyjimbob

So, I just received a very long email from Hans himself!

To cut a long story short, he explained that the instrument was 9 years old (don't get this considering the supposed build quality) and Warwick can't be held responsible for how the bass is kept when it leave them. I kind of appreciate that and I understand the amount of work involved.. It was just the extortionate prices that I was concerned with!

He has offered me a 25% discount on the costs of the repair (which makes you wonder how much they mark-up is being made on the repair in the first place) but I suppose if the worst comes to the worst and Martin can't sort it then 3000 euros is better than 4000 euros. I will ask that everybody on this forum crosses their fingers for me and hopes that Martin can work his magic!

I'd ask them if they think 9yrs is ok for it to develop a serious fault that they should put a warning on their sales information. 'Brilliant product - will work perfectly for up to 8yrs. Please take out a savings plans for anticipated repair costs.'

I do like Warwick custom shop's work, but I would never pay those prices. If they need that much markup and can afford higher margins at the expense of lower sales volumes, that that is their business decision and if they remain profitable then it is viable.

What I don't see however is swarms of satisfied custom shop customers stating how great everything is, i sure do see a lot of 2nd hand custom shop basses for sale at massive losses though.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1450369118' post='2932127']
I do like Warwick custom shop's work, but I would never pay those prices. If they need that much markup and can afford higher margins at the expense of lower sales volumes, that that is their business decision and if they remain profitable then it is viable.

What I don't see however is swarms of satisfied custom shop customers stating how great everything is, i sure do see a lot of 2nd hand custom shop basses for sale at massive losses though.
[/quote]

I thought I'd add.. This is a topic I started last year.. Might be worth adding a warning label on their instruments.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/243973-want-to-see-what-an-ebay-seller-regarded-as-a-small-neck-twist/page__fromsearch__1

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1450367932' post='2932111']
So, I just received a very long email from Hans himself!

To cut a long story short, he explained that the instrument was 9 years old (don't get this considering the supposed build quality) and Warwick can't be held responsible for how the bass is kept when it leave them. I kind of appreciate that and I understand the amount of work involved.. It was just the extortionate prices that I was concerned with!

He has offered me a 25% discount on the costs of the repair (which makes you wonder how much they mark-up is being made on the repair in the first place) but I suppose if the worst comes to the worst and Martin can't sort it then 3000 euros is better than 4000 euros. I will ask that everybody on this forum crosses their fingers for me and hopes that Martin can work his magic!
[/quote]

I possibly needed new frets on my 1991 Streamer stance 1.... the price they quoted to ship and replace the frets was about 6 times what I had paid for it secondhand. In the end the guys at Alpher bass did an amazing job on the frets and sorted it for a tiny tiny price.

For comparison at the price they are going for 3000 euros would buy you a Streamer Stage 1[u][b]and[/b][/u] thumb from the late 80's early 90's.. and probably a Streamer $$ from a more recent period...
It would also get you a nice Fodera Standard secondhand (nice basses) or ....
It's just mental pricing. I've got a old Streamer and a very old thumb - great basses - but they aren't the be all and end all of basses (and combined cost under half of that 3000euro)

I really hope Martin can put the bass right for you. I can sort of see where Hans is coming from but I though better of Warwick than that
and would hope that they would stand by the quality of their product rather than quote that ludicrous amount for the repair/resto.