Why become a member? ×

Scott's Bass Lessons

blue

I am pretty new to Scott's lessons and I am thinking he has been discussed on BC in the past.

I get a lot of stuff from him I can apply to my bass playing on a daily basis. His approach and method of teaching is a good match with my rather low aptitude for learning anything.

He recently posted a a video that gets into stuff we as bass players focus on that we shouldn't. Mainly that gear is not going to make us better players.

What do you guys think of Scott?

Blue

Edited by blue

I really like the look of SBL, and his free videos (on his site and YouTube) seem really helpful. But they all seem to assume some knowledge of scales, chord progressions, arpeggios, etc. Is that something I should know about [i]before [/i]I sign up? Or something that SBL helps with?

Often I put on a video about something that seems simple, and he drops terminology and names of chord progressions that means nothing to me, which can be a bit disheartening! Don't get me wrong - this is stuff I definitely want to learn. Just don't want to sign up just yet if I won't get the most from it.

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1449791376' post='2927015']
I really like the look of SBL, and his free videos (on his site and YouTube) seem really helpful. But they all seem to assume some knowledge of scales, chord progressions, arpeggios, etc. Is that something I should know about [i]before [/i]I sign up? Or something that SBL helps with?

Often I put on a video about something that seems simple, and he drops terminology and names of chord progressions that means nothing to me, which can be a bit disheartening! Don't get me wrong - this is stuff I definitely want to learn. Just don't want to sign up just yet if I won't get the most from it.
[/quote]

It's a no lose proposition,signing up.As long as you have the time for this sort of study.

It's the hard stuff,lessons are not fun.This stuff pays off.

Blue

Im not a member of the academy, but i've liked everything i've seen that Scott has produced.
Not necessarily useful to me all the time, but some of the stuff has been.
Seems like a really decent bloke too! If i see one of his videos up on YouTube that i havent seen before, i'll usually check it out

I enjoy the videos - don't find all of them useful but I can see a place for a lot of the stuff he puts out there for free.

Top fella too...met him at the LBGS a couple of years ago and he took the time to talk to us and have my photo with him.

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/LBGS2014/LBGS2014038_zps43b95c05.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/LBGS2014/LBGS2014038_zps43b95c05.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1449791376' post='2927015']

[/quote]

I think there's a 30 day money back guaruntee, so if you join up and still don't find material that can join the dots and get you to the theory level to understand the more complex stuff, you can cancel membership and get your money back. Saying that, there is tons of material for all aptitude levels, so I would be surprised if you don't find what you're looking for.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1449839205' post='2927357']
I enjoy the videos - don't find all of them useful but I can see a place for a lot of the stuff he puts out there for free.

Top fella too...met him at the LBGS a couple of years ago and he took the time to talk to us and have my photo with him.

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/LBGS2014/LBGS2014038_zps43b95c05.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/LBGS2014/LBGS2014038_zps43b95c05.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Nice pic.

Blue

There is currently a 14 days free trial offer running on the SBL. I signed up because I am on the mailing list and received an e-mail saying that he posted interview with Hadrien Feraud and I really wanted to see it. Just want to mention that I am a 2nd year student doing my degree at one of the music schools in London. I highly encourage to try that trial offer and have a look around, I am certainly going to cancel it, not because I think it is not worth it, just purely due to my financial situation, because once the trial expires, you have to pay for one year straight away. It cost $168 which is about a £110, that's less than a 10 quid per month. Just think how much you have to pay for a one to one hour lesson with some good bass players and then do the maths. I am currently just trying to spend my time watching the archived seminars and there is a lot of it from not only a great bass players but a great educators as well. Add interviews and podcast etc. The layout is amazing, and you can tell that this website is very well prepared and structured, and I was a member of other very well known bass player website that charged much more and I cancelled due to poor organisation on the website. With the free trial I can't really see why you shouldn't just try it and make your own mind. I think it is well worth it, I am paying £6k a year tuition fees, of course you can't compare it because I am learning much more than bass playing and I am making a lot of connections with other musicians and play a lot, which is priceless, and this is the only downfall of learning online.

I'm an SBL subscriber as well - has inspired me to really strive to be an even better player. Scott's a great teacher, and puts his point across very well indeed, he's a really top bloke to talk to too (met him at the LBGS a couple of years ago).

There's a load of courses on there you can take in your own time, and the seminars from guys such as Joe Hubbard, Phil Mann, Zoltan Dekany, Rufus Philpot and Todd Johnson are superb. Damian Erskine did one on Monday night, and that was pretty cool :).

Definitely worth the subscription fee!

Love his stuff and method.... Wish the accadamy had a monthly subscription though as like a many do with gym memberships you start with the best of intentions to stick to routine but this can wax and wayne due to , well, life i guess......

Yes, i understand that its great value for money and paying for the year may be good incentive to keep the routine up.... But as i say.....life gets in the way sometimes.....

Ive learrnt alot of neat kicks and tech from scott but also love the marloweDK stuff, another great teacher, not as formal and theory based as scott but a great feel player who easily inspire further groove sense ?

I'm a member too. I haven't dedicated as much time as I could, but I will be doing from Feb onwards when I finish with the very busy band I'm currently in. He's got a great way of communicating, it's like having a mate over to give you some good pointers. Within the first couple of lessons I looked at, he cleared up some stuff that has been bugging me for years, like how chromatic approach notes work in walking basslines. I've had lessons locally in the past and nobody could tell me about that, and yet it's so simple when explained.
SBL for me is a great resource.

[quote name='odysseus' timestamp='1450306530' post='2931632']
I'm a member too. I haven't dedicated as much time as I could, but I will be doing from Feb onwards when I finish with the very busy band I'm currently in. He's got a great way of communicating, it's like having a mate over to give you some good pointers. Within the first couple of lessons I looked at, he cleared up some stuff that has been bugging me for years, like how chromatic approach notes work in walking basslines. I've had lessons locally in the past and nobody could tell me about that, and yet it's so simple when explained.
SBL for me is a great resource.
[/quote]

The guy comes off as a very sincere and a smokin, knowledgeable bass guitarist.He's not the least bit pretentious.

I get stuff out of his lessons even if I don't have a bass out and I'm just listening to him.

Blue

Edited by blue