Why become a member? ×

Recording Studios - How do you choose?

cheddatom

I have a studio near Stoke, and it's going OK. Everyone who's been to the studio seems very happy, and lots of them have returned. I could still do with some more business though, so, I'd like to know how do you choose the studio to record in?

It's not so much market research as a general discussion on the subject, which would be interesting even if I didn't have a studio

OK, I'll stick my head above the parapet ready for a good pounding!

For my band I'd love a studio that will do a live recording. What we have managed on just a tiny little Tascam in a rehearsal room is pretty close to what we need and would like but with just a little bit more control over the mixing, and, a decent vocal capture. Studios seem to want to offer an all or nothing approach - everyone isolated, overdubs etc, which we'd be hopeless at, and which needs hours of expensive mixing. I get the impression that some studios feel that that what we want is not possible. The sceptic in me thinks that this may be because my version won't be as profitable for them as their version :ph34r:

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1448294226' post='2914203']
OK, I'll stick my head above the parapet ready for a good pounding!

For my band I'd love a studio that will do a live recording. What we have managed on just a tiny little Tascam in a rehearsal room is pretty close to what we need and would like but with just a little bit more control over the mixing, and, a decent vocal capture. Studios seem to want to offer an all or nothing approach - everyone isolated, overdubs etc, which we'd be hopeless at, and which needs hours of expensive mixing. I get the impression that some studios feel that that what we want is not possible. The sceptic in me thinks that this may be because my version won't be as profitable for them as their version :ph34r:
[/quote]

Your approach is perfectly reasonable. You just need to find the right place with the right engineer.

A lot of the time my band record either at someone's house or hire an empty rehearsal studio for the day & take all our recording stuff along with us. With moderate standard recording equipment being available at not horrendous prices I think a lot of the bands I know do this - the results aren't perfect or necessarily as good as can be achieved in a studio with a quality engineer but they're not bad so long as one of you has an idea what they're doing.

When I have used recording studios in the past it's generally been driven by the obvious factors of location & price, picking between similar ones has often been down to peer reviews or how they were like when inquiring.

Have you done any competition analysis? Always good to know what your rivals are up to...

Mykesbass - "live recording" is something I do quite often, if requested. It's always preferable for me to go over the vocals separately so that there's no bleed at all from other instruments, but sometimes that's not what the customer wants. I do whatever it takes to get the best performance 'cos this is way more important than the sound of it IMO

Lw - There are loads of rivals around here. I think in terms of price there are 2 in direct competition (at the bottom, price wise). I don't see much advertising from them. I'm not sure what else to analyse?

Location and price are what I'd assumed would be the main deciders, but I remember choosing a studio years ago, and we'd decided that for some reason we would only choose a studio with a Control 24 Pro Tools desk?!? So I imagine there are some pretty random factors

As a gigging covers band we also only need a slightly more polished version of what we do live. I've always just gone in recorded a few live takes and then overdubbed the guide vocal from the original take. Cost is a factor when you are probably only getting £250 a gig.

All three of my bands have had a very similar experience. You go in and spend a couple of hours setting up, mainly on the drums. Then we run through a song, record a take, listen and go again if we aren't happy. Then singers go in and record the vocals. We've only needed the second take once luckily enough so generally we've comfortably got 5 songs down by lunchtime, and usually just the three best are mixed down by the end of the afternoon.

When I'm looking for a studio just some examples of the engineers work and a guide to price is all I need, and someone who'll ring back promptly. Surprisingly some studios still don't offer a very well maintained web site. The first time you have no idea how efficient the process can be so a cost per hour can look daunting. A special offer of say four hours recording with a mix of the best three songs looks a lot less scary if you haven't done it before.

I'd go on the local music websites and do a 'special offer' there. Round here Lemonrock would reach just about all the local gigging, and hence semi pro, bands but I don't know which cover your area.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1448295558' post='2914223']
Mykesbass - "live recording" is something I do quite often, if requested. It's always preferable for me to go over the vocals separately so that there's no bleed at all from other instruments, but sometimes that's not what the customer wants. I do whatever it takes to get the best performance 'cos this is way more important than the sound of it IMO

[/quote]

Let me know when you open your south coast branch :)

We`ve chosen the studio for our next album based upon what they`ve done for others on the same scene as us. I really like the production, and having spoken to the bands that have recorded there it also seems that they work in the same manner as us all well, so fingers crossed, all should be good.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1448295558' post='2914223']
Lw - There are loads of rivals around here. I think in terms of price there are 2 in direct competition (at the bottom, price wise). I don't see much advertising from them. I'm not sure what else to analyse?
[/quote]

Yes so narrow it down on the ones that are nearest you price level (no point comparing yourself to mega-bucks studios if that's not your demographic) then compare things like; services offered (above the norm), price offers, general cleanliness, online profile (if I type "studio stoke" into google are you the first one?), direct communication, advertising, local sponsorship (ie a stage at local charity gigs/festivals) etc... See what they're doing then make sure you're doing it all better. If you already are doing most of it focus on the online side.

As an aside - looking at your website; you're incredibly cheap compared to everything down here - even the grimiest hole is £40 for three hours round these parts!

Usually, friends in other bands recommendations. We will listen to recordings from the studio and decide from there. Most the time we will pay a little extra for that bit of sparkle. I will say (and I've encountered this a fair bit) producers don't understand when the band says "The mix we want to hear, not the mix you want to hear".

Oh - don't use Matt Terry to record with. Biggest waste of time and money ever.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1448296198' post='2914230']
We`ve chosen the studio for our next album based upon what they`ve done for others on the same scene as us. I really like the production, and having spoken to the bands that have recorded there it also seems that they work in the same manner as us all well, so fingers crossed, all should be good.
[/quote]

My bands have always done this in the past. We've also chosen places based on whether they record to tape and record live.
I tend to do much of it myself now, but generally it's based on experiences and results of bands similar to our sound.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1448297494' post='2914247']
Usually, friends in other bands recommendations.
[/quote]

Yup, either this or (more commonly in my limited experience) someone in the band "has a mate with a studio" or a mate "who's an engineer and can get us a really good deal".

Speaking purely for myself, I would always go with someone I know personally and trust, rather than with the "best" studio and a bunch of strangers.

I've not done a massive amount of recording, especially in a "proper" studio.

I've met one engineer whose main line was "It was sh*t, do it again." While technically he is a great studio engineer, the fact that he is a total tool made "red light fever" a real difficulty. So for me it is a case of the level of customer service. -I'm a live player, experienced and competant- I'm also a studio novice

Yes, here in France, for most 'originals' bands, it's word of mouth from bands with similar needs (Garage, Prog-Rock, Folk etc...). The first studio we went to, on a proximity score, as a ska/punk/rock group, was more accustomed to chorale work and acoustic/vocal ensembles..! The next albums were done with a Garage bloke, 200 kms away, but more geared up towards the genre aimed for. Once contact established, he became the 'go to' bloke, and we recommended him to others. Get a few bands in that are 'up your street', and they'll be loyal, and recommend you.

We talked about going into a studio but the results we have have got from a laptop and Cubase have been too good to warrant spending a load of money in a strange environment ending up with a rushed, compromised product, what influenced to use studios in the past was recommendation and reputation, we have two such studios near us in Far Heath in Guilsborough and The Lodge in Northampton...whether both still exist I don't even know!

If you give an Engr a lot ot mix, he'll take it and the bill will ramp right up.

If the studio was costing £150 per day/per 8 hrs, then I would go for a quick fire job and mix
and be reasonabale with the expectations and limitations that that will get you...

As a player I'd want £150 a day or 2 x 4hrs so it is hardly reasonable to expect fab results
on a shoestring.
If you get it, bonus... but that sort of rate is knock it out cheap and a loss leader price, IMO.

Not knocking it, but don't expect the world.

We always choose the engineer first and the studio becomes secondary. In recent years we've used a chap called Matt Hyde based in Wimbledon a few times and he's been great to work with. Once we have his time booked we just hire a convenient and well equiped studio to track stuff in and then everything else is done at his home. He's worked for a lot of metal bands like Slipknott, Bullet For My Valentine and Funeral For A Friend but he's also done albums for Rodrigo Y Gabriella and others.

I personally prefer this approach as it feels less compromised. You may like a particular studio for atmosphere and feel but their engineers may not be the right fit or vice versa.

Not much choice locally so its an easy decision. I say easy but not pleasurable. It seems to take forever to setup and whilst the chap is pleasant enough he seems to know his own mind and not be too bothered about his customers opinions. After having 2 previous sessions at the same place where he'd made my bass sound like an angry wasp i got very uptight and suggested he just plug me straight into the desk - i couldn't work out how the sound he'd recorded was nothing like that coming from my amp. For some reason he insisted on keeping the same setup - guess what - same results.

Fortunatley i was able to have the tracks seperated and then took the project home and re-recorded the bass on my £130 USB interface and it sounds about a million times better.

Recommendations are good but make sure you listen to their recordings. The best and simplest way is to go to the studios web site and listen to their work. If you want to release a great sounding album or EP you need to be realistic about what you can achieve within your time and budget but also make sure the studio has done tracks that sound like a commercial release and not just average Demos.

Good stuff! Lw - I don't do very well online but can't figure out why. My meta tags are pretty good and I'm listed on all the relevant directories. Maybe I need to start advertising with google again but it wasn't very effective. Regarding interaction with local organisations etc I think we're more involved than the competition, so that's good.

All of the customers I've had so far have been from word of mouth/referrals (except Pete who came from Basschat) or from community engagement like sponsoring competitions etc.

Maybe open your studio to rehearsal slots too?

The place my band used to use was also a recording studio. Place had bands in every night; probably 2 nights a week recording, and the rest of the time rehearsals.

Kept the money rolling in and because the bands that used it to rehearse in were familiar with it they would all record there aswell.

We base our rehearsals on cheapest based on time/distance for members, but in terms of recording It really is a case of who I know and reocmmendations.

The place we will probably use in our next session will be the place i've always gone because of a stupidly good engineer, and friends with the two owners since before they set it up.... doesn't really help you though.