Why become a member? ×

Using the 'Quote' button

Japhet

Why does this not work on my computer? Is it the operating software or something else. Also I cannot put a Youtube link in a thread, even when removing the 's' from http. Anyone got ant ideas. I'm hopeless with computers by the way so please keep it simple Peeps.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1447512861' post='2908213']
Why does this not work on my computer? Is it the operating software or something else. Also I cannot put a Youtube link in a thread, even when removing the 's' from http. Anyone got ant ideas. I'm hopeless with computers by the way so please keep it simple Peeps.
[/quote]

The quote button never used to work for me, which I think might have been software related i.e. windows 7.1.

Try clicking in the reply box first to get the cursor, then press quote...

... Also I cannot put a Youtube link in a thread, even when removing the 's' from http.
[/quote]

Use the Youtube share link without the s - e.g http: //youtu.be/RBqcHDDuDo8 without the gap in between [ media ] and [ /media ] without the gaps ...

[media]http://youtu.be/RBqcHDDuDo8[/media]

Edited by EssentialTension

[/quote]

Insufficient information to give a definitive answer (what type of computer (PC..? Mac..?), what Operating System, or OS (XP, Windows 7, 8, 10, Linux, Snow Leopard etc...),which browser (Internet Explorer, IE..? Chrome..? Firefox etc..?)).
There are known flaws in many Microsoft browsers (IE...) in which the correct (Microsoft..!) protocols are not followed. These are beyond hope from a forum point of view; the only solution is to use another browser (Chrome, Firefox; there are others still...) for browsing the forum. At a rough guess, I'd suggest that's the case here. Can you at least try another browser and see if it solves the issues..? To pursue the subject, we'd need more details of your system though.
Hope this helps.

Basschat always blames the operating systems for the faults, I gave up trying to use Chrome and switched to Firefox, which, to be fair, is far better but still regularly throws up "Firefox has prevented an outdated thingamajig from working....etc" Does the Basschat software come from The Pound Shop or do we need to put another 50p in the squirrel? :ph34r:

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1447599857' post='2908780']
Basschat always blames the operating systems for the faults, I gave up trying to use Chrome and switched to Firefox, which, to be fair, is far better but still regularly throws up "Firefox has prevented an outdated thingamajig from working....etc" Does the Basschat software come from The Pound Shop or do we need to put another 50p in the squirrel? :ph34r:
[/quote]

Mozilla (Firefox) pulled the plug on Flash Player and Google (Chrome) have followed suit, albeit in a somewhat gentler way.
That's what your copy of Firefox is trying to tell you, in a rather... inexplicable way. :rolleyes:

Flash Player is full of security holes (it always has been) but things have come to a bit of a head recently with various browser manufacturers demanding to know the eol date for Flash.

Unfortunately, the current version of forum software relies on.... you guessed it. :)

There is a project running behind the scenes here to roll out some new software, but we want to make sure it's right before we do so... getting rid of a few niggly problems but making 100 others in the process doesn't sit well with us.

So, not our fault, but we're working on it. :)

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1447599857' post='2908780']
... switched to Firefox, which, to be fair, is far better but still regularly throws up "Firefox has prevented an outdated thingamajig from working....etc" ...
[/quote]

I have always used Firefox and I have never had this problem. What am I doing wrong?

The only way I can get IE to allow use of Quote is to click the reply window to highlight options, then click on the "toggle editing mode" button on the top right of the window to put it into basic mode.
Then click on the Quote button.
I've also found that unless I'm in basic edit mode a number of letters don't show - I have to type really, really slowly - and sometimes it causes IE to crash.
Funnily enough, forums using BB software don't seem to have this problem...

Edited by Leonard Smalls

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1447923881' post='2911447']
Another problem I've just discovered after the latest IE update is that whenever I click on a topic or a sub-forum it asks if I'm sure I want to leave this page, as if it thinks I've typed some stuff in that I'd lose if I moved pages...
[/quote]

However, I've just swapped to Microsoft's Edge browser and all the features seem to work.
The only problem is that copying and pasting urls is much more difficult than it is in IE...

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1447923705' post='2911444']
The only way I can get IE to allow use of Quote is to click the reply window to highlight options, then click on the "toggle editing mode" button on the top right of the window to put it into basic mode.
Then click on the Quote button.
I've also found that unless I'm in basic edit mode a number of letters don't show - I have to type really, really slowly - and sometimes it causes IE to crash.
Funnily enough, forums using BB software don't seem to have this problem...
[/quote]
Oh yeah, I was having just the same issues with the slow typing missing letters thing. Well done! Still not sure if it will let me do a link or URL though as all those editing options are greyed out. Can't even put in a grumpy smiley now :(

I take that last bit back!!

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

Just to butt in with a pet peeve of mine... ;)

[i](Ab)use of the quote button [major felony][/i]: when people hog page space by lazily quoting huge passages of text, rather than trimming the quote down to size.

Made even worse when big chunks of text are quoted, only to be followed by "^This" or "+1".

It's an outrage!!!

That is all. As you were.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1447951812' post='2911796']
Just to butt in with a pet peeve of mine... ;)

[i](Ab)use of the quote button [major felony][/i]: when people hog page space by lazily quoting huge passages of text, rather than trimming the quote down to size.

Made even worse when big chunks of text are quoted, only to be followed by "^This" or "+1".

That is all. As you were.
[/quote]

Agreed, especially when huge images are left in as well. Trouble is, forum users in the main weren't brought up on Usenet so never learnt good practice.

Oh yes, and as for the self-indulgent gits who have screeds and screeds of stuff in the "Interests" bit which means their posts take up half a page when they generally just have one sentence to say - why oh why? At least with self-indulgent sigs, we can switch off all sigs or the sig of that particular person. It's much trickier to do that with Interests and could have unforeseen consequences.