Why become a member? ×

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow 25/6/16

There was a rumour he might do Download next year but seen no confirmation anywhere. If it was a festival gig and i liked the look of most of the other bands I might consider it. Maybe selling out Brum might encourage him to look at other options?

Despite using the workaday set up of a Strat through a Marshall, Blackmore has a really unique touch and tone; he does stand apart. Yeah, he's painted as, and may well be, a knob, but he has written some pretty catchy riffs and tunes too. Interestingly enough, his now, long time replacement, Steve Morse is a very unique player too. DP have had some fine axe wielders and no mistake; Tommy Bolin was no slouch.

Apologies for the slight derail - as you were.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1446824379' post='2902701']
Surely Bob Daisley has to be fav as bassist. Don't think RB & Jimmy Bain saw eye to eye.
[/quote]
Probably a myth but the story goes that on the Morning Blacmore sacked Jimmy Bain, he went into Bain's hotel bedroom, set Bain's bed on fire whilst he was asleep and as Bain srambled out of bed Blackmore told him he was fired. Surely a myth..............then again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQW_DFADO6I

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1446815616' post='2902581']

It's the one with Dougie White on vox. Not bad but a bit 'generic' I thought.
[/quote]

My mum's cousin! I joked at the time that I would see him with Malmsteen in a few years. He laughed, but sure enough.......after RB's Rainbow, he got the Malmsteen gig!

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1446833976' post='2902814']
[url="http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-11-06/blackmore-s-touring-lineup-revealed"]Lineup[/url]
[/quote]
Aaaaaaand:

[media]http://youtu.be/tUBjVvLoRoY[/media]

Dude sounds like a tribute-band Dio.

J

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446748884' post='2902073']
Cynical cash-grab-tastic.

It'll be Chuckles Blackmore & a bunch of American session players. I have read that there is a specific vocalist but he is an "unknown". Presumably someone from a Rainbow/Purple tribute.

The only people you'd really want to see in a Rainbow reunion are dead.

Jon.
[/quote]

My good friend from high school Chuck Burgi played with Rainbow back in the day.

Chuck has been with Billy Joel for the past 9 years. Chuck was light years ahead of everyone, even back in High School.

Blue

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1446843427' post='2902937']
If Cozy aint in it (and even with Ritches black magic, he still wont be) then to me it aint Rainbow. Just watch the live in Germany dvd. The guy was a perfect foil for Blackmores playing.
[/quote]Cozy is one of the few drummers that i like listening to drum solo`s

• 7 months later...

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I got the last seated ticket late last afternoon and went along. Rip-off commission, rip-off admin fee, rip-off parking but a good gig![/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I really enjoyed it! Blackmore wasn't as fast as he used to be but he still did some great guitar work (sweep picking, great runs) despite being 71. Really really enjoyed it! [/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The instrumental section in the middle with the drum solo and keyboard part wasn't popular from what I can tell by online reviews but I really enjoyed it- Jens Johansson was on keyboards and his solo section was really enjoyable.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]No Marshall stacks - Engl everywhere. I will post videos on YouTube if I get a chance[/font]

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1466966084' post='3080101']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I got the last seated ticket late last afternoon and went along. Rip-off commission, rip-off admin fee, rip-off parking but a good gig![/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I really enjoyed it! Blackmore wasn't as fast as he used to be but he still did some great guitar work (sweep picking, great runs) despite being 71. Really really enjoyed it! [/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The instrumental section in the middle with the drum solo and keyboard part wasn't popular from what I can tell by online reviews but I really enjoyed it- Jens Johansson was on keyboards and his solo section was really enjoyable.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]No Marshall stacks - Engl everywhere. I will post videos on YouTube if I get a chance[/font]
[/quote]

Glad to hear it was a good show in the end! A few friends and I initially scrambled to get tickets when we first heard about it but then (like a lot of people on here, I guess) stopped trying when we found out that it was basically going to be "Ritchie Blackmore plus some session musicians" and the last tickets had shot up to £200+! Would have been great to see the man in black, but getting down to Brum from London, Leeds and Leicester on top of the ticket price was a stretch too far for us - but I wouldn't mind seeing those clips if you've still got them.