Why become a member? ×

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow 25/6/16

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1446748686' post='2902063']
Not sure, but being an avid Planet Rock listener, there has been mention that Joe Lynn Turner desperatley wanted to be incuded, but seems Blackmore snubbed him. It also seem Roger Glover wants no part
[/quote]
Smart bloke that Glover. Can't say I blame him.

Cynical cash-grab-tastic.

It'll be Chuckles Blackmore & a bunch of American session players. I have read that there is a specific vocalist but he is an "unknown". Presumably someone from a Rainbow/Purple tribute.

The only people you'd really want to see in a Rainbow reunion are dead.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446748884' post='2902073']
Cynical cash-grab-tastic.

It'll be Chuckles Blackmore & a bunch of American session players. I have read that there is a specific vocalist but he is an "unknown". Presumably someone from a Rainbow/Purple tribute.

The only people you'd really want to see in a Rainbow reunion are dead.

Jon.
[/quote]
So, just RB playing Rainbow & Deep Purple songs then. I think I'll steer around that one then.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446749582' post='2902084']
There's going to be a reason that dates are booked, tickets are on sale, but the only member of the "lineup" that's been announced is Uncle Ritchie.

J.
[/quote]

It's not like he's never gone out under the Rainbow name with a bunch of unknown musicians before, in fact I seem to remember that the vast majority of the members of the original Rainbow lineup were unknowns too.

I guess the reason he's doing it is that for years he's had to put up with people whinging about the fact that he doesn't play the old rock stuff anymore, but when he decides to do a couple of dates doing just that people whinge about that too.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1446751094' post='2902110']
It's not like he's never gone out under the Rainbow name with a bunch of unknown musicians before, in fact I seem to remember that the vast majority of the members of the original Rainbow lineup were unknowns too.
[/quote]

They all were - the original lineup was Ronnie Dio's band Elf. Minus their guitarist, of course.

J.

Edited by Bassassin

Interesting comment about Roger Glover. I think there'd be some friendships at stake with the remaining member of Purple, seeing as how there was never any love lost between Ian Gillan and Blackmore, if either he or Ian Paice chipped in. And David Coverdale's on shotgun terms with him too.
In any case wasn't the Rainbow rock family tree one of the biggest to choose from. Wasn't Neil Murray in the band for a while, or am I thinking of Whitesnake?

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1446760630' post='2902224']
Rainbow's bassists were Craig Gruber, Jimmy Bain, Bob Daisley and Roger Glover, but not all at the same time ;)
[/quote]

And Greg Smith, who played bass on the 1995 Rainbow album "Stranger in us all".

A mate of mine sent me the link to this a few days ago but it's fifty odd quid minimum after extras, the parking at the venue has become a rip off and there's not a single confirmed member of the band other than a vocalist who RB tells us we won't have heard of anyway. It's not jumping out at me as a 'must see' gig. The last time I saw him play with DP he was a complete tw@t all night. Same venue come to think of it...

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1446768140' post='2902296']
I will pass, though back in the day Blackmore was a terrific guitarist IMO.
Reckon there will be plenty of interest, if only to see Blackmore play electric guitar again after all this time
[/quote]

He's never stopped playing electric guitar, I don't know where people get this idea from.
I've seen him with Blackmore's Night & he's played electric guitar every time, and as well if not better than I've heard him play in the past.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1446811711' post='2902515']
He's never stopped playing electric guitar, I don't know where people get this idea from.
I've seen him with Blackmore's Night & he's played electric guitar every time, and as well if not better than I've heard him play in the past.
[/quote]
Sure, but it is in a Rock context that Blackmore became a household name in terms of electric guitar, marshall stacks etc. For what ever reason, back in the 70's every kid on the street where I grew up had at least a couple of Deep Purple albums and even today when my mates and I get together over a beer or two, it has often been argued that Blackmore was the greatest rock guitarist ever (electric of course :) ).
I saw Blackmore in '85 with 'Purple and he was terrific and although I have seen them a couple of times with Steve Morse, I am afraid IMO, no Blackmore no 'Purple.
If, as you say he is playing better than ever, then that could be a game changer for me and I might just pull the trigger on a ticket, if only for old times sake.