Why become a member? ×

World's best tribute band

stevie

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1446209156' post='2897727']
I second Doors Alive. Saw then recently and was very impressed. Managed to conjure an atmosphere as well as a solid performance.
[/quote]

Yes they are a good act, they are the 3rd or 4th Doors trib I've seen through the years and are the next best after the Australians for me. I was a bit surprised when i chatted to the singer after a gig a couple of years ago how Scottish he was! They were supposed to be playing in Derby tonight and I might have gone but they've been replaced by an act called 'the strange doors' who look a bit second rate by comparison from their website.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1446213182' post='2897787']
I think I rather pay to see what makes Gilmour special rather than someone trying to just sound like Gilmour
[/quote]

There was something like an 8 or 9 year gap between Dave Gilmour's last tour and this one. At that rate he'll be nearly 80 when the next tour kicks off, so seeing the real thing can be rather problematic. I don't buy the "I'd only go to see the original" view. If you're a fan, or even not, then a good tribute is a very good thing indeed.

Brian Wilson went to see a Beach Boys Tribute band in Las Vegas and they were so good he hired them to play with him, as the Beach Boys. That's got to be a feather in your cap as a musician.

The Straits were a Dire Straits tribute band, which contained members of the Dire Straits touring band and Steve Ferrone on drums. That was a great band by any measure, and with their "Mark Knopfler", Terry Reiss, they obviously had Dire Straits down to a T.

Undoubtedly there are many talented musicians on the Tribute scene, who do an excellent job, so I'm not knocking them but I've got no interest in going to see them.

Back in the 70's I endured a twenty minute Jimmy Page solo played with a violin bow, it was a miserable thing then and the thought of sitting through it all again, with some pretender dishing out the torment, makes me feel a bit ill :(

For me, it has to be the real deal or not at all.

I feel the same about pretend, vintage instruments.

I can take the bashing that's heading my way, so fill your boots :lol:

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1446221384' post='2897900']
Let us know how it goes. Seen the others, not for a few years though. My first TMB gig was mid-90s in Atlanta, really enjoyable. Ditto years later at the Royal Albert Hall when Steve Hackett joined in for a bonus Firth Of Fifth encore.
[/quote]Will do.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446247191' post='2898158']
The Dukes Of September. . . back in 1991 theses guys had a band called the New York Rock And Soul Review. There's a live CD, which I have.
[/quote]

Wasn't there a CBS Orchestra band as well....featuring the likes of Phoebe Snow?
I have that tape

Edited by JTUK

Not mentioned yet, I believe, but the Concertgebouworkest tribute band Berliner Philharmoniker also are amongst the best.
Sadly slightly too polished though.
IMHO

Edit:
I saw JTUK's post first now. Mine wasn't a comment on it, so no bad attempt at humour or snide here.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1446310064' post='2898526']

Going to hear them in Berlin over Christmas/New Year.
[/quote]

We have been over to see them a couple of times,
I think you will enjoy them. :)

They use music stands as well, you would have thought they
knew all those old tunes by now.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1446310064' post='2898526']
Going to hear them in Berlin over Christmas/New Year.
[/quote]

Congrats! It's gonna be great, but you already knew that.
Will Simon Rattle himself be conducting them? IMHO he's one of the very greatest, and has been for 3 to 4 decades.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1446373040' post='2898795']
Has a tribute band ever been mistaken for the original band? Surely this would make them the best...
[/quote]

I was once asked to sign some original memorabilia of the band, but in my own name. Odd.

I played a one off tour in a Cure tribute band. On the second night a guy in the audience was shouting "Simon, Simon" at me and clearly crying as I played the ending of A Forest. A bit weird. I found it quite limiting playing exactly like someone else and recreating the studio recordings of a band who sound quite different when they play the songs live, so I'll stick to playing originals.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1446503528' post='2899946']
a guy in the audience was shouting "Simon, Simon" at me and clearly crying as I played the ending of A Forest. A bit weird.
[/quote]

Now, I'd have been very happy that I was connecting with the audience to that degree. The reason actors love the theatre so much, night after night, is the reaction of the audience. Why do so many musicians not connect with an audience to that level?

IMO an original bass line is just a bass line. No different to any other bass line.

If you wrote A Forest then you'd be just as trapped as some guy playing it in a tribute band.