Why become a member? ×

"Seriously?".. albums you like, but you're flying solo...

The Admiral

I was listening to Planet Rock this afternoon and heard some Black Sabbath, and was musing on what a great track I think "Never say die" is, but its from an album that was made as Ozzy was in and out of the band before quitting to go solo I believe.

I remember when it came out, I thought it was a good album, but my mates thought otherwise.

Which set me thinking about other albums from my youth, where I thought they were really good, and others thought they were, frankly, sh*te!

And that brought to mind 'Harder Faster' by April Wine - the Canadian band, from which the video comes. It looks like it was filmed in Le Studio in Quebec - beloved of Rush in their heyday.

Probably their biggest hit : "I like to rock"

I had this on vinyl, and vaguely remember one of the sleeve pics was of the guitarist's frankly Nigel Tufnell-esque collection of about 40 Les Paul's : all on stands, out in the studio, and him standing in the centre like some squire with his prize herd! Can't find the pic though,and my vinyl is in a storage unit currently.

What's your "Seriously?" album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcY_enzwmI

Wham, "Make It Big." I have been widely ridiculed for this choice since I bought it in 1984, but I still love it and reckon that there isn't a duff track on the album. It sold about 10 million copies, so I can't be alone in owning it but I think everyone else denies it!

I think they were unfairly dismissed as Pretty Boy Pop by the musical fraternity and they always had a pretty decent band with them. If nothing else, the (not on this album) Club Tropicana bass line is fearsome.

Always liked never Say die meself, was a bit overproduced for my liking though.

Mine is probably Air Cut by Curved Air, it was the one that didn't feature Darryl Way, and was a bugger to get hold of when CD's came out, no one was interested, but I think its a cracking album!

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1445622116' post='2892943']
Wham, "Make It Big." I have been widely ridiculed for this choice since I bought it in 1984, but I still love it and reckon that there isn't a duff track on the album. It sold about 10 million copies, so I can't be alone in owning it but I think everyone else denies it!

I think they were unfairly dismissed as Pretty Boy Pop by the musical fraternity and they always had a pretty decent band with them. If nothing else, the (not on this album) Club Tropicana bass line is fearsome.
[/quote]

Deon Estus on bass I think...... I agree, great line, and 'I'm your man' is a fantastic party track. It has the added attraction of offering your singer the chance to play some tambourine!!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1445621774' post='2892937']
Now Then by Stiff Little Fingers...even the band don't like it but I think it is definitely one of their best......Bits of Kids, touch and Go and Falling down being my pick of the tracks
[/quote]

I'm with you on that. I even like the cover of Love of the Common People on there.

Albums - I bought Spilt Milk by Jellyfish back the early 90s, and to this day maintain it's one of the best pop records ever, despite every I introduce to it telling me it's sh*te.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1445625684' post='2892996']
Here goes.... Scoundrel Days by A-ha. It's probably personal, but the first time it I heard it I was in Norway (Bergen). Admittedly a bit twiddly-diddly pop in places but the songs are great with beautiful lyrics.
[/quote]

I [i]love[/i] A-HA, got their first two albums on cassette somewhere. Bought them when they first came out and have been listening to them ever since, on and off.
Good call Sir!

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1445639056' post='2893121']
Mingus by Joni Mitchell is one of my favourite albums but every time I try and convert someone they just won't have it. On the other foot I refuse to accept trout mask replica is anything other than nonsense. Great cover though!
[/quote]+1. And I love all of that Joni period. Have you got Don Juan? Apparently Charlie didn't like the job she'd done on his stuff.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1445666262' post='2893183']
+1. And I love all of that Joni period. Have you got Don Juan? Apparently Charlie didn't like the job she'd done on his stuff.
[/quote]

All of that period is immense and I'm forever a joni evangelist. I came across this yesterday which is an amazing document of the period leading up to the mingus album http://www.deezer.com/album/10969184

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1445730869' post='2893794']
Elyse Weinberg , a strange folky kind of offering that i got from my sisters collection on the basis that she never heard it again :)
I think it is superb
[/quote]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQu6IpZ7PLc"]https://www.youtube....h?v=QQu6IpZ7PLc[/url]

Trying to think what it reminds me of. I will have to find out more. Thanks :)

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1445732032' post='2893802']

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQu6IpZ7PLc"]https://www.youtube....h?v=QQu6IpZ7PLc[/url]

Trying to think what it reminds me of. I will have to find out more. Thanks :)
[/quote]
I fear there is not too much to find , one album and a couple of recently found tracks , but I like it

Edited by lurksalot