Why become a member? ×

Do I need a fridge?

phil.c60

Played with some new guys at a new (to me) rehearsal room last night, and guess what: there, lurking in the corner was the supplied bass rig, an Ampeg 8x10 with an Ampeg amp perched on the top. Stupidly, I didn't look at the amp model number. Set it all flat, plugged in my trusty Hot Rod P, and away I went. Oh My Dear Lord, what a sound. I have never had the opportunity to play through one of these before, but did I say - Oh My Dear Lord what a sound.
I play mostly smallish pub gigs with my Barefaced Compact and LM3, which is plenty. But.......I am wandering around at work thinking "can I fit it in my car? Would it be [i]that [/i]outrageous to turn up with it? Can I actually lift an SVT and plonk it on the top at my age?" not to mention how to sneak (!) it into the house (disguised as a fridge, perhaps?).
Can anybody help me?

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1445520150' post='2892098']
...can I fit it in my car? Would it be [i]that [/i]outrageous to turn up with it? Can I actually lift an SVT and plonk it on the top at my age?
[/quote]

There's not much beats a fridge, as you discovered. I recently went through all this in my mind (yet again) and came to the conclusion that it's largely about having drivers up at chest height where you can hear 'em. And one fridge is equivalent to two of any other cab, so you get all the advantages (and disadvantages) of a two-cab set-up. I'd go with Lw above and get another Compact. You would see a huge difference, but two Compacts are a hell of a lot easier to haul than a fridge and I can tell you that hauling a fridge gets old really quick.

If two Compacts don't do it for you and it HAS to be an 8X10, there are other brands available... and some of 'em are smaller and lighter!

Edit: Bertbass of this parish gigged pubs for decades with a fridge and no-one batted an eyelid. They may have gone home deaf, but they didn't bat their eyelids. ;)

Edited by discreet

I use to have the Ampeg rig. Was the best bass sound I ever had - trouser flappingly loud and acres of headroom. Loved it even though was only doing the pub circuit. BUT - was huge. Wouldn't fit in my car so had to always keep it in storage then in band van. I could barely move it myself. Eventually, after it had lived in my dining room for a few weeks, my missis insisted I shift it. Now on Orange Bass Terror and SP212 - sound ace, tiny, lives in the boot of my car. Happy wife! Happy back!
They are blood ace though Andy

Just had almost the same experience a few weeks back - Pioneer Studios in Colchester where I practice have an SVT rig upstairs and wow, what a sound. My poor little Ashdown MiBass rig was not exactly something I loved to start with, but compared to the Ampeg it sounds like a fart in a bathtub.

Alas, cost, size and practicality stop me from getting one myself but I did go for a Ampeg SCR-DI box which gets me far more in the right ballpark than what I had before.

I've had a similar experience, I went light weight with a Fender Rumble, nothing wrong with it but where we practice I get to use a Trace Elliot AH300 on top of a 4 x 10 Laney cab and a unbranded 1 x 15, great sound, I find myself looking for second hand Trace Elliot heads with the thought of using it with a light weight cab, or even a T E 1 x 15 combo. They're all pick up only though because of the weight, but if a local one came up who knows?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1445524975' post='2892145']
Is legend studios still going in colchester round the back of rollerworld?
[/quote]

Humm, no idea to be honest. I used to know James that ran it back around 1999 but I've not seen him in years. Only just moved back to Essex so I'm a little out of touch with the scene around here right now.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1445526456' post='2892158']
Humm, no idea to be honest. I used to know James that ran it back around 1999 but I've not seen him in years. Only just moved back to Essex so I'm a little out of touch with the scene around here right now.
[/quote]

Yes I haven't been there since James ran it back in the day... nice guy... built some nice guitars too.

Depends what the amp is... but IIRC correctly the SVTll is a VERY heavy beast and it is THAT that is the main issue.
I think getting that amp up on top of an 810 is a 2 man lift IMO.

As much as I am a fan of big blocks and rigs... you need the right stages for them..
which means EASY load-ins...preferably ramped and access from a large car park.

Then you need a stage that is a min of 48x12ft

Anything less, and all the impracticalities come to roost

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1445524778' post='2892141']
I've had a similar experience, I went light weight with a Fender Rumble, nothing wrong with it but where we practice I get to use a Trace Elliot AH300 on top of a 4 x 10 Laney cab and a unbranded 1 x 15, great sound, I find myself looking for second hand Trace Elliot heads with the thought of using it with a light weight cab, or even a T E 1 x 15 combo. They're all pick up only though because of the weight, but if a local one came up who knows?
[/quote]

Paul, as you are local to me If you find a TE head and want to try it out with a TE 4x10 I have the cab gathering dust in my shed, if it still works OK I'm happy to let you have it on 'extended loan', stopped using it about 5 yrs ago.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1445527386' post='2892174']
Paul, as you are local to me If you find a TE head and want to try it out with a TE 4x10 I have the cab gathering dust in my shed, if it still works OK I'm happy to let you have it on 'extended loan', stopped using it about 5 yrs ago.
[/quote]cheers Kev, I might just hold you to that, bet it weighs a bit though lol

There is nothing quite like having lots of headroom. While an Ampeg sounds great, I've gone a modern headroom route and have 2 Vanderkley 4x10s and a Vanderkley Aurora head. The sound is very modern and enormously powerful and responsive. It isn't smothered by guitarists and can be heard in all venues I play in. The cabs are nice and light - as is my wallet!

I'd suggest buying one of the G1/G2 BF Midgets if you want a bigger sound. That way you have 3 rigs that you can use as the gig demands.

I've found that only a few gigs really need both cabs and in a small pub, even the Midget is often easily enough.

Still, that way you'd have a big rig if you ever needed it. And a glorious sound it is too. :)

Frank.

Have you considered the SVT4x10 cab rather than 8x10.I have an SVT4 Pro with Berg HT322 and it is a great sound however I find my Little Markbass stack cuts the mix far better and seems to be pretty nice comparison to the Ampeg sound. Obviously not identical but acceptable to me.Also have the GK 1001RBi amp but its quite a clean sound.

Thanks for all your input, chaps. I'm only slightly serious and mostly humorous about gigging with one. I'd love to play the sort of places where it would be required, although we did a festival gig this year and outdoors it would have been fine - I actually used a Markbass rig belonging to a mate of mine who was on the same bill, a 4x10 and a 1x15 stacked so similar size and sounded great. It was more about the fact that now I finally understand what the fuss is all about.
Steve: thanks for your kind offer, I'll bear that in mind and if we can get it together some time that would be great.
If the thing gets going with these guys from yesterday, it will be our usual rehearsal place, so I might be able to get my jollies without having to pay for it or cart it about!

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1445526456' post='2892158']
[/quote]

Think it's probably the studios called Unit One now - run by Dom from Music Warehouse. Suspect it hasn't changed much.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1445527580' post='2892177']
cheers Kev, I might just hold you to that, bet it weighs a bit though lol
[/quote]

That's why it's in the shed. I was gigging the 4x10 with the TE 1x15 combo I still use but after a particularly tiring gig up a steep flight of stairs I decided to retire the 4x10. I covered it in a tarp and the shed's pretty dry so unless something has got in and started eating it I imagine it's probably still OK.

The small pub version of this rig is to get a couple of Ampeg SVT210AV cabs - cheap and light and takes up about 1 square foot of space when stacked vertically, which results in a tower of power roughly equivalent to half a fridge. Amp-wise I would recommend the Tech21 VT Bass amp to go with it - not the Ampeg Micro VR that was designed to go with the cabs ironically, since it it goes snap crackle and pop when hooked up to two of these cabs! Or if you have a decent micro amp already just add a VT Bass pedal for that SVT flavour.

Edited by dannybuoy

Barefaced have a fridge out now, if you're worried about the weight - at just ~35kg, it's borderline ridiculous...

I was the other way actually - have played a couple of gigs recently where the house rig was an Ampeg SVT of some variety + fridge. I was left a bit underwhelmed with the power & wanted my Barefaced cabs + Orange Terror head. Could be because the stages were both outdoors, so not quite the same as in a rehearsal room.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1445520150' post='2892098']
Played with some new guys at a new (to me) rehearsal room last night, and guess what: there, lurking in the corner was the supplied bass rig, an Ampeg 8x10 with an Ampeg amp perched on the top. Stupidly, I didn't look at the amp model number. Set it all flat, plugged in my trusty Hot Rod P, and away I went. Oh My Dear Lord, what a sound. I have never had the opportunity to play through one of these before, but did I say - Oh My Dear Lord what a sound.
I play mostly smallish pub gigs with my Barefaced Compact and LM3, which is plenty. But.......I am wandering around at work thinking "can I fit it in my car? Would it be [i]that [/i]outrageous to turn up with it? Can I actually lift an SVT and plonk it on the top at my age?" not to mention how to sneak (!) it into the house (disguised as a fridge, perhaps?).
Can anybody help me?
[/quote]

I played through an SVT head at a studio recently. I tried to pick it up but it appeared to have been screwed to the cabinet for some reason?

P.S. I later found out it wasn't screwed to the cabinet......it weighed 6 stone.

Edited by gjones