Why become a member? ×

Do I need a fridge?

phil.c60

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445689130' post='2893429']
I would agree that power stages are generally underrated when it comes to assessing bass tone. A big valve power stage has a lot to do with 'that' Ampeg valve sound
[/quote]

I guess the OP has to determine if this factor is the "secret sauce" he needs or whether its some other aspect of the sound that he has taken a liking to. Even if it is there are more portable options such as the Jule amp range (assuming you have near limitless funds to throw at the problem).

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1445690685' post='2893446']
You would blow the roof off of most small venues with an SVT + 810 if you wanted those power tubes cooking nicely!
[/quote]

That's very true, but an SVT + 8X10 at low volume still sounds a lot better than most rigs. :)
You certainly won't be short of headroom, put it that way.

Whenever I've played through an SVT the sound was fantastic.

It was and still is a perfect design, but. . . reality check required. . . it's perfect in someone else's world, not mine.

I would love an Aston Martin but I know it wouldn't be as good for me as my Volvo estate. You have to know when to stop.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445687248' post='2893405']

I'd say 'less'. Quite a lot less. But if you're vertically challenged, I apologise unreservedly.
[/quote]

Obviously it wasn't right at ear level, but neither is the Ampeg 8x10. Thing is as long as it's thereabouts, you get the throw, certainly much more than a 4x10 cab or similar.

I'm not exactly basketball material, but I'm no Peter Dinklage either ;)

I love, love, LOVE a fridge, but I don't own one for all the reasons posted above. It would fit in my car, and I could probably move it (with some difficulty), but it's just not practical for the club dates I play and there are so many amazing cabinets on the market now that can do so much and weigh so little.

I revel in the opportunities I get to use them in provided backlines, but ownership is out for me. :(

I used to laugh at people's faces when I wheeled the 9 stone monster into small pubs. They see big speakers and they think, f***! They are gonna be loud! They don't realise that you don't have to crank it all the way. :)

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1445774591' post='2893992']
I used to laugh at people's faces when I wheeled the 9 stone monster into small pubs. They see big speakers and they think, f***! They are gonna be loud! They don't realise that you don't have to crank it all the way. :)
[/quote]

You don't have to but it's very hard to fine tune the volume at low levels on a big powerful setup. I tend to set my rig at 4, the difference between 3.5 and 4.5 is huge.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1445781718' post='2894103']
This is the place for the comparivtily 'weedy' 'Class D's...
[/quote]

Was that the sound of a can of worms opening..? :blink:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1445790550' post='2894193']
Barefaced 610 Job done
[/quote]

+1 If I didn't already have a Schroeder 21012L, a Barefaced Retro Six10 would be my next purchase.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445793773' post='2894239']
Was that the sound of a can of worms opening..? :blink:

[/quote]

No, I think they have a place in smaller places. Some big blocks are too mmuch for some gigs...
just as Class D aren't enough..IMO.
So, in the context of this thread...pertinent, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1445794592' post='2894254']
So, in the context of this thread...pertinent, IMO.
[/quote]

I would have argued against the notion that Class D are weedy, but I'm not so sure now, having been enjoying a large Class A/B amp recently - which [i]seems [/i]to have a lot more slam that the equivalent Class D amp. On the other hand I also used a G-K MB amp the other day which did sound very good indeed and surprised me with its immensity, so I'm not sure exactly where that leaves me.

I started this as a bit of tongue in cheek humour, really, but it's been quite entertaining and has actually got me thinking. I do find I can't always here my Compact if I'm standing right in front as it's at knee level, so either the Midget or 610 is going to get some serious consideration. If a cloth Midget comes up at the right price I'd be interested, but the 610 really does appeal. Next can of worms is amp: stick with my LM3 (which works fine with the Compact), or how about Ampeg PF500? (Mods: I realise this is moving away from the topic so if I should repost just say and I will!)

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1445868899' post='2894838']
...If a cloth Midget comes up at the right price I'd be interested...
[/quote]

Wow! Presumably that's some kind of puppet?
But I think you have to say 'persons of restricted growth'. It's political correctness gone mad.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1445781718' post='2894103']
Some amps/rigs ARE too powerful for the room...My DB750 is... is will rattle the back walls and the drummer is going green.
This is the place for the comparivtily 'weedy' 'Class D's ..
[/quote]

I agree with the first part but as a long time user of an Acoustic 371 with a 1x15 extension cab (from the late 70s), my Markbass LM3 plus 2 X 2x10s sounds more powerful and a damned sight more audible (both from where I stand and from the room).

The problem with valve amps is they break up into distortion way before reaching their max output - great for guitar but pants for bass for anything more technical than crunching root 8ths - one of the reasons 70s group's bass players often didn't sound much like the records. It's the main reason why many people stopped using them in the 70s and solid state took over.

A very high powered valve amp would not only be too loud for most small gigs but will break your back as well - just like moving a Hammond B3 and Leslie unit around (as we did in the 70s!!).

Much as I love Pinos sound with John Mayer, I think he does most of his recording with an ABM and also uses them live at times. These days I believe fridges are for cooling food and drink!!! Love to play through one sometime for fun though (provided I don't have to move it!!)

Edited by drTStingray