Why become a member? ×

How do 'You' set up your bass?

Number6

Do you prefer a low action with a bit of buzz or a high action because you dig in deep or play with a pick? Do you use certain strings on certain basses or for a particular set up?

It's all subjective so not a my set up is better or worse than yours i am just interested.

My MIM P is set up slightly lower than Fender spec, i use Rotosound Nickel 66 .045-.105s Swing bass strings and i like to use a foam mute at the bridge because i like the sound.

So what is your preference BC'ers?

6 ��

Edited by Number6

I tend to do the following:
- get the neck relief looking good
- set the action as low as possible, but not so low that there is even a hint of fretbuzz
- set intonation

I'm not fussed about ultra-low action; I'd rather have the action a bit higher than any fretbuzz.

I don't dig in much, so I'm usually able to get pretty low action with no buzz.

Low and light...the tension may be a tad soft but there you go.
Same strings and gauges on all and I work on the bass being a backup so
are set-up the same, rather than something different.
I do what I do..nothing much changes, altho I tend to be quite a seat of the pants
player.

After messing around with different set-ups for a while I've settled on the following:

* La-Bella Black Nylon 'Perfectly Balanced' strings in 50 - 105 guage
* Action around mid-level. Well above fretbuzz.

I play mostly finger-style and I have a very light touch as quite a bit of what I play depends on very fast triplet runs so this set-up works a dream for me.

As an experiment I’ve been trying a different playing style recently, using my thumb as a plectrum playing almost entirely 16ths, a mix of notes and mutes. It’s very percussive and having a very low action helps – played normally, there’s a tiny bit of fret buzz here and there but it doesn’t worry me.
The only question I’m now thinking about is whether or not my preferred 40s gauge is best suited to this style as the G string can sound a little more ‘clicky’ than might be ideal.

I used to have mine as low as possible, but I actually prefer a wee bit of push back nowadays. I don't play overly complicated stuff very often though so that might be the reason. back wjen i was acteen and i played extreme, mr big, dream theater etc i needed all the help i could het. Haha

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1443385676' post='2874339']
Still trying to figure it out, but a straightish neck, low action but no fretbuzz. I do like quite a high tension in the strings though, that's a recent development.
[/quote]
Same here - neck straight as possible, low action without fretbuzz and a tight feel in the strings (45-105)...

Medium high action using the slightly heavier Ernie ball [size=4]Regular Slinky's (50-105).[/size]
[size=4]My style of playing varies between playing with a pick and fingerstyle depending on the song, But I am heavy handed and a too low action doesnt work for me.[/size]

After years of monkeying about with this sort of this I've settled on the slightest amount of buzz, just enough so that it blooms whenever I dig in (often) .105" - .045" roundwound stainless steel strings.

I like a nice wide string spacing too (18 or 19mm), and shim the neck if you have to.

My precision and stingray are both set up with 40-100 Rotosound Nexus, the necks are set dead straight with no relief at all, the strings are low as possible without them choking, but low enough they buzz if persuaded, with the pickups raised high enough that the string doesn't touch them (caught my fingers on the magnets once by playing too hard). Removed the strap pin on both and have two, each one about 3 inches either side of where the original one was for different height options too.

On my precision I fitted a Hipshot "A" type bridge too, and I've adjusted the string spacing. They're not evenly spaced on it, just set at what feels right.

Edited by Jimryan