Why become a member? ×

Best Prog Rock album ever?

Bilbo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439047540' post='2839645']
Hee, hee. I'm sure 'progressive rock' meant something different back in the day than it does now... for example, Deep Purple were considered 'progressive' then, but not so much now... or am I talking out my arse again? :)
[/quote]
Nope, and I was going to make that exact point re Purple earlier in the thread but never got round to it

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1439041240' post='2839587']
That's the first time I've seen Jazz From Hell described as progressive.
[/quote]

I wouldn't call it progressive as such, but personally still think of it as part of the prog direction (whatever Zappa thought about the term).

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1439059411' post='2839736']
Everything I liked in the 70's was called progressive.
[/quote]

Well that's it. At the time I would say I listened to progressive rock, but now 'prog-rock' is something else, and in fact is almost a derogatory term...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439060551' post='2839743']

Well that's it. At the time I would say I listened to progressive rock, but now 'prog-rock' is something else, and in fact is almost a derogatory term...
[/quote]

Unfortunately this has been true in recent years. But now I sense it's time to reclaim the term. :-)

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1439047103' post='2839643']
Would have to say :-
Genesis - Seconds Out is my all time fav album
Floyd - DSOTM is 2nd

I play these 2 albums regularly since buying even after 40yrs.

From modern era :-
Arjen Lucassen - Lost In The New Reel.
Steve Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase
Minor Giant - On The Road

The list could be endless but these are few favs. Prog being my fav kind of music.

Dave
[/quote]Second's Out's live and therefore a compilation - not allowed. It isn't in the right running order either.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1439048685' post='2839652']
Maybe this is cheating, but I'll say 'Yessongs'. As I'm a bit of a heavy rock yobbo, I actually prefer the more kick-ass live versions of CTTE, Siberian Khatru etc to the studio originals. Heresy, I know!
[/quote]I heard Close to the Edge on this first and love this version.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1439062244' post='2839758']
Surely a live album and a compilation are different things? We can nominate whatever we want.
[/quote]

Right. If you're allowing 'prog-rock' in the first place, anything goes, surely?? :lol:

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1438976377' post='2839193']
Not an easy call to name the best. Close To The Edge is up there, but I'll throw Selling England By The Pound (Genesis) in the ring
[/quote]

These two top of my list too although fragile and lamb lies down strong contenders too

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1439069807' post='2839817']
You can't have a prog rock thread & not mention Marillion!

Misplaced Childhood is a great album from start to finish, but then, so are their other albums.
[/quote]

Marillion could be great, but IMO Ian Mosley has to be the worst drummer in prog.

The best thing about this thread is being reminded of stuff that you'd forgotten about.

I know live albums have kind of been 'excluded', but; Bursting Out.

Good to see some more up to date stuff too; Spock's Beard. Steve Wilson has just been touring with guys that I think are stars on their respective instruments: Nick Beggs and Dave Kilminster.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439070070' post='2839818']
Marillion could be great, but IMO Ian Mosley has to be the worst drummer in prog.
[/quote]
TBH, I've never listened to any of the post Fish material. So Mick Pointer is the drummer I associate with them.
The last album I bought of their's was La Gazza Ladra (I bought every one prior to it too).