Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

As usually happens in forum topic threads people look but they don 't always see. The original thread was what is over rated bass or bass equipment? Pointy bass never were or will be over rated, Ashdown amps have never to my knowledge been rated highly, poor players with expensive equipment is not over rated, it's just misguided and shot sighted. Over rated is:

Exotic hardwoods.
Boutique pedals - small quantity and high cost doesn't make it sound any better as a matter of course, same for above.
Custom electronics.
Relic/signature equipment.
Stupidly expensive strings.
Exotic hardwoods.
Slapping and popping.

[quote name='ruztiwarren' post='274157' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:57 PM']As usually happens in forum topic threads people look but they don 't always see. The original thread was what is over rated bass or bass equipment? Pointy bass never were or will be over rated, Ashdown amps have never to my knowledge been rated highly, poor players with expensive equipment is not over rated, it's just misguided and shot sighted. Over rated is:

Exotic hardwoods.
Boutique pedals - small quantity and high cost doesn't make it sound any better as a matter of course, same for above.
Custom electronics.
Relic/signature equipment.
Stupidly expensive strings.
Exotic hardwoods.
Slapping and popping.[/quote]

The intellect of the posting members on this thread is definitely overrated - RTFM people! :)

[quote name='WarPig' post='274148' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:45 PM']Everything, ever.[/quote]
:)

That just about sums it up!! Been popping in from time to time on this thread today and it's really made me laugh a lot, so thanks for that! Still raining down here a bit though.... Can't beat a great British summer, eh... or would that be over-rating it??? :huh:

[quote name='Rich' post='274080' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:18 PM']Good god Josh, is there anything you do like?[/quote]

Long walks on the beach in the early hours, a nice relaxed bubble bath with roses and chocolates scattered about the place, and a good romantic novel whilst sipping a tall thin glass of Shampaggin :).

Ironically, your Shuker is actually THEE only Shuker I've been in impressed by, fancy a trip to Bridgy prove me wrong about Wal's and Shuker's mayyte??

where is the love??

i dont like all this bullshit!

whats the point in dissing everything??

ive owned most of the basses mentioned and i believe each of them has their place! if we all played one type of bass it would suck!!

at the end of the day we as bass players and people are all very different and our gear choices reflect how we express our differences!

if you like and are happy with your gear then it doesnt matter what other people say!

personally i couldnt be happier at the moment! i feel very lucky to have what i have!

:)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='274091' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:31 PM']I still have a few things left that haven't been insulted :)

I am enjoying it too.[/quote]Well my 'coffee-table bass' Shuke has received quite a few direct hits so far... you can borrow a couple of those broadsides if it'll give you a complete set? :huh:

[quote name='Josh' post='274173' date='Sep 1 2008, 12:20 AM']Long walks on the beach in the early hours, a nice relaxed bubble bath with roses and chocolates scattered about the place, and a good romantic novel whilst sipping a tall thin glass of Shampaggin :huh:.

Ironically, your Shuker is actually THEE only Shuker I've been in impressed by, fancy a trip to Bridgy prove me wrong about Wal's and Shuker's mayyte??[/quote]Cool idea, although I'm not overkeen on champers and the chocs are very fattening. :huh:

[quote name='Rich' post='274211' date='Sep 1 2008, 07:32 AM']Well my 'coffee-table bass' Shuke has received quite a few direct hits so far... you can borrow a couple of those broadsides if it'll give you a complete set? :)

Cool idea, although I'm not overkeen on champers and the chocs are very fattening. :huh:[/quote]

"I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain......"

Come on over Rich, I'll bring my Shuks and see if we can add him to the Shuker Fan club proper tidy like ...

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='274206' date='Sep 1 2008, 06:51 AM']where is the love??

i dont like all this bullshit!

whats the point in dissing everything??

ive owned most of the basses mentioned and i believe each of them has their place! if we all played one type of bass it would suck!!

at the end of the day we as bass players and people are all very different and our gear choices reflect how we express our differences!

if you like and are happy with your gear then it doesnt matter what other people say!

personally i couldnt be happier at the moment! i feel very lucky to have what i have!

:)[/quote]
+1
If something gives you pleasure, it’s worth whatever it costs.
Everybody elses’ stuff is overrated. :huh:

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' post='274237' date='Sep 1 2008, 09:01 AM']If something gives you pleasure, it’s worth whatever it costs.
Everybody elses’ stuff is overrated. :)[/quote]

i dunno about that... i wouldn't mind a modulus, or a G&L, or a stingray etc.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='274237' date='Sep 1 2008, 09:01 AM']+1
If something gives you pleasure, it’s worth whatever it costs.
Everybody elses’ stuff is overrated. :)[/quote]

It's not in your mind I think that is the main cause of GAS the I wish I had what he has syndrome it's only when you get it you find out its not as good as what you had.

I WANT MY PEAVEY BACK!!!!!

Still no Genz Benz or EUB hits. Feeling good at the minute tho a bit left out

Fender looks. Dated and sooooo copied (inc Lakland)
Toe gazers (Cant make eye contact then siddown) :)
Inappropriate slapping (which means I cant do it I confess)

Just me tho. Cmon lets get some Genz hits.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='273617' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:45 AM']1. Sei Jazz 5; too many of these being sold here lately, guess they look great but are too clean and polite sounding unless you play in a jazz-fusion trio?
2. Ashdown amps & cabs; wooly sound, pointless retro design, not easy to get a decent sound out of and definitely a case of 'style over substance'.
4. Bartolini pick-ups; bland, polite & sterile. Definitely massively over-used and over-rated![/quote]
Blimey, I don't log in for a couple of days and 12 pages happens... Haven't read it all yet but I'll start with you Nik :)

1. No idea, never (knowingly) heard one
2. Yep, agree.
3. Nope, loved the Barts I had in my MIM Jazz 5.

As for my choice - Ashdown.

Now, I will read the 12 pages......