Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

I've so far been underwhelmed by Shuker basses. Sure - they're nicely made and sound nice but I just can't get excited about them at all. Lots of people are obsessed with them on here, and i'm really not understanding them. I suppose the same can be said for some other UK custom makers so it isn't just Shuker..

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273824' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:59 PM']I will add.

Pointless pedal boards.

Ashdown.

Headstock snobary.

Coffee table basses.[/quote]

pointless pedal boards... yup, that's why I just use a Zoom B2.1U or just my ME-20B + tuner pedal on my home made pedal board... just to keep them in one place... along with the wallwart PSUs... and the DI

it isn't pointless... it stops them moving around and speeds setup/teardown and I don't waste time hunting around for the PSUs...

Ashdown, wouldn't know...

Headstock snobary (sic).. I play a Squier... and I'm not ashamed of it... the 70's VMJ is a great bass. My Tanglewoods are extremely nice as well...

Coffee table basses... Ummm... I'm currently lusting after (and saving up for) a very nice Tanglewood Canyon III I've seen in a shop with the most beautiful spalted maple facing I've ever seen... and it sounds great and plays well as well... triple bonus... I've had it put by on reserve

I also have a very nice piece of Bubinga which also makes very nice sounds as someone put pickups, strings and a neck on it...

[quote name='Machines' post='273868' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:37 PM']I've so far been underwhelmed by Shuker basses. Sure - they're nicely made and sound nice but I just can't get excited about them at all. Lots of people are obsessed with them on here, and i'm really not understanding them. I suppose the same can be said for some other UK custom makers so it isn't just Shuker..[/quote]

I'd give you a hug for that Machines!

A brave man :)

Ill also add, that Overwaters, some Sei's, ACG's, also don't ever get me thinking about having one.

Edited by Josh

Fender basses, mainly the USA made ones, anyone that buys them purely is doing so for the made in USA sticker, quality and sound wise beaten by pretty much every bass i can think of in that price bracket.

Anything by Ashdown, every effect, amp or cab iv tried by ashdown have dissapointed me, just for me such a bland tone

any bass over £1500, IMO that kinda of money just cant be justified, no matter what the bass sounds like or how it plays, just for rich kids who like to say they have an expensive bass

Tonefactor pedals or whatever they are called now, every one iv tried or owned, not being too many admitidly, have underwhelmed me, nice pedals, but nothing special, and IMO dont deserve the hype they get on this board

Pedaltrain pedalboard, >£150 for a piece of metal to put pedals onto?? i made a wooden board, raised at rear so cables n that could be hidden, cost me £2.50. 'nuff said.

no doubt il be adding a fair bit to this list, alot of stuff i see on this site i think meh about

[quote name='Josh' post='273873' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:40 PM']I'd give you a hug for that Machines!

A brave man :huh:

Ill also add, that Overwaters, some Sei's, AKG's, also don't ever get me thinking about having one.[/quote]

Well I think i've only offended 4 of our moderating team with that comment !

Yep those names are ones to bundle in for me, and it's ACG :).

[quote name='Machines' post='273877' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:42 PM']Well I think i've only offended 4 of our moderating team with that comment !

Yep those names are ones to bundle in for me, and it's ACG :huh:.[/quote]

You need a little controversy to keep the office romance golden :)

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='273872' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:39 PM']pointless pedal boards... yup, that's why I just use a Zoom B2.1U or just my ME-20B + tuner pedal on my home made pedal board... just to keep them in one place... along with the wallwart PSUs... and the DI[/quote]

It wasn't the pedalboard, it's the boards that are filled up with pedal and the only thing that is used is the tuner.

heres a couple more iv thought of and picked up from reading the thread:

Passive basses, just dull, i dont get them, its just like an active bass, but with no or very limited tonal control, why?

Wooden necks, since i got my status neck fitted to my stingray, i have wondered why anyone uses wooden necks? they change shape with temperature, they wear down easier, they are less stable, they are heavier, and imo the tone has nothing on a good carbon neck...graphite rules.

Edited by BassManKev

Damn it.. there I was thinking that I'd manage to not have my gear slagged off... *sigh*

5 string bass - check
Dean bass - check
POINTY (explorer) dean bass - check...

oooh wait.. I have some redeeming features...
No ones dissed red eyes skull knobs (on my dean)
No ones dissed Shine basses (My 5 string)
No ones dissed Laney amps..

Waheeeeeeeeeeeeey... I guess there's still time...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273864' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:33 PM']Is there any bass you do like ? :huh:[/quote]
josh likes Warwicks according to his sig.
'nuff said - each to his own. :)

I must admit i was put off by the look of Mark Bass initially, but now I have an LMII which I initially bought despite the looks (and the drummer's name on it), but I've grown to love it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273888' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:51 PM']Laney are great at Practice/small gigging combos but when they make big heads the result is shockingly bad IMO[/quote]
Good job mines a little combo for small gigs... my Laney dignity remains intact..... for the moment...

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273885' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:48 PM']Damn it.. there I was thinking that I'd manage to not have my gear slagged off... *sigh*

5 string bass - check
Dean bass - check

Waheeeeeeeeeeeeey... I guess there's still time...[/quote]

Ooooo thanks for reminding me Sarah!

Wooden or Exotic knobs just ruin the overall look of a bass, and in some add character.

Shine are just cheap basses, some good and some bad.

Laney amps, the ones I've played were as bad as Ashdowns.

[quote name='Josh' post='273890' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:52 PM']Ooooo thanks for reminding me Sarah!

Wooden or Exotic knobs just ruin the overall look of a bass, and in some add character.

Shine are just cheap basses, some good and some bad.

Laney amps, the ones I've played were as bad as Ashdowns.[/quote]
But... my knobs add character... (never thought I'd be typing THAT sentance..)
My shine's a beauty...

As for laneys....God daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn yooooooooooooooooooooooou!

:)

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273885' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:48 PM']Damn it.. there I was thinking that I'd manage to not have my gear slagged off... *sigh*

5 string bass - check
Dean bass - check

Waheeeeeeeeeeeeey... I guess there's still time...[/quote]

Ok then:
[list]
[*]red eyes skull knobs
[*]Shine basses
[*]Laney amps
[/list]

only joking :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273894' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:54 PM']His going to make his own because no one in the world makes basses properly.

I agree with the knob thing[/quote]

Warwickhunt will agree with me that even Warwick aren't good at making Warwicks sometimes :)

Michael Tobias knows how to make basses properly :huh: