Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='escholl' post='274089' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:28 PM']two for one!....if someone can just slag off graphite nuts and hand-wound pups now, that will be everything i own, trashed in this thread :)

i don't know why i'm enjoying that...[/quote]

Errr... I think someone did slag off hand-wound pups a few pages back (can't be arsed to look back and tell you who though).

Having been through large piles of gear, I hate to admit that I always seem to sound mostly the same no matter what amp or bass I am using. Sure, there are subtle differences, but, in the end, I always seem to strive for my particular sound. I also hate that this doesn't stop me thinking about getting new or different instruments. Having said all that I really couldn't get a sound I liked with my Rick 4003 when I had it - it was a beautiful object though.

I particularly hate (although "hate" is too strong a word) the way this forum feeds an illogical desire within me to acquire gear that I certainly don't need, nor am likely to benefit from. Yet, I still keep coming back for more!

I think this thread is great. Reminds us all that we have different tastes, and hopefully gives a bit of perspective for the 'what's the best...' converstions we have elsewhere. So here's my utterly opinionated list, to be read very much with a 'dangerboy is trying to get a certain sound and feel, and this gear just can't do it' slant. I understand other folks will get exactly what they want from these things, but they'll never work for me...

All active basses. Honestly. The lot of them. I just don't see the point.
I increasingly can't stand humbuckers, either.
Warwicks, Ibanezes, etc.
Ashdown
Trace
Marshall
Hartke
The thumb of the right hand. Does that count as a bass-related product?
Boutique pedals that are just clones of basic BOSS models or Tubescreamers.
All Line6 gear except the DL4 and Echo Park
The BOSS ODB-3
Any digitally-modelled distortion
Flangers

Non bass-related:

Girlfriends/boyfriends in bands who don't do much and stick out like sore thumbs
Cymbals (unrealistic, I know)
Delay on vocals
Bands that are less than 25% bass player, except where said band has over 8 members
Hats on-stage
Metal
Strats
Nearly all guitar music made before 1976

Edited by dangerboy

[quote name='Mokl' post='274100' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:48 PM']Errr... I think someone did slag off hand-wound pups a few pages back (can't be arsed to look back and tell you who though).[/quote]

hahaha it was me, trying to give reasons why they should be in hopes someone else would rant about it. i have to admit, i'm getting a perverse kick out of having my equipment verbally trashed in this thread.

is that too weird?

I think the 5% are the ones who have never felt the need for a 5th string and hate putting up woth being preached to about it all the time on bass forums :huh:

(Ps I too am in the 5% if thats the case :))

Oi, removing posts ya cheeky bugger :huh:

Edited by Alastair

[quote name='Alastair' post='274119' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:14 PM']I think the 5% are the ones who have never felt the need for a 5th string and hate putting up woth being preached to about it all the time on bass forums :huh:

(Ps I too am in the 5% if thats the case :))

Oi, removing posts ya cheeky bugger :huh:[/quote]

why do i get the feeling that 95% of us will claim to be in that 5%? :huh:

[quote name='Alastair' post='274119' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:14 PM']Oi, removing posts ya cheeky bugger :)[/quote]

Sorry - I realised I'd posted back-to-back and didn't want to look greedy!

This refers to Oscar South's comments that 85% of people who slate ERBs do it because they can't play/afford them, and 10% do it to get 'bass cred'.

I saw a taxi today with the numberplate BA55 ERB. Strange world.

Edited by dangerboy

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='274131' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:23 PM']I have to say I'm not keen on "coffin cases": I mean what's that all about?

Why rest your bass in a case that looks like a freakin coffin? Equally, what's with these gothic looking basses?

:)[/quote]
Because they are NEKKRO
Look cool onstage under lights
And cause generation gaps.

[quote name='Protium' post='274136' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:33 PM']Old people who should've given it up years ago who think they know it all :)[/quote]
Farts that think 4 is all you need,it isnt.
Kids that cant play for sh*t and want to tell ME about what is GOOD tone.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='274107' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:52 PM']I think this thread is great. Reminds us all that we have different tastes, and hopefully gives a bit of perspective for the 'what's the best...' converstions we have elsewhere. So here's my utterly opinionated list, to be read very much with a 'dangerboy is trying to get a certain sound and feel, and this gear just can't do it' slant. I understand other folks will get exactly what they want from these things, but they'll never work for me...

All active basses. Honestly. The lot of them. I just don't see the point.
I increasingly can't stand humbuckers, either.
Warwicks, Ibanezes, etc.
Ashdown
Trace
Marshall
Hartke
The thumb of the right hand. Does that count as a bass-related product?
Boutique pedals that are just clones of basic BOSS models or Tubescreamers.
All Line6 gear except the DL4 and Echo Park
The BOSS ODB-3
Any digitally-modelled distortion
Flangers

Non bass-related:

Girlfriends/boyfriends in bands who don't do much and stick out like sore thumbs
Cymbals (unrealistic, I know)
Delay on vocals
Bands that are less than 25% bass player, except where said band has over 8 members
Hats on-stage
Metal
Strats
Nearly all guitar music made before 1976[/quote]

Well I was with you up to the Hats comment :)

Slap solos

[quote name='Protium' post='274136' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:33 PM']Old people who should've given it up years ago who think they know it all :)[/quote]

Ha ha yeah that's me :huh:

oh Hang on, If I knew it all I'd know it was time to hang it all up and stop.
Nurse! I'm confused again ..