Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273940' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:36 PM']My one bug bear is 'vintage' basses. Like when people say, I've got a 1965 Fender Strat in sunburst yadda yadda yadda....

This is the music industry.. not bargain hunt![/quote]

hah hah... back in the seventies... I actually owned a '68 Fender P... was given it by my cousin... he'd got bored with bass and passed it on to me. Back then they weren't considered as sacred relics...

It was sunburst and I went and painted the body with gloss white emulsion so it would look like Sid Vicious's bass...

My two cents:

- Rickenbackers of any description
- Gripmasters
- Fretboard LEDs
- Elixirs
- The Laney Nexus Head. Awful, just awful. How can an amp with so many knobs produce so few useable tones??
- Fender USA build quality

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273940' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:36 PM']My one bug bear is 'vintage' basses. Like when people say, I've got a 1965 Fender Strat in sunburst yadda yadda yadda....

This is the music industry.. not bargain hunt![/quote]

Turned up to a mate of a mates jam session the other night. The guitarist in the 'house' band told me 3 times within 3 minutes about the +£2000 1963 Strat he was playing. Just had to say 'bloody hell you could have got 2 or 3 new ones for that'

Sorry.................true story tho

electro harmonix pedals, iv never ever owned one which i havnt had a problem with, whether it be build quality problems or just generally not sounding like id hoped. big muff is the only pedal by them which i actually like, and even then i only like the old sovtek ones

wireless systems, just so not rock n roll, and more like the kid in school with the big round glasses and buck teeth

[quote name='martthebass' post='273977' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:30 PM']Turned up to a mate of a mates jam session the other night. The guitarist in the 'house' band told me 3 times within 3 minutes about the +£2000 1963 Strat he was playing. Just had to say 'bloody hell you could have got 2 or 3 new ones for that'

Sorry.................true story tho[/quote]
i would so respect someone if they told me they just had a fender jazz, and it actually was a 1965 vintage

but....no, you ask someone who owns a vintage instrument what they play, they will tell you the day it was built, and how many mm its dings are

+1 on people owning expensive instruments when they play like poo

another thing, i cant stand to see bassists with multiple thousands of pounds worth of pedals n effects...and then be in a generic indie or emo band

Edited by BassManKev

those violin basses.

i just don't get it.

saw one a few days back going for stupid money in a local shop....the body was ugly, the headstock was literally the ugliest one i've ever seen, the string spacing was about 10mm and was the same at the nut as the bridge....and all that for only a small fortune!

EDIT: and one more thing -- those vintage basses/guitars. while there is something to be said for the process that happens to the wood as a result of it being played, that can be done in about 5 years of regular playing -- and i don't seen anyone going crazy for early 2000's basses! newer instruments have better features, electronics, etc, etc, etc.....[/rant]

Edited by escholl

[quote name='martthebass' post='273977' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:30 PM']Turned up to a mate of a mates jam session the other night. The guitarist in the 'house' band told me 3 times within 3 minutes about the +£2000 1963 Strat he was playing. Just had to say 'bloody hell you could have got 2 or 3 new ones for that'

Sorry.................true story tho[/quote]

Haha nice one :)

I played a gig a few weeks ago I was chatting to the bass player from a band we were playing with he had a Trace like me the guitarist walks over and says if Trace Elliot were any good they would make guitar amps,m luckily enough his bass player called him a f*cking idiot before I had the chance.

[quote name='escholl' post='273980' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:34 PM']those violin basses.

i just don't get it.

saw one a few days back going for stupid money in a local shop....the body was ugly, the headstock was literally the ugliest one i've ever seen, the string spacing was about 10mm and was the same at the nut as the bridge....and all that for only a small fortune![/quote]

And they sound just as bad.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned so-called "hand wound" pickups. i mean, i really can't see how they would sound any different being would by hand or machine, if anything the automated winding should be more consistent....yet the hand wound ones sure seem to have a price premium.....

Also, that would then be pretty much ALL of my equipment successfully slagged off, some of it even by me (oops....) :)

il duck after i say this one..

jazz basses, i just dont like them, i hate their stupidly slim necks, and i dont like the general feel of them, and i hate that people like sadowsky and lakland usa feel the need to make super expensive copies of them, and i dont like the tone or pickup positioning

MY OPINION :)

Edited by BassManKev

Wals - I really liked the one that I played, but I think there's a lot of hype. I think lot of Justin Chancellor (Tool) fans think by owning a Wal it will take them to a place near him, which I think can in part explain the massive inflated prices for them.

Rotosound strings - used them for years. When I decided to try other strings, I can't believe what I was missing. Nothing special for me at all.

Neither of them are "I hate them" though. I guess I just don't have enough vitriol in me. :)

i agree with the ashdown amps. They just seem dull and not worth the price tag that comes with them
Also i agree with rotosound strings. Tryed them a couple of times and im glad i havent gone back to them.

Also Ibanez, why are they so popular. I owned a SRX (cant remember the number) and it was uncomfortable to play and the sound was pretty uninspiring. As for ibanez as a whole, they're pretty rubbish looking.

And finally any copies of already popular basses. For example why the hell is there so many companies copying fender?