Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273792' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:25 PM']My account will be deleted after this post.

1.Anything with more than 4 strings
2.Warwicks
3.Any bass that costs more than £1000
4.Wireless units

I will think of more and come back if my account is still intact.[/quote]

LOL yer banned :)

85% of people who say they don't like basses with more than 4 strings are just distasted because they either can't play a 5+ stringer well, or can't afford one. 10% are just saying it to be contrary or because they think it'll earn them 'bass cred'.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Tee' post='273806' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:39 PM']Coffee table/exotic wood basses

Basses with more than 4 strings

Headless basses

Signature instruments (in this case basses)

Warwick

Gold plated hardware

Active basses[/quote]
Guess you won't be buying one of these soon then?
[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/nobby_meidel.html"]http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/nobby_meidel.html[/url]
Pity they don't do a 5er otherwise that'd be all your hates in one bass.
:)

Edited by rayfw

[quote name='Oscar South' post='273808' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:40 PM']85% of people who say they don't like basses with more than 4 strings are just distasted because they either can't play a 5+ stringer well, or can't afford one. 10% are just saying it to be contrary or because they think it'll earn them 'bass cred'.[/quote]

That sounds like 100% speculation to me.

[quote name='rayfw' post='273815' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:46 PM']Guess you won't be buying one of these soon then?
[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/nobby_meidel.html"]http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/nobby_meidel.html[/url]
Pity they don't do a 5er otherwise that'd be all your hates in one bass.
:)[/quote]

Lol, if i ever go canoeing, i'll give it a look in :huh:

P-Basses: They're ugly, always have been and always will be, the tone is just heartless and does nothing for me, they are complete sods to play, uncomfortable in any position and just really really bug me.

Stingrays, Sterlings and Bongo's: The same as above, but I'll add that Bongo's really don't justify their own hype.

Rickenbackers: Awful instruments, the sound is off-putting, the looks are just nasty, and is the most uncomfortable bass I've ever played.

Ibanez's: Souless and boring, they just feel like they're created by robots.

Wals: The bass for a Druid. Killer tone though.

Peavey's: Just avoid.

Warwick Dolphins, Corvettes, Vampyres, Strykers, Buzzards, Infinities: The worst of the Warwick family.

Fernandes: The same as Ibanez but more expensive.

Vigiers: Ugly as hell but the tone is a suprise.

Corts: Theres just nothing of worth shouting about there.

Traben: Just eww.

Thunderbirds, Explorers, Flying-V's, SG's etc... and all "Cool" vintage basses: They all sound and play horrible, everytime.

Ritters: Different but fail to amaze.

Anything else by Fender, besides the jazz of course ^_^ .

I know I've missed out a few somewhere......and I have:

Ernie Ball & Rotosound & Elite Strings: Just can't cut it on any bass.

And boiling strings does next to bugger all IMO.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='273821' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:53 PM']P-Basses: They're ugly, always have been and always will be, the tone is just heartless and does nothing for me, they are complete sods to play, uncomfortable in any position and just really really bug me.

Stingrays, Sterlings and Bongo's: The same as above, but I'll add that Bongo's really don't justify their own hype.

Rickenbackers: Awful instruments, the sound is off-putting, the looks are just nasty, and is the most uncomfortable bass I've ever played.

Ibanez's: Souless and boring, they just feel like they're created by robots.

Wals: The bass for a Druid. Killer tone though.

Peavey's: Just avoid.

Warwick Dolphins, Corvettes, Vampyres, Strykers, Buzzards: The worst of the Warwick family.

Fernandes: The same as Ibanez but more expensive.

Vigiers: Ugly as hell but the tone is a suprise.

Corts: Theres just nothing of worth shouting about there.

Thunderbirds, Explorers, Flying-V's, SG's etc... and all "Cool" vintage basses: They all sound and play horrible, everytime.

Anything else by Fender, besides the jazz of course ^_^ .

I know I've missed out a few somewhere.[/quote]

Excellent, I like it !.

Add to that basses with less than 6 strings. :)

Amp wise.

Ashdown: The Great British Boomer, there isn't any discernable tone or voice from any of their products, and the Superflys are just ticking time bombs.

Mark Bass: Too yellow and they lack the tone that gives them all the hype.

Hartke: More muddy than having a pig wrestle at a family reunion in Arkansas.

Trace Elliot: Much the same as Ashdown, with more mids maybe but still don't do it for me.

GK: You want them to sound good but they never do.

H&K: Just no.

And I'm really failing to see why some people spend so much money on all valve amps (I mean £2000+), they don't really sound much different and much more hasstle than their worth.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='273837' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:12 PM']Wow, I'm surprised by the anti-Ashdown sentiments. My 2x10 cab was only just over £100, the head about £170 I think. Both are 100% reliable and loud enough to hear myself onstage [PA does the donkeywork]. For that sort of money, where's the beef?[/quote]

Man if your happy with it then that's all that matters, what we say about Ashdown is all from experience and not intended to offend, but if it makes you happy don't worry about what we say :).

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='273837' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:12 PM']Wow, I'm surprised by the anti-Ashdown sentiments. My 2x10 cab was only just over £100, the head about £170 I think. Both are 100% reliable and loud enough to hear myself onstage [PA does the donkeywork]. For that sort of money, where's the beef?[/quote]

I was just talking about the heads I use an Ashdown 4X10 with my Trace no complaints

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273844' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:15 PM']I was just talking about the heads I use an Ashdown 4X10 with my Trace no complaints[/quote]

When I use my ABM as a preamp only (headphones) it sounds quite different to through my cab - this leads me to believe the cabs are introducing the colouring rather than the amps themselves. I need to get it running through a 'clean' cab and see how different it is.