Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Master blaster' post='274011' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:19 PM']i agree with the ashdown amps. They just seem dull and not worth the price tag that comes with them
Also i agree with rotosound strings. Tryed them a couple of times and im glad i havent gone back to them.

Also Ibanez, why are they so popular. I owned a SRX (cant remember the number) and it was uncomfortable to play and the sound was pretty uninspiring. As for ibanez as a whole, they're pretty rubbish looking.

And finally any copies of already popular basses. For example why the hell is there so many companies copying fender?[/quote]

Presumably because of the popular design so they know it will sell, only companys like sadowsky and sei think they can do it better, whether they can or cant I dont know as Ive not played either, and at the prices they knock them out at I probbably never will.

[quote name='Protium' post='273922' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:26 PM']Haha, come round and play my P with a Wizard Thumper pickup then tell me passive basses are too quiet :huh:[/quote]

come round and play my taitycaster then tell me passive basses are anywherer near as loud as actives.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273929' date='Aug 31 2008, 06:28 PM']How's this for cheap.. my Shine doesn't even HAVE the name on the headstock... :)[/quote]

my taitycaster cost me £990 and that doesn't have a name on its headstock.

also i play ashdown. i like mine, but mine hasn't got those slidey things everyone's complaining about.

adding to my list -

jazz basses, sound awful, the neck's way too slim, and they're stupidly heavy.

exotic wood basses

more than 5 strings (i only play 4 strings but i can kinda see the need for a fifth sometimes, can't see a need for six)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273982' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:36 PM']Haha nice one :)

I played a gig a few weeks ago I was chatting to the bass player from a band we were playing with he had a Trace like me the guitarist walks over and says if Trace Elliot were any good they would make guitar amps,m luckily enough his bass player called him a f*cking idiot before I had the chance.[/quote]

what an idiot they do... for acoustic guitar.

fretboard lights. really. what is the point? so you can glow like an christmas tree?

BassmanKev...My Fender is worth more than £1500 and its all I play, I teach with it and I do a whole load of different kind of gigs from it and it's the only bass I've owned that I'm happy with...

So am i just showing off? I can assure you I'm not rich!

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='273743' date='Aug 31 2008, 02:59 PM']Effects pedals, why spend a fortune on a bass and amp, then plug an effects pedal in to the chain to make it sound like a flatulant blue whale.[/quote]

Oh Oh! That's exactly the sound I'm after .. Which effect shoudl I get?
:)

[quote name='jay249' post='274025' date='Aug 31 2008, 08:41 PM']BassmanKev...My Fender is worth more than £1500 and its all I play, I teach with it and I do a whole load of different kind of gigs from it and it's the only bass I've owned that I'm happy with...

So am i just showing off? I can assure you I'm not rich![/quote]

you'll probably find that alot of your happy feelings about it are all psychological, especially if you aint rich i.e. your tryin to like the bass as much as possible to justify all that money. consider the bass was exactly as it is now, but is worth only £200. honestly ask yourself, would you still like it as much??

[/pyschology lesson]

all IMO :) i could be wrong

Fender
Pointy Basses
Basses with full size bodies but no headstock, why? The size benefits are marginal and it looks daft, just a big stick sticking out of a body.
Wish basses (not overated) but why let a four year old design them and then make exactly that rather than trying to get someone that can actually do straight lines and flowing curves?

so to summarise its

- basses with 4, 5 or 6 strings
- high end, middle and low end basses
- traditional, exotic wood, plastic and other basses
- Fender and non-Fender
- custom and non-custom
- virtually every amp known to man (no mention of Mesa or Marshall ... yet)
- Rotosound strings
- effect pedals

Difficult to think which bases have not been covered and whether this thread isn't running out of steam IMHO

Different strokes for different folks, thank God :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='274064' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:53 PM']Lay off the pointy basses b*tches... :huh:[/quote]

our guitarist has a dean ml metalman....it won't fit in any gigbag known to man, due to the fact it's about 17 miles long (thanks, pointy body/headstock), you can't (easily) sit down and play it, the fretboard is wide enough to park a mini on, and the body cuts in and disappears right where i rest my arm/hand :)

having said that though it sounds alright and has a really high output for a passive bass...and pairs well with his razorback V 255...

[quote name='Alastair' post='274066' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:54 PM']Bad ass bridges: Look crap, can in no way justify the price tag IMO.

Duncan Pups. Dunno why. Just never liked em.[/quote]

two for one!....if someone can just slag off graphite nuts and hand-wound pups now, that will be everything i own, trashed in this thread :huh:

i don't know why i'm enjoying that...