Why become a member? ×

The 80's

gadgie

I like the Teardrop Explodes songs, but the rest of the bands i didn`t think much of including Prince. Couldn`t stand Prince. I guess Obsession by Animotion, and Yazoo were proper 80`s. I did like Temptation by Heaven 17. Not a big fan of it at the time, but i seem to like it now.

Edited by timmo

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1436975785' post='2822509']
I've heard it said that the '80's was the re-packaged 50's and the 90's was the 60's.
[/quote]

It's worse than that. The 50s was the repackaged 20s according to my dad, his dad was always pointing out that the latest tune was a cover. Although I guess the word hadn't been coined by then.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1436998160' post='2822777']
I was listening to Absolute 80's on DAB this evening and heard 'Christian' by China Crisis. Really enjoyed the sparse bassline.
[/quote]

That is a track I always loved. I never really liked that much else they did.

But I am going through the 80s and 90s at the moment, looking for other covers for a 3 piece!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436803710' post='2820922']
Like any other decade, most of the interesting stuff wasn't popular enough to make to top 20 and get on to the compilation albums.
[/quote]

+1. I had a total blast late 70s/early 80s. The impact of Post Punk has never been properly acknowledged.

I was 15 in 1980. It was the decade in which I really got properly seriously into music (having been hooked by 2-Tone in '79), discovered girls in a meaningful fashion ;), picked up a bass for the first time, did my A levels, got a job and a car and a band, and then a really good band and a Wal, built a following and spent every weekend playing in London at the Brentford Red Lion (RIP), 100 Club, T&C, Rock Garden... loving life and loving music and the whole thrill of being young with the world as my oyster.
GOD, I F**KING LOVED THE EIGHTIES.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1436998772' post='2822792']
I was 15 in 1980. It was the decade in which I really got properly seriously into music (having been hooked by 2-Tone in '79), discovered girls in a meaningful fashion ;), picked up a bass for the first time, did my A levels, got a job and a car and a band, and then a really good band, built a following and spent every weekend playing in London at the Brentford Red Lion (RIP), 100 Club, T&C, Rock Garden... loving life and loving music and the whole thrill of being young with the world as my oyster.
GOD, I F**KING LOVED THE EIGHTIES.
[/quote]

The best bit was ramming a club/pub full of your school mates. They'd come to see you just because you were in a band. Who cares how good the music was. Now thanks to strict ID you can't do that. :(

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1436998386' post='2822781']
That is a track I always loved. I never really liked that much else they did.

But I am going through the 80s and 90s at the moment, looking for other covers for a 3 piece!
[/quote]

Twas 1979, but I always wanted to cover this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jSqLJsDJgw[/media]

The 80s pretty much had everything , you don't have to like it all but if you dig in there is / was something for everyone

Most Top 10s featured a vast selection of styles and images , we had unique vocalists not just singers.

This was our last gigs set list ...

Like a virgin
Brass in Pocket
Somewhere in my heart
Picture This
Hanging on the telephone
Died in your arms
Boys of summer
Hungry like the wolf
First Picture of you
Walk like an Egyptian
99 Red balloons
Flashdance
Fame

Don’t stop believing
I love rock & roll
Planet Earth
Walking on sunshine
Eye of the tiger
Atomic
Kids in America
Alone
Total Eclipse of the heart
Hot Stuff
Living on a prayer
Here I go again
Sweet child
Purple rain

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1436890838' post='2821784']
In 1986, aged 14, I discovered Metallica. Things went downhill from that point!
[/quote]

No, believe me, you mean [b]up[/b]hill! ;) :D
Metallica, Megadeth and Testament (and Slayer to a lesser extent) made the 80s an absolutely fantastic decade for metal. And of course we had the resurgence of Aerosmith, and the hair metal of Crue, Poison, Jovi et al, as well as new appreciation for Brit veterans Maiden, Priest, Sabbath and Motorhead... Ahhh I'm feeling better just mentioning them all. I fell in love with distorted guitar, epic multi-octave-run, wah-enhanced solos, and operatic singing.
It was, however, perfectly possible to appreciate the pop side of the 80s at the same time. I remember (and still like hearing their songs on the radio) most of the bands you guys have mentioned, I agree that it was a good time to listen to bass in pop and pop-rock, which in a sense compensated for bass usually being a poor second to guitar in the metal scene (with the obvious exceptions of mostly Steve Harris and Geezer Butler).
It was great to be in your late teens or early twenties in the 80s. :)

Edited by bluejay

I think the main thing about 80s music for me is the high proportion of things that haven't aged well at all compared to other eras - possibly down to the advent/(over)usage of digital technology at the time (Yamaha DX7, Simmons drums, Fairlight etc)

Can remember being really impressed by this track (and the back story) back in the day when it appeared on The Tube (excellent programme) but hearing it now I wonder what on earth my ears were up to..

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgYSqqsrBA0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgYSqqsrBA0[/url]

Wasn't born in the 80's but all my musical heritage comes from there.

Maiden, Priest, Testament, Angel Witch and all the other bands I discovered when I was younger came from that era.

I'm not that old but I feel old just mentioning Angel Witch!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436908667' post='2822035']

Probably - he's the guitarist named on Wikipedia for what it's worth. Whoever it was image-wise they were totally inappropriate for the band.

Strangely enough I caught Furniture at the end of the 80s when they were promoting their second album "Food Sex & Paranoia". They were on in the SU bar at Trent Poly and were totally fantastic. The Wrong People is still one of my favourite albums.

For a terrible live band from the 80s. IMO you would have to try very hard beat the awfulness of A Flock Of Seagulls. Lumpen, pedestrian, turgid synth pop churned out by people who didn't really understand musically, or image-wise, what it was all about; but were transparently desperate to be successful. Someone at their record company must have had a lot of faith in them (and a massive promotional budget), because it seemed that they would turn up as second support for every other really good band that I went see. I must have had the misfortune to catch their live act on at least 6 separate occasions, most of the time without realising that they were on the bill until I turned up at the gig.
[/quote]

The worst band I've ever seen live was Bad Manners- drunk, tuneless and shambolic, but my favourite ever band name was one I saw in the US, for an 80s tribute act - " A flock of assholes".

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1437153347' post='2824105']
The worst band I've ever seen live was Bad Manners- drunk, tuneless and shambolic, but my favourite ever band name was one I saw in the US, for an 80s tribute act - " A flock of assholes".
[/quote]

That is a cracking band name for sure! :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1437152856' post='2824099']
The only musical thing I'd change about the 80's is the horrible compressed and processed drum sound everyone used.
[/quote]

God yes, especially the ubiquitous gated snare sound that was on EVERYTHING. :shok:

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1437187094' post='2824349']
That is a cracking band name for sure! :D
[/quote]

Nearly as good as [i]Cradle Of Filth[/i]. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437207236' post='2824388']
God yes, especially the ubiquitous gated snare sound that was on EVERYTHING. :shok:
[/quote]

What about that staccato single note string line on Soul II Soul's, Back to life?

Released in May 1989, and then heard on EVERY dance/soul/R&B[size=2]*[/size] track through the 90's.

[size=2]. *not to be confused with RnB which is the good kind ;)[/size]

Edited by MacDaddy