Why become a member? ×

Interesting article on state of things at Gibson

bassbiscuits

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]
[url="http://gawker.com/gibson-guitar-is-a-remarkably-unpopular-company-1713072808?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow"]http://gawker.com/gibson-guitar-is-a-remarkably-unpopular-company-1713072808?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow[/url][/font][/color]
Story claiming things are terrible at Gibson, that the company is run terribly badly and that the products are suffering.[/font][/color]
I'm not entirely surprised by the build quality concerns - I've played some very good Gibsons, but also some with really bad finishing/fretwork etc, which isn't the end of the world, but not really on when you spend £1,500+ on a guitar which immediately needs a new nut or fret dress.[/font][/color]
Especially when bass manufacturers like Sandberg, who are neither massive nor boutique, can get such things very right on an instrument of the same price, if the makers care enough to do so.[/font][/color]

It should be noted that the acoustics and the Memphis-built semi's are quite nicely made if a bit on the pricey side. One can only assume that top honcho Henry Juskiwicz is unaware that these operations are part of the Gibson group's portfolio or he would have f***ed them up the arse the same way he's done the solid bodies.

It's a shame tho innit? I always loved the look and mythology of Gibsons, even though at the end of the day I didn't get on with them as much as Fenders etc.

I briefly had a Gibson with a terrible rough, dry fretboard with machining marks on it - didn't look like it had been finished properly at all. Shame as the guitar itself was quite nice and resonant, but fretboard did my head in.

My regular guitar repairman, whose valuable opinion and experience I often seek if in doubt, said he'd seen plenty like it on recent Gibson models, which he thought was pretty dire considering their price and reputation.

But I think the company has lost it's way a bit lately - the 2015 models, with robot tuners, strange neck profiles and lower frets etc are just a bit too odd for me. I guess they can't go on forever making 1958-1960 Les Pauls etc, but I think they've gone off the boil a bit.

Had a Gibson EB 5 for 3 months... Gigged it once and it was granny pants.... Worst buy of my life. Looked cheap and it felt so crappy that I cringed when people asked to try it out.... If I hadn't sold it....(and lost out on it,) .....Guy Fawkes would have even wearing it in a few months time.... Totally useless....

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1435092675' post='2805465']
Played a newish Gibson Hummingbird a few weeks ago & it was a piece of sh*t.
Even the guy that owned it said so & had gone back to using a Takemine that cost a quarter of the price.
[/quote]

Not wanting to hijack the thread so I'll be brief, but Takamine have always made excellent guitars; when I bought my EN10L back in around '97 I chose it over a much more expensive Fylde available at the same time. Not flashy, but a great working tool that just gets the job done every time. Lent it to a well-known Blues-playing friend once or twice, and he reckoned it was one of the nicest guitars he'd ever played (as compared to his normal Martins and Gibsons). I still have it and have no plans to get rid.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1435131047' post='2805658']
Build guitars based on an established heritage and by listening to what the consumer wants? Ok...

[url="http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/-gibson-unveils-2-million-eden-of-coronet-diamond-guitar/51396"]http://www.guitarpla...nd-guitar/51396[/url]
[/quote]
Are the frets level?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1435131047' post='2805658']
Build guitars based on an established heritage and by listening to what the consumer wants? Ok...

[url="http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/-gibson-unveils-2-million-eden-of-coronet-diamond-guitar/51396"]http://www.guitarpla...nd-guitar/51396[/url]
[/quote]

[size=3]Gibson commission $2m diamond-covered SG. Looks arse, probably has fret sprout .[/size]

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1435131047' post='2805658'] Build guitars based on an established heritage and by listening to what the consumer wants? Ok... http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/-gibson-unveils-2-million-eden-of-coronet-diamond-guitar/51396 [/quote]

My word, that's hideous. Two million dollars worth of utter tastelessness. Does Lewis Hamilton play guitar by any chance?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1435158863' post='2806061']
All that bling and it still has a nasty plastic toggle switch!
[/quote]

Indeed. And - as someone remarked somewhere else - standard fret markers and a rosewood board when they could have used ebony and some custom inlays. Basically, a bog-standard SG off the line dipped in glue and rolled in diamonds. Plays like buttah.

But look closer... Dear God! ... are those [i]heart-shaped pot knobs[/i]? It's like one of those Limited Edition mantelpiece tat offers you see in the back of TV Choice;

'An amazing commemorative model of Hogwarts Academy out of Harry Potter lovingly crafted by Franklin Crystal only £49.99 posted, suckers'.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1435159511' post='2806080']

Indeed. And - as someone remarked somewhere else - standard fret markers and a rosewood board when they could have used ebony and some custom inlays. Basically, a bog-standard SG off the line dipped in glue and rolled in diamonds. Plays like buttah.

But look closer... Dear God! ... are those [i]heart-shaped pot knobs[/i]? It's like one of those Limited Edition mantelpiece tat offers you see in the back of TV Choice;

'An amazing commemorative model of Hogwarts Academy out of Harry Potter lovingly crafted by Franklin Crystal only £49.99 posted, suckers'.
[/quote]

Gibson don't use ebony now after 'the incident'... They've replaced it with 'black richlite'

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1435165850' post='2806166']
Gibson don't use ebony now after 'the incident'... They've replaced it with 'black richlite'
[/quote]

Hmmmm, what incident? Just Googled 'black richlite' and it sounds exactly the same as Ebonol.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1435174952' post='2806300']
I think it refers to their being raided by the FBI or someone, for importing illegal/protected hard woods.
[/quote]
I thought that was for illegal rosewood?

Think I'll wait for the Harley Benton version...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1435156686' post='2806036']

[size=3]Gibson commission $2m diamond-covered SG. Looks arse, probably has fret sprout .[/size]
[/quote]

If you were a player with 2 million to spend you will be buy a 1959 LP not that piece of junk. If you are russian/arab/lewis hamiltion you will be buying this. Sadly i guess there is a market for this type of stuff other wise they wouldnt be building it