Why become a member? ×

Wanted - Your Opinions on Laklands

bassfan

For me it's the Lakland Darryl Jones that is their finest creation. I love the whole 70s Jazz vibe but love modern basses and the DJ is absolutely perfect for me. Once I heard it on a recording I had done, I ordered another one - it's that good that I would hate to be without one. The 44-02 and the 55-02 superb and I can't see myself selling them but for what I'm doing at the moment the DJs suit it perfectly. The 55-02 gets a lot of use at home though.

Lakland are top notch. I got my last egg poacher from there and a device that cuts an apple into bits and isolates that unwanted core. I also purchased a bespoke piece of tuppaware that successfully encapsulates half a Spanish onion and allows you to store it with other fruit and veg without any fear of cross contamination. Also I saw a blue one in Reverb in Brum for £800. I gave it a quick once over and it seemed excellent. I quickly put it back.

[quote name='Alastair' post='272915' date='Aug 29 2008, 11:40 PM']I agree, cant stand the look of the bridges :)[/quote]

Can't see the issue. They are very distinctive and make a Lakky easy to spot from a distance. If you don't like them, buy a Fender...

The ones I've played have been pretty nice. In particular, martthebass's black DJ5. That was the nicest quality one I've tried. It also did the old school jazz sound very well. I really wanted to like the Duck Dunn I tried & a couple of the 45-01/02's but they just felt cheap to me. Seems like you have to try before you buy in order to get a really nice one, much like Fenders.

The other interesting option is to have a look on Jon Shuker's site. He'll make you an active P or J starting at around Lakland money. Look at what Nick (NiceGuyHomer) has said about his!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='273304' date='Aug 30 2008, 07:15 PM']The ones I've played have been pretty nice. In particular, martthebass's black DJ5. That was the nicest quality one I've tried. It also did the old school jazz sound very well. I really wanted to like the Duck Dunn I tried & a couple of the 45-01/02's but they just felt cheap to me. Seems like you have to try before you buy in order to get a really nice one, much like Fenders.[/quote]

Think that's what I was trying to say Rich - only you said it better.

I think, like you I tried all the Lakkys in Electro. I liked a DJ5 natural because it was nice and light - it was about a lb lighter than my DJ5 but somehow it felt cheap and lacked grunt. The DD just felt cheap. The best of the bunch was a JO4 in 3TS lovely sounding and playing but £825. I picked up a new black MM SR4 that was lying around for comparison and unfortunately (for my pocket) it convinced me to sell the DJ5 and get another MM. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy another Lakky but I guess I wouldn't buy one blind (just like Fenders). I guess it would be boring if we all liked the same thing......

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='272926' date='Aug 30 2008, 12:06 AM']Lakland are top notch. I got my last egg poacher from there and a device that cuts an apple into bits and isolates that unwanted core. I also purchased a bespoke piece of tuppaware that successfully encapsulates half a Spanish onion and allows you to store it with other fruit and veg without any fear of cross contamination. Also I saw a blue one in Reverb in Brum for £800. I gave it a quick once over and it seemed excellent. I quickly put it back.[/quote]I agree, we bought some bags from them that somehow manage to keep things fresh forever. Very innovative with their forward thinking kitchenalia.

I had a fantastic 1997 4-94 loved it to bits.... the Bartolini's just didn't suit me at the time, bit polite for what I wanted.

Still one of the best put together & playing / feeling bass i've ever owned

I've owned a couple of Skylines and tried out loads...

I'd have to say there is more of a difference btw the USA basses and the Skylines than many people say...

certainly more of a difference than say the USA Sadowsky's and their Metro equivalents.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Sean' post='273296' date='Aug 30 2008, 07:01 PM']Can't see the issue. They are very distinctive and make a Lakky easy to spot from a distance. If you don't like them, buy a Fender...[/quote]

Yeah, i like the fact that when watching TV i know what to look for to spot a Lakland.

I had a bash on P-T-P's white DJ5... it looks the business and sounds even better. An absolute belter, I mean really [i]really [/i]good. The only better-sounding Jazzalike I've played is CK's Celinder, and there wasn't much in it.
Suffice it to say, that DJ5 is one of the few basses I have GAS for.

I've had both the JO5 and a 55-02 in the last few years.

The JO5 was a fantastic bass with a beautiful jazz tone and really good build quality, but it's weight was just too much for my shoulder. It was replaced by the 55-02 was felt similar in many ways, but the Barts just didn't do it for me at all; too polite in every respect. I've heard lots of folks say that the 55-02 does a really good impression of a Stingray and a jazz, but mine certainly didn't - not to my ears anyway. I believe the Lakland PUP's and pre may be more capable on this front.

I've recently replaced the 55-02 with an F-bass BN5; now that's a seriously amazing bass that does a good jazz impression and feels fantastic in the hands.

I've had a few Lakland Skylines over time...

Have to disagree with those who question the QC. Maybe they've seen a few with iffy paintwork, I haven't myself and if you have an issue with pale finished maple and associating that with being cheap, that might also make you think twice, but again, personally I don't have an issue with that. The things that really matter - tuners, bridge, pick-ups neck joint etc. - Lakland Skylines wipe the floor with most Fenders and I've never thought twice about buying blind which is something I'd not likely do with a Fender again.

I will agree that weights can vary quite a bit, which can be an important factor.

Like pretty much any manufactured item, there's the possibility that something slips through the net which shouldn't, but compared to most, I think Lakland are pretty good at not letting this happen. More importantly though, when this does happen, you can call them up or drop them an e-mail and they will bend over backwards to help you get it sorted.

With any guitar though, no matter how well made, the possibility exists that two identical models can and will have properties which will appeal to or put off different people. That's the nature of the beast and, especially if you're buying new or can't be doing with buying and selling second hand until you find what you're looking for, I would make sure you like what you're buying and compare it to as many siblings as possible.

Over time I have owned...

55-01 Deluxe
55-01 NTMB
55-01 Fretless
55-01 Standard
55-02 Deluxe
55-02 Standard x2
JO5 x2
JO4
DJ5 Standard
DD
DJ5 with Bartolini NTBT Pre-amp

The last two are my current basses and the last one is the one Rich has played and it is simply amazing. Nothing I have played or owned has come close. I went to Bass Central in Florida back last year ready and willing to fork over a couple of grand for a bass if I found "the one" but I never did and I played some fantastic instruments from Roscoe, F-Bass, Conklin, Lakland US, MMan etc. The F-Bass came closest to making me spend cash, but I think the nicest bass I played there was actually a Skyline 55-02 with the Lakland pick-ups and pre-amp, certainly best value bass.

So how come I've been through so many? It's just a question of searching for the right bass and, having found the DJ5, I'm looking for the right second bass lol

I want to like the 55-02s but find them too in-betweeny, neither jazz or MMan, though the deluxe one I had I did enjoy, though it was maybe a tad on the weighty side.

I really like the 55-01s and wish I could have the 55-01 deluxe back, that was a mistake to sell.

Of the two JO5s, one I let go because it had a rosewood board and I regret that so much because, in hindsight it was a great bass. The other was lovely, especially with a J-Retro fitted, and for a while I didn't play the DJ5 but then when I went back to the DJ5 at a gig, it just felt like home. I let it go because I fancied the Duck Dunn and needed to raise some cash.

The Duck Dunn puzzles me a bit and the jury is still out. It has the Lakland pick-up and is quite aggressive sounding until you roll off the tone and that's with flatwounds on it! It plays beautifully though and looks amazing. Am leaning towards a pick-up change, but have a feeling it might sound fantastic when recorded which was kinda why I bought in the first place.

The DJ5 I let go was another great bass, but I just didn't get the connection with it that I felt with the one I kept. I've thought about getting it back again when it's been for sale, especially since discovering the joys of the J-Retro. Think that could have been the missing link.

That leaves the JO4 which sounded epic and looked amazing but which I couldn't get a decent set-up from. I like a really low action and this was just too much, no matter what I did. Maybe that's a QC thing or maybe just me.

One thing about Laklands v Fenders that's worth mentioning is that a lot of the Lakland love comes from 5 string players, that's because Fender 5s tend to have horrific B strings while Lakland 5s are amazing.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassfan' post='288053' date='Sep 20 2008, 03:53 PM']Well...after alot of reading and listening...

I bought one....

I am now the proud owner of a 44-02 Deluxe in Sunburst. Just need to find some time to play now!!!

Thanks for the responses guys....[/quote]

You should know the rule... no-one can claim to own a bass until we've seen the photographic evidence :)

The more time I spend with my 55-02 the more it impresses me. The construction is flawless and it's hard to believe this isn't the top of their range... They aren't cheap but compared to US Fenders they're not expensive.

I'd expect more cosmetic improvements than anything else on the US range since the electronics are the same (with the 44-02/55-02). It definitely is a hybrid of a Jazz and Stingray, leaning slightly more towards the Jazz but not a traditional passive sounding one.

I've had GAS for a five-string Darryl Jones for just ages. It's one of those things that I haven't fully shaken off.

That said, I've never played a single note on a Lakland, I've been wholly drawn in by the looks, word of mouth, lots of very positive reviews and forum postings; part of that desire factor was simply based on the matter that they were so hard to get hold of over here as well and now everyone seems to be selling them.

I think now [and I'm guessing the time period] some two or three years after my initial interest, I'm beginning to think that for the money I could source several perfectly serviceable (used or new) basses - ie a Geddy, a Tokai TB48(!), maybe even put a Status neck on an OLP body and run it as a five. It's not the having, it's the getting.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='288394' date='Sep 21 2008, 09:39 AM']....I've never played a single note on a Lakland, I've been wholly drawn in by the looks, word of mouth, lots of very positive reviews and forum postings....[/quote]
I'd never played a Lakland until I got mine, there weren't many in the UK at the time. I had read a lot of positive comments and reports about them and wanted to get back to the Bartolini sound. I was also influenced when one of my favourite players, Willie Weeks, started playing one. I was taking a chance but haven't regretted it for a moment. I found I didn't need any other bass and the Lakland retired my Precision, Stingray and even the Wal, which I didn't expect!!