Why become a member? ×

How good is your Music Theory/Reading?

lowdown

Funnily enough - I play in 2 sight reading bands each week, and also dep here and there (nothing too pro) and I only got 9 out of 15!

My failings were the chordal stuff and cadence etc. This is where my theory has always let me down. Time to get some deeper theory training methinks....

14/15 because of the up bow/down bow thing - - something I've consistently erred on for decades. :blush:

But I've got a nerdy/geeky question, and I don't know whether the answer lies in the language department or in the realm of musical styles or even in changes within theory.
See, when I got my education, a D double sharp and and E are (in Dutch) not the same NOTE even if they give the same TONE on many instruments ("tone" here not meaning timbre but more like say frequency).
IMS, in Dutch classical music in the seventies/eighties, we'd call the interval a diminished second (D - E would be a large second, D sharp - E would be a little second).

In the quiz, I opted for "they're the same notes", not even looking at the other options, guessing this is what they wanted, and also guessing that in English this is a usual (and possibly even theoretically correct) way of looking at it.

How say you? Is the quiz correct in its answer? Does it differ per musical style?

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1433451871' post='2791261']
14/15 because of the up bow/down bow thing - - something I've consistently erred on for decades. :blush:

But I've got a nerdy/geeky question, and I don't know whether the answer lies in the language department or in the realm of musical styles or even in changes within theory.
See, when I got my education, a D double sharp and and E are (in Dutch) not the same NOTE even if they give the same TONE on many instruments ("tone" here not meaning timbre but more like say frequency).
IMS, in Dutch classical music in the seventies/eighties, we'd call the interval a diminished second (D - E would be a large second, D sharp - E would be a little second).

In the quiz, I opted for "they're the same notes", not even looking at the other options, guessing this is what they wanted, and also guessing that in English this is a usual (and possibly even theoretically correct) way of looking at it.

How say you? Is the quiz correct in its answer? Does it differ per musical style?
[/quote]

In [i]equal temperament[/i], D double-sharp and E are alternative "spellings" of the same note.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1433346557' post='2790327']
I would fail badly if I took the test

I will however play every note correctly at my gig on friday , and hopefully with good timing and dynamics (or whatever the real word for that is)
[/quote]

Looks like we better stick together Lojo! We are surrounded by music theorist geniuses ( they can prob all play brilliantly also! )

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1433456566' post='2791326']
In [i]equal temperament[/i], D double-sharp and E are alternative "spellings" of the same note.
[/quote]

Thanks for trying, Ras.
As indicated in other words in my question, I'm aware of them giving the same frequency in equal temperament, and that is not what I'm asking about.

I remember a BassChat post where a Brit stated that people use the word TONE when in reality they mean TIMBRE. So my guess was that the word TONE does exist is the meaning I tried to describe, and that that is what should have been used in the quiz.
Not sure though - - hence the question.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1433502952' post='2791603']
Thanks for trying, Ras.
As indicated in other words in my question, I'm aware of them giving the same frequency in equal temperament, and that is not what I'm asking about.

I remember a BassChat post where a Brit stated that people use the word TONE when in reality they mean TIMBRE. So my guess was that the word TONE does exist is the meaning I tried to describe, and that that is what should have been used in the quiz.
Not sure though - - hence the question.
[/quote]

People on here talk about TONE a lot, probably because their basses have "tone" controls :) Tone meaning something frequency-related isn't common in the UK, although it appears in terms like "tritone". More usually we'll talk about NOTEs (e.g. C, implicitly any C) and PITCHes (e.g. Middle C, a specific instance of a note).

Re-reading your question, I think the answer is, "eh?" :) D-E is a major second, D#-E is a minor second (matching your terminology), but D##-E as a "diminished second" is a purely theoretical concept (with equal temperament): it would be a "zero interval" between identical frequencies.

I'm not sure any of that helps....

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1433503903' post='2791627']
People on here talk about TONE a lot, probably because their basses have "tone" controls :) Tone meaning something frequency-related isn't common in the UK, although it appears in terms like "tritone". More usually we'll talk about NOTEs (e.g. C, implicitly any C) and PITCHes (e.g. Middle C, a specific instance of a note).
[/quote]

Thanks again, Ras, and a general mea culpa sorry for the thread derailment.
Tone controls! :) Why didn't I think of that?
BTW; also in Dutch we can use the word tone for timbre++, as in an instrument or a player having a great tone.

Great example with the tritone. Another thing I hadn't thought about.
Then again, I'd forgotten about the word "pitch" too. :blush:

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1433503903' post='2791627']
but D##-E as a "diminished second" is a purely theoretical concept (with equal temperament): it would be a "zero interval" between identical frequencies.
[/quote]

Aye, but don't let that sound as something negative. It's not more theoretical than calling a C-C interval a "first" (which we do in Dutch calling it a prime), especially when talking about two different voices. It's just a tool to describe what we find.
But yes, composers are divided, and whilst some would write down the D double-sharp as a D double-sharp indeed, on the basis of the formal construction of the piece, others would just not care on that nerd/geek level, and write it as an E.

Anyway, thanks again.