Why become a member? ×

Thanks Parcelforce - Hurray my new bass has arrrived and been tossed over the gate

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1431599026' post='2772938']
I should say that Parcelforce have successfully delivered some of that! :-)
[/quote]

I'd like to have seen the face of the driver who got lumbered with the Diesel 2x15, especially if it's flightcased :)

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1431600358' post='2772969']
I picked that up myself. As nothing to my old Road Ready 2x18 which weighed in at 107 kilos.
[/quote]

Mesa and 70s Precisions, a real man's rig :)

The OP is not responsible for the actions of the driver, or the actions of Parcelforce management.

Had my property been treated the same way I would probably have done the same thing, and would have absolutely no guilt at the outcome.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1431601074' post='2772979']

Mesa and 70s Precisions, a real man's rig :)
[/quote]

+1 to that. 2x18 - you could flap some flares with those. You could probably rearrange someone's insides too, if they stood too close and it was turned up. Feel the thunder!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1431603871' post='2773025']
The OP is not responsible for the actions of the driver, or the actions of Parcelforce management.

Had my property been treated the same way I would probably have done the same thing, and would have absolutely no guilt at the outcome.
[/quote]

I don't understand how the customer complaints department has failed so badly. How a customer can be so annoyed that within 48hours of what is effectively a near miss (no bass guitars were damaged or lost) an employee gets the sack from managing director level.

It's a very strange way to operate a service company.

Hi all,

I'm feeling this thread has turned pretty bad and I'm not happy about that. I would like to take the time to address a few points and draw a line under this if people are willing. There have been other posters on here taking a particular stance against me and I'd like to outline my decision making process as it has been, whether that is right or wrong in your eyes. I feel like I am being vilified and guilt tripped for the actions I have taken when my intention was just to launch the thread to highlight the poor service I had received to other bass players and yes - I guess - seek a bit of solidarity & commiseration.

My initial reason for posting this thread was purely from a position of outrage and done in the midst of my anger and what I consider to be very bad service from a courier firm delivering a fragile semi acoustic instrument- Namely Faking my signature, lobbing my bass over my gate on a rainy day where it would wait until my wife or I return from work that evening. Had the bass been stolen the onus would have then been on me to prove I hadn't taken delivery of it- when there is a signature with name on it. I was mad as hell and launched what I felt and still feel was a justified complaint to the courier company and copying in the company I purchased the goods from.

I rang Parcelforce on the day and asked them " how do I complain". They directed me to use their online complaints form. I wasn't directed to ring the depot to complain to the local manager nor did it occur to me to do that.
That evening having received neither a confirmation or reply from ParcelForce (and expecting when I did to to get some general platitudes around "we'll look in to this") and still fuming I wanted to make sure might complaint was heard by a senior person at the company. I sent a message to the Parcel Force MD and Thomann. I know from having worked in a Mayoral complaints team in the past, that complaints sent to an MD usually get answered by a higher level dedicated complaints team. I didn't think and don't believe that this message did reach the eyes of the MD or that these type of complaints ever do.

My email to them simply listed the course of events, bemoaned that my bass wasn’t taken to a depot where it would be safe an I could collect it.

The company have acted on my complaint and they contacted the local Regional Manager who rang me yesterday to tell me they had “ ended the contract” of the courier involved as their actions contravened their working and company policy. I take this to mean someone got fired but I guess it could also mean the have stopped using the sub contractor involved. This doesn’t seem like a sacking offense to me and I would have expected someone to have got a bollocking at best.

I didn’t ask for nor expect any particular course of action as a result- I just wanted my complaint to be heard and hopefully ensure this kind of behaviour happens less in the future as a result. I did not foresee that this would end up as it has and would not wish someone to get a sacking. I wanted to make sure that my justifiable complaint was “heard” not just “acknowledged” by a major courier company.

I feel that my complaint and the routes for my complaint were entirely justified.
I posted here because I thought it would interest Bass Chat and because I needed a bloody good moan.
I am not happy about the outcome for the driver if what they told me has really happened and I must assume it has.
I’m not happy about the way the thread is going and won’t be contributing to it anymore. Feel free to lock, delete or whatever you want. I'm done.

Best Regards,

Stuckinthepod

i don't think the OP has anything to answer.

the reason the bass wasn't damaged was the packaging from thomann. the fact that it wasn't damaged is irrelevant as when you pay postage the minimum you should expect for the service is for the product to arrive undamaged.

looking at the photo if the bass hadn't landed the way it did on the other side of the fence, wasn't so well packed, or the rain poured it would have been damaged.

the driver has a contract, as part of the contract he has to deliver to a set standard, clearly the item needed to be signed for, and as such it should have been left with a neighbour or returned to the depot, neither of which happened and a signature was faked.

it seems odd that the driver was sacked because of this one incident, but maybe he has previous, or as suggested the OP was told this to make him feel better and the guy is still out on his rounds.

the OP has every right to be upset and followed the appropriate channels, it is not his fault the driver for whatever reason has not done his job correctly.

You have no control over what has or hasn't happened to the courier or what actions he takes when "doing his job".

You did the correct thing by asking how to raise a complaint about what had happened and making the complaint. Had I gotten no answer, I'd have raised it further too, just like people do at where I work.
The complaint was just, as the outcome could very easily have been different & there's nothing to say that the courier wouldn't have thought twice about doing it regularly.

The only person who can be blamed for the courier getting action taken against them is the same person who forged your signature.

With this being a forum, there will be people who don't agree with you & try turn the blame on the victim. That's just the way of some people.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1431608378' post='2773129']
Hi

Stuckinthepod
[/quote]

I don't think you did anything wrong.

A few other posters jumped in and seemed to be encouraging you to hunt the driver down and kill him. :D

It seems to me a failing of their complaints department but who knows how busy they are. Although I would have expected your complaint be prioritised and put in a queue to be dealt with within a couple of days considering your complaint didn't actually involve loss or damage.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1431609456' post='2773156']
OP - you don't have to justify yourself to a bunch of people sticking their oar in. This thread represents BC at its nitpicky worst. Embarrassing.
[/quote]

^This^ Found it hard to understand some of the skewed viewpoints, top be honest

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1431608378' post='2773129']
Hi all,

I'm feeling this thread has turned pretty bad and I'm not happy about that. I would like to take the time to address a few points and draw a line under this if people are willing.
Stuckinthepod
[/quote]

Thank you - good post.
I agree with your opening statements and wish to draw a line under this too.
(And I'm glad that your bass is OK and that you are enjoying it. :) )
Jazzneck.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1431617014' post='2773279']
Was just having the conversation this morning about someone working for Hermes being paid 50p per package delivered. No wonder they're in a rush.
[/quote]

Surely they have to calculate stuff like that against minimum wage? So if you don't make enough deliveries you will still get minimum wage?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1431618818' post='2773297']

Surely they have to calculate stuff like that against minimum wage? So if you don't make enough deliveries you will still get minimum wage?
[/quote]

They're probably all self employed. Can't see how any of it can work. For a start how many will have business insurance on their cars. Can of worms.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1431618818' post='2773297']
[/quote]

myHerpes couriers are self-employed so minimum wage doesn't apply. Neat trick, huh? So you have to deliver around 15 packages an hour to reach minimum wage. That's about 120 per day.

Regardless, courier must take responsibility for his actions and live with the consequences.

Those seeing it from his side, fair enough, but if he'd just lobbed your 2 grand valve amp over the fence?????

As I said in my earlier post, I had an eerily similar scenario on about the same day with Parcelforce and a big Thomann box. I fully understand where the OP is coming from. The bass that the hardcase was for was delivered much more quickly by DHL all the way and I'd have been equally upset if my semi acoustic instrument had of been chucked over my fence in the rain.

As I said, the driver, who was a white van man on contract to Parcelforce, came around later with his wife because he realised he'd got it wrong. I felt sorry for him.

Don't blame the OP because the driver has woeful terms and conditions and because he got the sack. The blame lies with the present employment culture that pervades our society.

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1431626576' post='2773414']
The blame lies with the present employment culture that pervades our society.
[/quote]

+1 This. People are entitled to proper deliveries of course, but they should also be entitled to do their jobs properly.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1431609456' post='2773156']
This thread represents BC at its nitpicky worst. Embarrassing.
[/quote]

No it doesn't, you're just whinging, it was a quite balanced difference of opinion that has been largely resolved. It therefore represents what BC is about.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1431630044' post='2773469']
No it doesn't, you're just whinging, [b]it was a quite balanced difference of opinion that has been largely resolved. It therefore represents what BC is about.[/b]
[/quote]
Relatively new here and think it's quite rare/refreshing to find a forum that doesn't just see everything in black and white..