Why become a member? ×

Replacing Berg CN212 with 2x BF Super Compacts... Thoughts?

goonerjoe

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1431620655' post='2773328']
I agree with your point, we keep our stage volume as low as possible and drive the sound through front of house to the point that my CN212 is way overkill for most of the time
[/quote]
True - then your Bass to amp gain signal setting goes for a shttt, never seem to get my Mark bass above 9 0'clock

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1431554523' post='2772653']
This is the absolute opposite of reality! It is incredibly easy to get rid of bass (turn the bass knob to the left) but impossible to add more than the limit determined by the volume displacement of a loudspeaker.
[/quote]

oh dear, I don't know where to start, but I'll not bother, thanks. Carry on as you are.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1431616692' post='2773277']
Funnily enough I've not heard anyone complain about the AE series. The AE112 and 210's have always been very popular. One of the easiest cabs to sell because they're in so much demand :)
[/quote]

Agree, but then we are talking about a premium cab maker so no surprise there.
FWIW, I preferred the CN range over the AE on a demo and agree it was a step on, but I couldn't
justify the cost of a supposed 'upgrade'

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1431637854' post='2773600']
What on earth relevance is this comment to the discussion?
[/quote]

It's all about some people needing to feel superior to others. It runs through a lot of threads on here recently... :(

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1431631885' post='2773506']Is that before or after you got banned??[/quote]

Seeing as I've been posting on talkbass since 2001 and two weeks ago was banned for a month according to the CUP, what do you think? Well, let's do some basic maths:

14 years on talkbass is 728 weeks of reading/posting. I've been banned for 2 weeks. So the odds are approximately 350 to 1 that I read the relevant talkbass posts whilst not banned. :P

The ban is one month long. I'd be interested to see a list of commercial users on talkbass who've been on there as long as me and have never been banned through falling foul of the CUP - it would be a VERY short list...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1431686148' post='2773935']
Besides, most people who run any sort of bass related company get banned from Talkbass at some point - Alex wouldn't be the first. They're kind of touchy about what can and can't be said there.
[/quote]

Touchy indeed.
and that's being diplomatic...

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1431692789' post='2774026']

Seeing as I've been posting on talkbass since 2001 and two weeks ago was banned for a month according to the CUP, what do you think? Well, let's do some basic maths:

14 years on talkbass is 728 weeks of reading/posting. I've been banned for 2 weeks. So the odds are approximately 350 to 1 that I read the relevant talkbass posts whilst not banned. :P

The ban is one month long. I'd be interested to see a list of commercial users on talkbass who've been on there as long as me and have never been banned through falling foul of the CUP - it would be a VERY short list...
[/quote]
LOL that's some response! Thanks for the maths lesson😀

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431628008' post='2773426']
oh dear, I don't know where to start, but I'll not bother, thanks. Carry on as you are.
[/quote]

You could start by proving Alex wrong and, with your extensive knowledge of bass guitar loudspeaker cabinets, that should be easy enough for you. You and Alex are in totally opposing positions on the issue - I would love to know who is right and who is wrong here.

And I would look forward to learning something from your rebuttal.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1431724656' post='2774477']
You could start by proving Alex wrong and, with your extensive knowledge of bass guitar loudspeaker cabinets, that should be easy enough for you. You and Alex are in totally opposing positions on the issue - I would love to know who is right and who is wrong here.

And I would look forward to learning something from your rebuttal.

Frank.
[/quote]

Well, I've heard his cabs and some guys playing thru them. I've also seen them... I'd go along with the mid league table description in the cab world
as mentioned previously. So, yes, I don't buy into the whole thing, I'm afraid. Others might not agree, ..oh well..!!
The other issue I seem to come across is how come it is ok to promote a certain brand which you are connected to which others can't seem to do.
FWIW, I have no connections with any cab maker...but if a cab maker was so vocal they'd probably need to pay in affiliations..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431768646' post='2774726']...they'd probably need to pay in affiliations..??
[/quote]

Just a technical precision... 'Affiliate' posts are not payable, they have their own conditions, notable offering a discount or advantage to BC members. Details in the FAQ, here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178759-affiliatesdeals-faq/"]'Affiliates' FAQ ...[/url]

Just sayin'.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1431778738' post='2774878']
Just a technical precision... 'Affiliate' posts are not payable, they have their own conditions, notable offering a discount or advantage to BC members. Details in the FAQ, here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178759-affiliatesdeals-faq/"]'Affiliates' FAQ ...[/url]

Just sayin'.
[/quote]

OK ..I was thinking of having your own paid for thread...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431768646' post='2774726']
Well, I've heard his cabs and some guys playing thru them. I've also seen them... I'd go along with the mid league table description in the cab world
as mentioned previously. So, yes, I don't buy into the whole thing, I'm afraid. Others might not agree, ..oh well..!!
The other issue I seem to come across is how come it is ok to promote a certain brand which you are connected to which others can't seem to do.
FWIW, I have no connections with any cab maker...but if a cab maker was so vocal they'd probably need to pay in affiliations..??
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply....

Although I wasn't taIking about Barefaced cabs at all.

I was referring to the opposite opinions from yourself and Alex over adding or reducing bass and how, from a non-technical viewpoint, you would prove yourself to be correct and Alex wrong. To me, your reply to Alex wasn't helpful as there were no facts or counter argument.

To be honest, I was being a bit mischievous because I didn't believe you could do it. :)

The fact that I'm a long term Barefaced user has no bearing on this for me either. I also use other cabs and I'm open minded to new innovations - but the engineer in me tends to lead me to wanting to know the technical details more than a persons subjective opinion alone.

I read a post recently where a Compact owner said his Compact struggled when powered by his 200 watt amp. The fact is, the amp was struggling, not the cab.

So there you have an example of where having technical knowledge is hugely beneficial. Keep the cab and buy a new amp, not the other way around.

I've noticed this myself when powering my Compact with my Mesa Walkabout - if you demand too much the Walkabout starts to overdrive rather than give more volume. That doesn't happen with my Streamliner 900 though, it just gives me higher volume for those (very rare) occasions when I need that it.

I still believe technical specifications are important, in conjunction with subjective listening, preferably on a gig.

That's a long post for me. :unsure:

Frank.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431768646' post='2774726']
So, yes, I don't buy into the whole thing, I'm afraid. Others might not agree, ..oh well..!!
[/quote]

So here is a novel idea - why don't you just leave it there instead of trolling the same old venom every single time a Barefaced cab is mentioned? It would make life so much less tedious for everyone. I mean, we all get it now - you don't like them.

So, in summary. You don't like them? Fine. A lot of people do. That's fine.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1431692789' post='2774026']
Seeing as I've been posting on talkbass since 2001 and two weeks ago was banned for a month according to the CUP, what do you think?
[/quote]

Well seeing as you asked Alex, I think that saying you were married for ten years before you shot your wife isn't much of a defence. Nor is the fact that other people have shot their wives.

Not that I'm suggesting you have ever shot your wife, of course. By the way, what did they get you for? Spamming the discussion threads? :)