Why become a member? ×

Replacing Berg CN212 with 2x BF Super Compacts... Thoughts?

goonerjoe

[color=#000000][font=-apple-system-font][size=3]Hi all,[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=-apple-system-font][size=3]
My current set up is a fender P into a Orange TB500 via Sansamp BDDI… While I’m delighted with the sound of the cab, my main issue is I live in a 4th floor flat and my usual rehearsal space is also on the 3rd floor of an office block. The Berg is relatively light… but can be awkward to carry down narrow stairs (or just loads of stairs for that matter).[/size][/font][/color]
I’ve been looking at the Barefaced website, particularly at the super Compact cabs…The plan is to buy two, use one for rehearsals and smaller gigs and both cabs for larger shows. Will one of these be able to handle the job of the OBT500, or would i always need to use both? [/size][/font][/color]
Finally, can anyone tell me how the Barefaced cabs in general compare with the Berg’s, in terms of build quality and any other general observations/comparisons.[/size][/font][/color]
Or should I suck it up, stop being a wimp and appreciate the CN212? [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=-apple-system-font][size=3]
I can sense some GAS bubbling away! [/size][/font][/color]
Cheers.[/size][/font][/color]

Hi Joe

I`ve no experience of the Bergs but I can state that anyone who likes the tone of their bass and amp should be more than pleased using Barefaced cabs. They`re pretty much uncloured, so what goes in comes out so to speak. I`m not sure if one would "replace" a Berg 212 though, as from what I`ve read Bergs are pretty special, though for rehearsal purposes one should be plenty. It should certainly have no problems with the OTB.

Something to think about, I use a Barefaced Super 12T. I have two, and intended to use both for gigs, and at a rehearsal tried both plugged in and together they were way too much. Now in the past I`ve used Marshall 412s, and Ampeg 410 plus 210 combinations, yet none of these came close to the sheer presence and all-enveloping amount of bass from the two Super 12Ts. So Barefaced cabs are pretty good at handling a lot. One should be fine for practices, and both I`m sure would put a smile on your face at gigs.

2 Super Compacts weigh just about as much as the CN212 so unless you carry 1 cab per trip the weight isn't a real game changer.

The SC's will sound great, so IMO you've got to use the cab(s) that sounds the best.

Aesthetics vs weight is the way I see it. While the quality of fit and finish on the BF cabs has come on leaps and bounds since the old Generation 1 days, they are still not to everyone's taste. If you judge with your ears, there is less between them and again it comes down to personal preference.

One SC will easily "cope" with your TB500, but it will obviously be louder with two. They are 8 ohm cabs, but the whole difference between 4 and 8 is nowhere near the big deal that some people make it out to be.... that's another story! ;)

There are quite a few Barefaced owners who GAS over Bergantino cabs - so do you really [b][i]need[/i][/b] to change? If weight is the overall driver (see what I did there?) then I'd at least try an SC. You may be close enough to a BF owner to be able to try one (especially if you let them have a go of your Berg!). :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1431294160' post='2769804']
Yep - stop being a wimp :)

The CN212 is in a different league - Near the top of the premiership vs mid table championship. . .
[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with Barrie :) the Berg is the best cab I've ever owned.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1431326577' post='2769896']While the quality of fit and finish on the BF cabs has come on leaps and bounds since the old Generation 1 days, they are still not to everyone's taste.[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree with this at all. Do you use BF cabs? As a user myself I have to say that my cab is as robust and slick as any other 'name' manufacturer.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1431332730' post='2769964']
I'm not sure I agree with this at all. Do you use BF cabs?
[/quote]

Er.... yes. Do you read members' signatures? ;)

I've owned and used G1 and G2 Compacts, a Vintage and (currently) a Big One. I've not owned (but have used) G3 Midgets and Super Compacts.

I think I know the range quite well... :happy: Also, I am far from the only person to hold this opinion. Not that it bothers me much, I tend to judge my gear by how well it works (i.e [i][b]sounds[/b][/i]) rather than how it looks. :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1431334951' post='2770006']
After owning a Berg AE212 for a while, I switched to a Gen 2 Compact and Midget on a bit of a whim, and did not regret it one bit.
[/quote]

Exactly! Horses for courses. :)

The CN212 is in a different league - Near the top of the premiership vs mid table championship. . .
[/quote]

The OTB500 into one Super Compact will be almost as loud as the same amp into the CN212. Into two it'll be louder. Tone is a matter of personal preference but the other posts here suggest that the "mid table championship" frequently beat the "premiership" on that front too. :P

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1431336847' post='2770040']

The OTB500 into one Super Compact will be almost as loud as the same amp into the CN212. Into two it'll be louder. Tone is a matter of personal preference but the other posts here suggest that the "mid table championship" frequently beat the "premiership" on that front too. :P
[/quote]

I notice you keep saying your cabs are 'louder' than others from quite a few manufacturers.

Knowing you're an exponent of listening to things in the 'real world' does this mean you've run proper tests of your cabs versus the competition?

I'm sure people would love to see the results of your testing . . .

I notice that the odd championship team does indeed punch above its weight in the knockout cup competitions but they always seem to fail at the last hurdle when they come against the classy premiership teams :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1431338899' post='2770069']....the classy premiership teams :)
[/quote]

As a Newcastle fan I find that a spurious comparison. Some Premiership teams/clubs punch well [b][i]below[/i][/b] their weight but command (undeserved) respect due to their history, and (more importantly), treat their fans/customers with contempt. :angry:

Edited by Conan

[/quote]

Says the man who is a partner in a retailer who sell Bergantino! That doesn't necessarily discount your opinion, but it should be noted.

It seems to me that there is a very obvious choice here that no one has mentioned.

Sell the CN212 and buy a pair of CN112

A Pair of CN112 will sound different than the single CN212 - but not so different that a tweak of the EQ can't sort it out.

I use a pair of CN112 for the simple reason that I can take 1 cab to woodwind / orchestral stuff, and take 2 for the sweaty stuff.

I've been playing for 28 years now and I've never had a cab as impressive as Berg - and I've had a few different models of them.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1431339130' post='2770074']

As a Newcastle fan I find that a spurious comparison. Some Premiership teams/clubs punch well [b][i]below[/i][/b] their weight but command (undeserved) respect due to their history, and (more importantly), treat their fans/customers with contempt. :angry:
[/quote]

I used to know the lovely Mr Ashley - well, to be more accurate I was friends with his wife Linda (who actually was lovely). Never liked him and it's a great shame the things he's done whilst at Newcastle :(

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1431340008' post='2770081']

Says the man who is a partner in a retailer who sell Bergantino! That doesn't necessarily discount your opinion, but it should be noted.
[/quote]

I think you'll notice I'm recommending that the OP doesn't spend his hard-earned money. As far as I know he didn't buy anything from us and there are other Bergantino dealers out there as well.

My views on their cabs are based on being a gigging bassist not someone trying to pointlessly flog a cab to the OP.

I gig my Berg AE cab every opportunity I can get :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1431338899' post='2770069']I notice you keep saying your cabs are 'louder' than others from quite a few manufacturers.

Knowing you're an exponent of listening to things in the 'real world' does this mean you've run proper tests of your cabs versus the competition?
[/quote]

It's based on two things:

1. Lots of customers (and non-customers borrowing cabs) telling me how much louder the cabs are than other stuff they've used - that's the real world bit.
2. Us working with the manufacturers who make the OEM speakers in most of our competitors' cabs and therefore knowing what's possible from the speakers in their cabs - that's the science bit.

And obviously I've used various cabs but my experiences are very limited compared to the feedback of 1000+ customers, some of whom are doing hundreds of gigs a year.

If anyone wants to lend us some cabs to test we're happy to do that too, but an accurate test will take some time and effort to plan and execute fairly and reliably.

I must say that swapping from two 112 Bergs to a BF BB2 and Super Midget, both Gen 3, has increased the volume substantially. My band do play loud and through my gk mb800 the Bergs start to audibly distort at higher volumes, so the great tone they have is lost. However the BF keep on pumping out the great tone on and on as the volume increases, more than enough on tap for my needs.

To my ear, the lows are so thick and dispersed so evenly from the BB2 this IMO is in another league to the Bergs. To me through GK, Phil Jones and Mark Bass heads the tone is not miles apart between them at lower levels IMO.

I love Bergs, I love BF, but I've stuck with BF and are very happy with my decision. But that's just me, I get that some will love the Bergs and not be as taken with BF as I have been. That's the beauty of having all these choices to suit our tastes and needs!

BF for me. They still make me smile every time I pick them up too - incredibly lightweight.