Why become a member? ×

Replacing Berg CN212 with 2x BF Super Compacts... Thoughts?

goonerjoe

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431862331' post='2775619']
I don't think it should be accepted that bass cabs starts and end there...which may be the impression a newbie might get.
[/quote]

Well I happen to think that Fender basses are over priced firewood and I could take it upon myself to spam the various threads singing their praises with advice to buy a yamaha/ibanez/peavey for a 1/2 the price or less and get a better built better designed instrument, but I dont ... because it would annoy people.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1431951297' post='2776474']
Well I happen to think that Fender basses are over priced firewood and I could take it upon myself to spam the various threads singing their praises with advice to buy a yamaha/ibanez/peavey for a 1/2 the price or less and get a better built better designed instrument, but I dont ... because it would annoy people.
[/quote] Yet, in making your point managed to do exactly that.

To anyone who doesn't already know, both the Bergantino CN212 and Barefaced Super Compact cabs are in the top 5% of greatest cabs ever made. Yes they are!

The guys who repeatedly snipe about "issues" with Barefaced cabs (the same guys and the same "issues" every time) cannot alter the fact that these cabs really [u]are[/u] that good.

Anyone choosing to play either of these cabs will not be disappointed and the choice between them will be down to personal taste. The relentless sniping is also only about personal taste and should not worry anyone doing a serious evaluation prior to purchase.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431956438' post='2776548']
To anyone who doesn't already know, both the Bergantino CN212 and Barefaced Super Compact cabs are in the top 5% of greatest cabs ever made. Yes they are!

The guys who repeatedly snipe about "issues" with Barefaced cabs (the same guys and the same "issues" every time) cannot alter the fact that these cabs really [u]are[/u] that good.

Anyone choosing to play either of these cabs will not be disappointed and the choice between them will be down to personal taste. The relentless sniping is also only about personal taste and should not worry anyone doing a serious evaluation prior to purchase.
[/quote]
Word. B)

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1431892239' post='2776021']
Responding to the OP:

Having owned the BF BB2 and the Berg CN112 x 2, I will offer some thoughts. I have owned other flat cabs like the Acme B1 and B2, as well as the 'flat' powered Berg IP112ER.
[/quote]

That was an outstandingly well considered and even-handed review. Thanks.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1431965350' post='2776690']
That was an outstandingly well considered and even-handed review. Thanks.
[/quote]

Thanks kindly. I aim to please...and posting on any thread in the Amps section can be an inflammatory business, sometimes.

I think Alex is doing outstanding work in engineering cabs with high performance/low distortion at loud SPL, excellent dispersion, etc, and the products are worth supporting. His aesthetic is not what I prefer, but that is very much a personal choice.

For me, it looks like my ears prefer cabinets which have good enough (but not outstanding) drivers, are loud in the mids, have less bass (but enough), and distort/add character as the volumes increase - i.e. pretty typical bass guitar cabinets.

(I had forgotten to say in all my reviews I did try out an Audiokinesis TC112AF as well, which had absolutely astonishing low end wallop, but again was too polite for me, and even driven hard had marked limits to SPL achieved. Both my drummer and I preferred the voicing of the CN112 cabs and the 'hair' they added.)

Is it too inflammatory to say that, after years of researching and trying out gear, I still think the player makes the most difference to the sound in the room? :ph34r: :D

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1431969611' post='2776764']

Is it too inflammatory to say that, after years of researching and trying out gear, I still think the player makes the most difference to the sound in the room? :ph34r: :D
[/quote]

Yes, it is completely off to say it's the player...it makes the whole thread pointless :)

Great couple of posts.