Why become a member? ×

Struggling finding a new band

Weststarx

Hi All,

I'm on the hunt for a new band but I am really struggling to find one.

I've put ads on all the website I can think of but the general reponses are either: the person comes across like a moron or are reponses from those people who have decided exactly what label to give themselves like 'post pre modern gothic christian hardcore jazz metal band'. Those type of Ads leave me feeling like I'm completely clueless about music as I have absolutely no idea what the bloody hell they are on about!

The thing I usually include in my ads are:

- Experience
- Gear
- That gigging is essential

Do you guys think that something like a video collage of me playing a load of random tracks would be a good idea to?

Going to a few jam nights soon so hopefully that brings something.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1428929528' post='2745998']
'post pre modern gothic christian hardcore jazz metal band'
[/quote]

I'm in... can you forward on the details?

I guess it depends where you live. I periodically put up ads on gumtree when a project comes to an end and I have the time for something new. But I'm in London... where there isn't exactlly a shortage of people looking to form new bands.

I find it's important to state what you are looking for, as in I always put "looking for new projects only, no covers or established bands" I always put this otherwise you end up inundated with requests from bands who want you to play exactly what their last bass player played... even if it's sh*t....

How you find bands is so much a function of who you are and where you are that no one here will actually be able to help much without knowing either of those things about you. :)

If you picked up a bass in 1974 and have been playing pub gigs in London for 40 years then that's one thing. If you left music college last year and now live in Truro, well that's quite another thang.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1428930577' post='2746016']
If you picked up a bass in 1974 and have been playing pub gigs in London for 40 years then that's one thing. If you left music college last year and now live in Truro, well that's quite another thang.
[/quote]

I picked up a bass in 1974, etc etc... but I'm thinking I'd rather have left music college last year and live in Truro... :lol:

Well, I first picked up a bass in 1974 as well, and did live in London many years ago but have never been to music college or Truro...but I found my current band on 'Join My Band'. Since then I have had several offers, some of them concerning other bands, from people who seem to have heard of me somehow. Try open mics etc, they're usually populated by musos looking for bands.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1428934637' post='2746081']
I'd rather not have left music college!
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1428936614' post='2746107']
Because you'd have had to move to Truro?
[/quote]

:P No, because I loved it, and would quite happily have done another three years straight away!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1428938557' post='2746147']
Set up a page on BandMix - you can post pics, audio and video (as well as listing 'influences' - which always seems pointless to me!)

See link below.
[/quote]

I'm heavily influenced by bagpipe music. it's given me a very clear idea of the sort of sounds I wish to avoid in my music :P

I feel the OP's pain. Usually its a bunch of cut and paste originals who think theyre gonna be the next big thing. Everytime I have the misfortune of seeking a new band I really wonder about giving up and concentrating on home recording. Cue observations about me playing with myself in the spare bedroom.

...the person comes across like a moron or are reponses from those people who have decided exactly what label to give themselves like 'post pre modern gothic christian hardcore jazz metal band'. Those type of Ads leave me feeling like I'm completely clueless about music as I have absolutely no idea what the bloody hell they are on about!

[/quote]

If I were you, I'd stop deciding the band isn't for you before you've even met them !

Meet up with them/go to the audition, and then see. At the very least you'll have met some people who know you're on the lookout for a band, and even if you don't decide to continue playing with them, you might have your phone no. passed on to someone who does. Hey, you may even make some new friends ! Both have happened to me more than once.

Writing band ads is always awkward - a "post pre modern gothic christian hardcore jazz metal band" might just turn out to be the band you're after, with people who are more on your wavelength than you think

YMMV but I'd say turn up, turn it up, have some fun and then decide.

Edited by ahpook

Going to a few jam nights soon so hopefully that brings something.
[/quote]

One of the bands I'm in was through an ad on joinmyband, really lucky how it's worked out.

The other is a group of random people who got together about once a month in a rehearsal room and jammed. Got asked if we'd play support for a local band and we've just had our 3rd gig and have 3 more in the next few months including the offer of a regular spot at one place.

Just random good luck - keep you chin up and find something that might work. If you wait until the perfect thing comes along then you'll probably be waiting a long time!