Why become a member? ×

When you realise you can no longer play a Precision neck...

cameltoe

Well, it happened to me last week.

After years of playing P basses, even ones with 1.75" nut width, the lightbulb moment came. I knew it was there, lingering, but I had so far refused to give in.

Playing P basses has become more and more of a struggle in the last couple of years, coupled with a bit of pain if I'm honest. This led to me having the neck of my Roadworn P bass slightly slimmed to standard P width (1.625"), which helped a bit, but the neck still felt wide up around the 5th fret and onwards.

My JV precision neck, which I went to the ends of the earth (slight exaggeration, but it felt like it) to repair once the truss rod snapped, feels chunkier than the RW, more 'meat' front to back, and as such has sat in a case for the last couple of months unplayed. It's a fantastic bass.

When the RW still had the standard neck profile, I used to exercise my hands everyday- scales scales scales, finger exercise machine, all sorts. I could just about live with it then, although I had the time to pick up the bass for an hour everyday, which helped. It still felt tough to play certain baselines, especially live.

Now I've admitted defeat, I have to say, I'm relieved. I'd always convinced myself Jazz necks felt too skinny for me. They don't anymore. They feel soooo much easier. Everything is coming easier, even my right hand technique, which is weird.

I had wondered whether a neck in between a P and a J would be the way to go, like my old Silver Series (40mm nut) but now I've had a bit of time with a J neck, I think I need to go the whole hog.

I am still a P bass man through and through, so it looks like it will be frankenfenders from now on, until I can afford that custom shop…..

To the OP. You might want to look at the Japan crafted Fender Ps and Js, the necks are thinner than those made in the USA and certainly thinner than those huge necks on the MIM models.

I think I am unlike most bass players when it comes to these issues with Fender Ps & Js. I have 2 precision basses with thin necks I gig with from time to time, however I am not hardwired to any body style or sound.

I am older , not to the point where I have issues with the weight or width of a neck. It might happen one day, but not yet. Hell if I was having those issues I could never play my Gibson LP Gold Top bass. You can imagine how much all that mahogany weighs and not the thinnest neck either..

If most of you guys picked up my German made Hofner Club bass it's so light it could easily float out of your hands.

Blue

Edited by blue

Small hands here - and I have also recently noticed how much easier narrow necks (width is the issue, I like baseball bat profile) are in my increasing years. I enjoy my G&L SB1 which I have had for 24/25 yrs but narrow necks are now my choice.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426537705' post='2719130']
To the OP. You might want to look at the Japan crafted Fender Ps and Js, the necks are thinner than those made in the USA and certainly thinner than those huge necks on the MIM models.

Blue
[/quote]

Have had a couple of MIJ's, and they did feel good to begin with, however now even they feel too chunky.

Sold a pretty good USA a few years back, couldn't understand why I didn't like it at the time, looking back it may have been the neck.

Love them as basses and played them for years and years, but now I get finger pain playing the precision.
can play the Rick all night and then again, but soon as I try the precision, half a dozen songs and my fingers start getting sensitive.
Think it is more to do with Neck taper, moving hand and finger positions up and down the neck where the Rick is just a neck, virtually same profile up and down.

Really pains me as well as I love precisions.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1426549442' post='2719322']
Is it maybe a technique issue ?

Lighter gauge strings ?

Lower action ?
[/quote]

+1 on this might be worth having a look at the technique, Your fretting hand should be relaxed, wrist should be straight, if your fretting in the right place then the pressure on the fret board should be very low almost zero. You could be aggravating an injury by practicing scales every day, have a break for 5 days. Having said all that nothing wrong with slotting a jazz neck onto one of your 'cisions its a common thing to do and is reversible should you want to sell. Those warmouth necks fit like a glove.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1426578554' post='2719388']
It's more of a short fingers issue.
[/quote]

Where do you position your thumb when you're playing ?

There are a couple of older guys that I'm teaching at the moment. Both were holding the bass like it was a baseball bat, almost like they were afraid to let it go. The one guy was playing with just one finger too, sliding up and down the neck.

I apologise if you're already using good playing technique, but an awful lot of people assume that because they've been playing a particular way for ages, then it's fine.

Your thumb should be around the middle of then neck, maybe running along the stripe that you get on Fender type basses. You should just pivot off that.

[attachment=186731:Photo on 17-03-2015 at 12.11.jpg]

I am in a similar position - I love Precision basses but prefer skinny necks. I have tried several options.

My best and favourite Precision at the moment is an 80s MIJ Squier, medium scale with a 38mm nut width. Superb bass. For me and what I need from a Precision it is the nicest I have played.

The MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special basses are Precision bodies with Jazz width necks and P/J pickups. Power Jazz Bass Special have active onboard eq. They are really nice basses that, for some reason, are still quite low in price to buy considering the quality. Usually under £400. I'm on my second one! Had a white one, sold it, missed it, now have a black one.

There has to be a lot to be said for making a bitsa. I had a MIJ Black P body, mighty Mite Jazz maple neck, Fender Original pickup and it was brilliant. Just not quite as good as the Squier which, when it arrived, immediately usurped it.

Fender Precision Lyte basses have *really* skinny necks, both narrow and shallow. But they don't sound exactly like Precision basses to me. At least mine doesn't.

If it doesn't have to have Fender on the headstock how about a yamaha? I am a new convert - just got a BB414 and that does an acceptable Precision sound using the P type pickup together wit a narrow neck.

Or, another idea, how about a Mustang? If you can play Short Scale they have narrow necks. Sound big and old school, though not exactly like a Precision.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1426594843' post='2719600']

Where do you position your thumb when you're playing ?

There are a couple of older guys that I'm teaching at the moment. Both were holding the bass like it was a baseball bat, almost like they were afraid to let it go. The one guy was playing with just one finger too, sliding up and down the neck.

I apologise if you're already using good playing technique, but an awful lot of people assume that because they've been playing a particular way for ages, then it's fine.

Your thumb should be around the middle of then neck, maybe running along the stripe that you get on Fender type basses. You should just pivot off that.

[attachment=186731:Photo on 17-03-2015 at 12.11.jpg]
[/quote]

That's kind of how I do it. I keep my hand very flat to the board, don't twist my wrist like some players do. Just find it a struggle.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1426536699' post='2719098'

Playing P basses has become more and more of a struggle in the last couple of years, coupled with a bit of pain if I'm honest. This led to me having the neck of my Roadworn P bass slightly slimmed to standard P width (1.625"), which helped a bit, but the neck still felt wide [u][b]up around the 5th fret and onwards.[/b][/u]

[/quote]

That's where the problem is. Stop it. You are playing bass.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1426602913' post='2719742']
That's where the problem is. Stop it. You are playing bass.
[/quote]

That's what I was going to say! Lol

I know what you mean OP
Older P's just feel too chunky to me
In fact, they've felt that way a while

It even put me off Fenders altogether
As I too had thought J necks were a little too slim....

What amazes me, is how different individual necks can seem
I've got 2 Fender Jazzes, one Roadworn, and a US 72 re-issue
The RW, apart from being an exceptional bass, has what I consider the most comfortable neck ever
My '72 re-issue has a slightly slimmer neck
Although it's actually only a slight difference, it doesn't feel quite as comfy

I had a 90's Jazz at one point too
The neck on this was nice - a bit chunkier than my RW, and not as chunky as a P bass

I'd say try a few different models
The Classic Vibe Squier P is an amazing bass for the money
and the neck is brilliant - about the same as my RW Jazz

Good luck, and enjoy your search :)