Why become a member? ×

Why do I want this? Am I crazy?

Mike

If the signature is above the clear-coat it's two minutes with a soft brillo-pad away from being a lovely looking bass.

£260 for a custom colour with matching head-stock is a bit steep for me but then I was too cheap to buy a new Am Std anyway & waited until a suitable one came up second hand. Depends how much you like the colour I guess - if you can settle for one of the standard ones just buy a second hand one on here and save 50% of the cash.

Edited by Lw.

a quick scan of the fender website and a google search and i can't find anything remotely similar except for a proper vintage one (i think this is modelled on a 64 Jazz) i'm not usually a fan of signature basses and i'm not U2's biggest fan but the combination of colour, blocks and tuners is very good to my eyes, luckily i discovered a while ago that i don't really like Jazz basses.

Matt

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]a quick scan of the fender website and a google search and i can't find anything remotely similar except for a proper vintage one (i think this is modelled on a 64 Jazz)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

you could just ask limelight to build you one that is probably better to play for about £800-£1000 and then not lose £6-700 in devaluation after buying a new fender.....

or you could probably specify a Custom Shop build for a few hundred quid more and it'll probably hold value far better because it is then a Custom Shop

Some great posts here. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. I think on reflection it was a moment of madness. I'll keep an eye for a second hand one but I appreciate everyone's input!

Regards

Mike

If only his bloody signature wasn't scrawled all over the headstock! Why can't they put them on the back? I love the way this bass looks but I couldn't play it out in case people thought I liked U2.

EDIT: And if I was going to have an Adam Clayton sig model, it would this one...

Edited by happynoj

I think your bass is a very personal thing and having someone else's name printed on it wouldn't work for me.
Also I think that Warwick is fugging ugly, and by the look of it is a Warwick shaped P?
Also pt.II, I'm not sure who the biggest endorsement whore is, Clayton or King? Do I recall MK liking Fender for as long as it took his signature to dry way back?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426537681' post='2719129']

I like this!! In a strange and pervy way, though... my favourite colour combo and the first Warwick I've ever seen with a pickguard... :gas:
[/quote]
2nd warwick i like the look of, ever!
1st was a spangley fortress flashback.
I feel a bit odd, going for a lie down & listen to some U2 ;-).

I like Mr Clayton, nothing fancy, certainly no virtuoso but does a job for the band. None of U2 could really play when they got success. Seems pretty grounded when interviewed not up himself. Not going to buy his sig bass but not going to slag him either. Good luck to him, I'd have taken Naomi Campbell out on the town if she'd of asked me too! ;-)

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1426587249' post='2719480']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I like Mr Clayton, nothing fancy, certainly no virtuoso but does a job for the band... [/font][/color]I'd have taken Naomi Campbell out on the town if she'd of asked me too!
[/quote]

I have no beef with Mr Clayton, either - 'virtuoso' bass players leave me cold. It's how they play with a good drummer that counts. Less is more. And I would have stepped out with La Campbell too, but I'd probably have worn a crash helmet as a precaution.

Or at least a cycle helmet. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

Difficult to say what's more cynical:
[list]
[*]AC's variety of endorsed models or,
[*]Warwick's outragoues using up of John Entwistle Buzzard/Explorer parts in a supposed separate model?
[/list]

Edited by visog

I'm all for fender jazz basses, but are these signature models american basses?
Sure I know thats a snobby opinion but it's why I could bring myself to by the road worn bass i dearly wanted, I wasn't never gonna pay that money for a Mexican fender. An American option would have had me running to the cash machine.

I know there are plenty of good non usa fenders out there, but I just likes me fenders american and me birds with curves.
I knows what I likes....

Nice colours though, would look sweet worn.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1426529064' post='2718965']
you could just ask limelight to build you one that is probably better to play for about £800-£1000 and then not lose £6-700 in devaluation after buying a new fender.....

or you could probably specify a Custom Shop build for a few hundred quid more and it'll probably hold value far better because it is then a Custom Shop
[/quote]

Thanks for this - am now slightly obsessed about Limelight basses and am about to compose an email. Cheers!

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1426775947' post='2721815']
Thanks for this - am now slightly obsessed about Limelight basses and am about to compose an email. Cheers!
[/quote]

Limelight won't build you an unreliced bass as it requires a higher standard of finish. I wanted a custom jazz and that is what I was told...

I ordered one from Peterbuilt in the end.