Why become a member? ×

Using an all valve guitar head for bass?

Jenny_Innie

Basically, can I do it?

Can I use a 100 watt all valve guitar head to gig with?

It has switchable 4 ohm, 8 ohm and 16 Ohm outs - and I have a couple of Barefaced cabs?

Should be alright shouldn't it?

Someone I know has a spare one that I can have and I think it looks cool.

I can give it a try at a low key gig in a couple of weeks.

Would there be a downside?

It'll work and it shouldn't break anything as long as the impedance isn't grossly mismatched, though some guitar amps will sound better for bass than others. Some guitar amps use small output transformers which limit the headroom at bass frequencies, and higher gain preamps often have a lot of low-end roll-off built in to stop the overdrive from sounding mushy. I'd say give it a go, and you'll either like it or not.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424636878' post='2698648']
Short answer, yes. :) Downside is carrying it. Make sure your cabs are connected before you switch it on.
[/quote]

Listen to live recordings of Free, The Who, Deep Purple, Cream, Mountain but to name a few. Seem to have a reasonable bass tone :)

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1424637023' post='2698650']
I recorded bass with a 50watt Laney valve head. Sounded like thunder! I doubt whether it would cut it live in a decent sized venue, mind.
[/quote]

Well I don't know...
I had a 100W all-valve and I could never get the master above 9 o'clock - this in a rock band with the usual racket-makers.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1424638885' post='2698674']
Listen to live recordings of Free, The Who, Deep Purple, Cream, Mountain but to name a few. Seem to have a reasonable bass tone :)
[/quote]

Yeah, but they're all pensioners, aren't they..? What would [i]they [/i]know..? :P

At the very start of my bass playing - Vox AC50. More than adequate against the Marshall 100W and 4 x 12 guitarists in the early 70s. The days of the 100W pa in pub, club bands. In my later youth my Hiwatt Dr103 seemed pretty damned good. Then I got the Hiwatt 200W model, more goodness. In a more recent (older, not wiser) incarnation I dabbled with the Marshall VBA 400 into a Barefaced Dubster. I used this in my workplace (school hall) for rehearsals. It was possible to get the walls and concrete floor to move, feeling the concrete slab move with bass was an odd sensation.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424643328' post='2698758']
Yeah, but they're all pensioners, aren't they..? What would [i]they [/i]know..? :P
[/quote]

Me too, I got my pension last year. I was 55 ! result. Next I will realise my youth ambition to be a RnR star lol. The Mywatt 200 for sale on here looks mighty tempting. But what would a pensioner know :)

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1424636617' post='2698641']
Basically, can I do it?

Can I use a 100 watt all valve guitar head to gig with?

It has switchable 4 ohm, 8 ohm and 16 Ohm outs - and I have a couple of Barefaced cabs?

Should be alright shouldn't it?

Someone I know has a spare one that I can have and I think it looks cool.

I can give it a try at a low key gig in a couple of weeks.

Would there be a downside?
[/quote]

Yes, I've been told that the guts are pretty much the same for valve amps.

If it's an old valve head from the 1970s, then chances are it was designed for use as either a lead guitar or bass guitar amp. I use a Sound City 120, which can be used as either. The only differences between different models was the occasional inclusion of a spring reverb or an effects loop. When I was student my amp was a Simms Watts AP120 - the AP stood for "all purpose", since it could handle everything including keyboards. The Simms Watts PA100 only differed in that it had more inputs.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424659145' post='2698896']
This is our bass amp, a Hiwatt DR205, 200w PA head. 'Old school', but then again, I'm old. Most valve amps are fine for bass (except the Peavey Windsor we tested. No good, at least for us...).

[/quote]

Here's my bass amp -

There are no downsides, as long as you connect the cab correctly before you switch on, ensure the ohms of your cab match the selector on the back and let the valves warm up at the beginning before you play and cool down at the end before you move the amp. All standard valve amp stuff.

Back in the day, clutching a cheque from the management company, I had the run of the Marshall shop in Ealing Broadway.

I walked away with the Super 100 Lead guitar amp. IMO it sounded punchier through my Marshall 412 cab.

Cabs back then weren't the best so the amp had to provide all the definition for them.

1) Check your impedances are ok for the amp - if in doubt email Barefaced, they are very good.
2)Some valve amps aren't designed for bass, the preamp (tone control front end) is the key to this,
any competent amptech should be able to tell you/do a mod - it's usually only a couple of cheap
bits to add/remove.....
3)Do it !

:)

Edited by taunton-hobbit