Why become a member? ×

Noel on Kaiser Chiefs

Nicko

Do you reckon Noel Gallagher got it just about right?

“I did drugs for 18 years and I never got that bad as to say, ‘You know what? I think the Kaiser Chiefs are brilliant.’”

I saw them live when they supported Green Day and they were OK as a show, but their music kinda sucks. I think Simon Rix plays some pretty good lines but I still dont want to listed to them.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1424080609' post='2692218']
I was never a massive fan of their stuff, but I worked on a few of their shows and they are amongst the most energetic live acts around.
Sometimes it's nice to see a band that actually work for their ticket money rather than just standing there.
[/quote]

+1. Been dragged to both live. There are few less inspiring gigs than Oasis.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1424080609' post='2692218']
I was never a massive fan of their stuff, but I worked on a few of their shows and they are amongst the most energetic live acts around.

Sometimes it's nice to see a band that actually work for their ticket money rather than just standing there.
[/quote]

I'd certainly agree they were energetic but first and foremost their "job" is to create music that fans want to go to see played. Everything else is packaging.

Saw them a year or two back in a relatively small venue, excellent live show and a thoroughly entertaining night out. Suffered from 'cracking first album syndrome' along with likes of Killers and Franz Ferdinand who were popular around same time and who also struggled to keep up the level on subsequent releases.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1424081924' post='2692253']
Saw them a year or two back in a relatively small venue, excellent live show and a thoroughly entertaining night out. Suffered from 'cracking first album syndrome' along with likes of Killers and Franz Ferdinand who were popular around same time and who also struggled to keep up the level on subsequent releases.
[/quote]

I really dont think you can compare Kaiser Chiefs with the Killers in terms of musical output. I think theres a couple of good tracks on Employment, but frankly I cant listen to the whole thing. Bear in mind that Sawdust is supposed to be a collection of B sides and its got some fantrastic stuff on it.

I don't really see the point in slagging off another band, one man's meat and all that, any band that's sold a few records must have some people that like their music, we supported a Kasabian tribute band at the weekend, not my cup of tea at all but some folk liked them

There was a time when Noel (and Liam)'s comments about other bands were funny. Maybe. I certainly enjoyed some of their scuffles with Blur.

But now they're irrelevant "has beens" - certainly to younger audiences - and it just comes across as being desperate for attention.

It's time for Noel to hang up his guitar, buy an organic cheese farm and invite David Cameron over for tipples on New Year's Eve :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1424083698' post='2692286']
It's time for Noel to hang up his guitar, buy an organic cheese farm and invite David Cameron over for tipples on New Year's Eve :D
[/quote]

I think Noel's just got to the point where he's using the tactic of taking a bash at other artistes to deflect from the fact that his output is now pretty mediocre. I believe he sees himself as timeless as Mr Weller - unfortunately I think his best years are behind him. Shame, I quite liked Definitely Maybe.....

I'm not a huge fan of either, but I'd rate the Kaiser Chiefs much more highly than Oasis. They've just got a bit more wit about their lyrics, some decent tunes and they don't appear to take themselves overly seriously.
I'm sure Oasis fans hear something in it that I'm missing, but I've never been able to associate Oasis with anything other than lowest common demoninator plodding mediocrity.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1424091268' post='2692433']
I'm sure multi million selling, multi millionaire, wrote a couple of classic songs Noel Gallagher would be sad if he read your comments!
[/quote]

That would be why I said "I'm sure Oasis fans hear something in it that I'm missing". I'm well aware that he's done very well for himself and lots of people love Oasis, even if I'm not quite feeling that myself. Anyway, I've a feeling the man wouldn't be bothered and would probably rip the p*ss out of my music in a most colourful manner. He does give an entertaining interview!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1424091987' post='2692448']
That would be why I said "I'm sure Oasis fans hear something in it that I'm missing". I'm well aware that he's done very well for himself and lots of people love Oasis, even if I'm not quite feeling that myself. Anyway, I've a feeling the man wouldn't be bothered and would probably rip the p*ss out of my music in a most colourful manner. He does give an entertaining interview!
[/quote]I'm not an Oasis fan, he does give good interview though!

I thought the Kaisers were good fun in a one-trick-pony sort of a way, Oasis on the other hand were never more than turgid, derivative, one-dimensional bores, and I found their popularity at the time quite incomprehensible.

Noel's good value for money in interviews & never seems to take himself too seriously - I've always though that's because he appreciates that as a musician/writer he's a below-average chancer who just got very, very lucky. Good luck to him, really.

Liam on the other hand has always seemed like a nasty, dimwitted little w****** who would've ended up in prison if he'd not been in a band. Not sure which would've been preferable.

Jon.

I've never really felt the Oasis love, although they have done some good (classic?) stuff, I thought the majority of it was very samey and I can't stand Liam. Noel comes across as so much less of a twat than his brother - I bet Liam has a big pedestal in his hallway that he stands on all day, just so he can lord it over everyone.

Noel was on R2 a few weeks back and to be fair, he managed to be entertaining without being nobby. Opinionated, of course, but with the bs turned off, presumably for the benefit of the Radio 2 audience. He just can't resist having a pop though, can he? Very tedious.

Quite like the Kaiser Chefs :) though Employment is my only purchase to date. They seem like a band that can have a laugh, and I like that. Never got that from Oasis, like never.