Why become a member? ×

Brand snobbery

Guest MoJo

It depends how critical the environment is and whether you adhere that.
A bass may be comfortable and work great upto the 9th fret and if passes
the test on the dates that you do, you'll use it but if you are in an ever changing
and fast moving environment and the score asks you to hold a high sustained note
then you better have a bass that can do it. This is why people have better built basses
as they are typically better at doing that.

Looking at a few student basses...that they gig, their basses aren't typically set-up well
as far as I'm concerned, but then I don't have to or want to play them either. They, presumably,
think they are fine on their gigs.

In my 1st spell of playing, in the early 80's (before my 25 year absence!)
There was a general feeling or ethos that you either played a Fender, Gibson or Rickenbacker
.... or you played rubbish copies

During this time, in any music shop you heard the derogatory term "Jap Cr@p" banded about
to refer to anything that wasn't a "major brand"

This may have been partly true - as there were an awful lot of terrible guitars about back then
But some of the stuff coming out of Japan in particular was brilliant
The musical snobs thought otherwise, of course
But I can recall many incidents of them dissing Squiers as awful, cheap copies
and wondering what Fender were doing, allowing this rubbish to be associated with the Fender brand....

Those early Japan Squiers are now highly collectible, and prized for their superb build quality

I had a Japan-built Rick copy bass, marketed as a Shaftesbury, which was just a stunning instrument
of the highest build quality, and produced a stunning sound

Nowadays, the quality of so called "lesser brands" is of an incredibly high standard
Particularly the Indonesian Squier Vintage Modified series, and the China made Classic Vibe series are awesome

You'd think that the brand snobs would have learned their lesson with the Japan Squiers
...... but maybe that's expecting too much of them?

Most of us would never watch a band thinking "my amp is better than his"
or "his bass is just a copy of mine....." Don't concern yourself about those who are so petty, that's all they can do
If you're happy and comfortable with your bass, and the sound you get
and if the band are happy with your sound - then keep it that way

If anyone questions you about it - just say your backup bass is a Fender / Rick / Gibson / MM / whatever
...... but it has let you down - so you left it homer and decided to stick with your more reliable instrument ;)

I've never experienced brand snobbery in terms of gear, but it makes me smile when people come up after gigs and want to discuss what you're playing through. I like my gear there's nothing special about it and its readily available; the bit that's often over looked is the many years of practice and a real interest in music and life that contributes to the sound I make.

I smile less on the subject of musical snobbery - the notion that one genre is in some way better than another is pathetic.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1423489001' post='2685370']
Dear Mojo,( the OP ), my main gigging bass is the Yamaha BB414 I bought from you for £150 last year, because compared to a German Warwick Corvette and a Dimarzio puped Fender Jazz, it absolutely wipes the floor with them for getting the perfect sound for my band, sits perfectly with the two different guitarists sound, powerful, defined,punchy. I keep trying to gig my more expensive basses, but for this band, they're simply not as good as the cheapy. Luckily my band don't have any gear snobs, we just play what sounds good for the band. Play what you like!
[/quote]

I still have a BB414. I don't think I'd be without one. I currently use it for my rock covers band and have it tuned down half a step. The Samick gets used in the 'other' covers band and is tuned to concert pitch. It saves me tuning the Yam up and down and up and.......so on :lol:

It's good to hear that you've still got yours and it's serving you well.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1423598252' post='2686921']
Origins of the word [i]Brand [/i]= "[i]A method of burning a distinctive symbol into the skin of animals to differentiate between one persons cattle and another's[/i]."

Be careful of the brand that you choose allegiance to....you wear it.

The things that you own own you.
[/quote]

Which brand are your socks? How allied to them are you? Do they own you? ;)

My main gigging bass is an old left handed Westone Thunder 1A bought for £80. Not once has any of my band members commented on it, apart from 'sounding good Forbez.'. I have a lovely old AriaPro2 SB600 setneck bought for £150. Again no problems. Punters don't seem to notice my bass choices. Our lead guitarist does have a bit of hate for all American made guitars though as he's an Ibanez fan. I will rock any lefty old bass so long as it stays in tune and sounds good!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1423790115' post='2689186']
I've come across more string snobbery- no one has insisted I play X brand, but some have insisted I don't turn up with more than four strings.
[/quote]

Yes, what IS that? The thinking seems to be that if you have a 5-string bass you're somehow going to play too many notes and what's worse, probably not shut up, stand at the back and play roots and fifths like I want you to so that my great guitar skilz can come to the fore, thanks very much please.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1423790115' post='2689186']
I've come across more string snobbery- no one has insisted I play X brand, but some have insisted I don't turn up with more than four strings.
[/quote]

If someone made that request to me, I'd be turning up with my Atlansia Solitaire 1-string bass, and the Fernandes PIE-ZO very short scale travel bass with built-in amp and speaker and Hello Kitty graphics.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423790815' post='2689190']
Yes, what IS that? The thinking seems to be that if you have a 5-string bass you're somehow going to play too many notes and what's worse, probably not shut up, stand at the back and play roots and fifths like I want you to so that my great guitar skilz can come to the fore, thanks very much please.
[/quote]

I've had this a few times...

Fortunately I find it very easy to ignore other peoples opinions so it doesnt really bother me. Those that really cared about how many strings my bass has would have to kick me out of the band as I certainly wouldn't be letting anyone dictate what instrument I play... this hasn't happened yet.

...well not for the strings thing anyway. I was recently disposed of for being too jazz... :mellow: whatever that means... I was also recently turned down for being 'too white' which is true to be honest as I would have looked pretty silly in that band and not really fitted thier image... they were damn good though with loads of room for interesting bass... shame...

Edited by CamdenRob

[/quote]

Yes...you've only got yourself to blame for being exposed to such idiots :lol: :lol:

[/quote]

Yes, what IS that? The thinking seems to be that if you have a 5-string bass you're somehow going to play too many notes and what's worse, probably not shut up ...
[/quote]
Funny really, because I've never had anyone suggest any of that to me - probably because I always play four strings.

... stand at the back and play roots and fifths like I want you to so that my great guitar skilz can come to the fore, thanks very much please.
[/quote]
Ah that's what it is, they think a four-stringer can only play roots and fifths and they were wanting a proper real bassist.

[/quote]

But there are gtrs out there that actually think this... you don't have to look far to know who they are, IME.

Just seen a band - it was their first time out and sounded pretty good - rough and raucous blues/rock & roll hybrid (not RnB), but the guitarist was playing a very pretty PRS, and it just looked completely wrong to me - I felt he should have had a Gretsch, Les Paul Junior or something else more in keeping with how they sounded.

I sometimes take my Peavey BXP in place of my PB just so that people don't have such high expectations of my playing.

The gtr in my band has a crappy old chinese (I think) Les Paul copy. It actually sounds OK tbh, but hes gone to the trouble of adding extra bits to the headstock and putting a Gibson logo on it. If I ever get to that level of brand snobbery please shoot me.