Why become a member? ×

Big stages

ubit

We played last night, at the annual dance for the A.A. and it was in our large town hall, which has a really big stage. We have played in this venue a good few times over the years and I've come to the conclusion that I really don't enjoy these big events. I much prefer playing a smaller venue where we can use our own PA and have much more control of the sound. Also I like being close to the audience.
I know I've moaned in past threads about handling drunks who are in your face, but I think sometimes that's what makes it more rock n roll. This being miles away and elevated so high above everyone makes you much more detached. The amount of room is a bit disconcerting too, which is maybe just because I haven't developed my stage moves sufficiently yet.
I think maybe it's just a bit out of my comfort zone.
I would love to hear other opinions on larger stages and what your experiences/ preferences are. :)

I love a big stage me!! We played at a theatre last night and what I find refreshing is that you aren't constantly worried about drunk punters damaging your kit :lol:

Next week we are playing a social club which has a small stage only 2 feet off the ground and we won't all fit on it! So I'll be less relaxed about my kit then ;)

The big question is which AA? Automobile Association or Alcoholics Anonymous? At least with the latter you wouldn't have had to worry about drunk punters regardless :lol:

It was the alcoholic variety of AA, which gives for an interesting evening. They get up and dance right away, tend to avoid slow dances, then start to wander off after the raffle, which is the EXACT opposite of a normal function night, when no one will get onto the dance floor until they are well oiled, but then , when you are winding down, won't let you leave!

Yes I agree, it's great to have your gear safe, it's just the remoteness of being so far away and high above the throbbing masses that leaves me cold. Maybe it's just that we don't do big stages that often. We certainly did have a great stage sound.

Digressing a bit, there was a thread recently about the worst thing that has happened to you onstage. I had one of those moments last night when I picked up the bass tuned to standard for our opening number, then realised the rest of the band were playing in E flat tuning. I'm also the singist, so had to mumble my way through whilst wanting the ground to open up.
To the credit of the alcohol free audience, they danced away merrily. We quickly saved ourselves by playing the rest of the set in the proper tuning ( makes a big difference by the way ) so it turned into a good night, just missing the feeling you get playing a dance at floor level.

I've played a handful of gigs on large stages (those dome thingys). I much prefer the close quarters with the punters and the rest of the band. Although the sound is usually great on the big stages it always seems a bit impersonal and a bit lonely being 15 ft away from the nearest person.

I prefer a larger stage and definietly a barrier between the audience and the band.
How large depends on the monitoring and we tend to take up enough room but don't
want to be too spread out where the band is disconnected and more to the point, looks it.

I'd far rather these gigs that squeezing in a corner...so much so, that unless I have room
to move a few steps each way, we wont be doing the gig again.
When we gig in halls, marquees or where the stage needs to be built, we specify 24x16ft

I'm quite at home on a big one (stage, that is) - have fond memories of doing the Kings Hall at Herne Bay (Kent), before they sub-divided it, the stage was huge and about eight feet up - we had a fight break out 'down there' and watched it travel like a seawave up and down the hall......The lighting guy used a Lime Flood on me for one show (the place had a 'proper' lighting gallery & control room - shame about the House sound, really) - amazing experience - Taggs Island was another biggie - the auditorium had a dome roof which we lit with the world's first prototype sound to light system....I love big stages!

:)

I have just started playing on bigger stages and I got stage fright the first time!

I am still getting used to it, it definately takes time to fill the void but I think once I have the knack I will prefer it.

Anyone else got stage fright on a big stage and what did you do?

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1423420317' post='2684571']

[/quote]

I tend to bite my lip and close my eyes for a few seconds and tell my head I'm playing at home!

I had a moment yesterday. As this theatre was so important to me when I was younger I made it a big deal in my head.

The first song was fine, the second song, just as I was about to come into the big bass entrance my hands started to shake. I followed my above tip and was fine and dandy :D

Our guitarist is hilarious, he gets really bad stage fright... About 15 mins before he announces he can't play, we tell him he can, we almost have to force him on stage and then he is brilliant.

So long as someone else runs the PA I don't mind them. Running your own PA from a big stage is a nightmare. The position of monitors, mains and backline have such a big effect on the stage.

Running a PA from the floor of a big venue is completely different.

Performancewise, it's a case of using the space. Not necessarily busting big moves but walking around a bit and making yourself look 'big'. Having a bit more of a 'here I am, look at me' attitude rather than standing in front of the bass stack tapping your foot and nodding while gazing at your frets.

I don't mind either. I do quite like big stages though.

Edited by TimR

I don't mind a big stage as long as we can fill it with PA, monitors, enough band members and tons of lights. I've done a couple of biggies (20mtrs +) in a trio and part of me feels obliged to spread us out a little to make it more visually correct but the trade off is that I lose a little contact with the others.

So, I think I'm always happiest trying to read the drummers thoughts (and preempt his next push or fill) from 2 ft away.

I like big stages from a performance point of view, and also from a space and setup point of view, but I hate them when the sound isn't good, as you are so spread out, if the sound guy and monitor mix aren't bob on, you have a really strange sound to fight with...

One of the bigger stages we have played, the sound was really bad onstage, and it kind of spoilt it for us. Looked cool, and loads of room to move, but such a weird onstage sound, just bad monitor mixing :(

I think medium stages are the way to go ;)

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1423420317' post='2684571']
[/quote]

luckily whenever i'm doing big stages (up to 12,000 people) its with a bon jovi tribute band

so i get to hide behind a pair of sunglasses honestly i don't know if i could do that gig without them theres just something comforting about the audience not knowing who you're looking at

My band is a bar band, however in the Summer we play several festivals and fairs usually big headliner type stages.

For me, I guess I'm like the OP, my experience and comfort level is bars and clubs. I have never been comfortable on big stages with big sound and lights. Could be merely an experience issue. My response, maybe me an the OP need more time on the big stages.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1423437251' post='2684875']
My band is a bar band, however in the Summer we play several festivals and fairs usually big headliner type stages.

For me, I guess I'm like the OP, my experience and comfort level is bars and clubs. I have never been comfortable on big stages with big sound and lights. Could be merely an experience issue. My response, maybe me an the OP need more time on the big stages.

Blue
[/quote]

I think you're right Blue, although we have played quite a few times on a big stage over the years, our usual is pubs either at floor level or on a small stage. It's probably just a comfort zone thing.
I think my favourite gig is floor level in a big room, where you have room to move, yet still maintain that level of intimacy with the audience

My usual domain is the pub/club circuit BUT I've played at Sheffield Arena (pre/interval entertainment for an Ice Hockey game) on approx half the main auditorium stage - what an experience! Wish I do gigs like that every night!

Whilst I agree it was odd being detached from the crowd, it just served to make me work harder to try and entertain/include them. The away fans were brilliant and really got into it.

Edited by DaytonaRik

That's it really, it just needs an adjustment of attitude. On a big stage you are really much more 'on show' so you need a stage act and everything has to be bigger or you don't engage the audience. That's hard if you've had no training and few of us get to do it very often. I was terrified the first time. On the plus side you can move around much more and interact with other band members. Dad dancing with bass in hand looks slightly less odd than doing it with air guitar, or at least that's what I kid myself :) On the plus side I normally run the sound and a lot of bassists do, being able to concentrate on just playing and not worrying about the sound is very liberating.

I'm used to a variety of smaller stages, from slightly enlarged DJ booths to proper village hall style set ups and I tend to prefer the larger type of small stage.

I must admit though, when I did a gig on a full theatre stage it just felt too big. I wonder whether I'd get used to it, but we definitely found it unsettling as a band

I'd love to play a big stage just so I could pretend I was in a proper band for a couple of hours and not playing covers.

We have played a 'big stage' at a festival but it was in a tent on some grass - not a proper stage like the ones in Wooks and Blues pictures. We all had stage frieght that gig and it felt really weird being so far away from the rest of the band, I think we all felt we were on our own!

On Friday night I witnessed some fat bloke walk past the micstands and knock all 3 of them around, he didnt even look back to see what he'd done or stop to correct it. I wish when things like that happen we were in a bigger venue with some sort of barrier between the band and audience. Another time I recall is singing some back up vocals and someone walking back into the mic stand which caused the mic to give my front teeth an almighty whack! But its thing like that you remember and laugh about later and thats what its all about for me.

I think the problem with my first time was I was told 2 minutes before we went on stage for the first time 'its a big stage so you have to fill it by moving about'. Good job I brought my spare pants! But once I decided I was going to swim rather than sink it felt better and I'd rather do that than small pub stages where the bassist gets the least amount of respect.

At small gigs heres what I find happens:

1) I help to get all the band gear in. No-one will help with the bass amp - I have to ask politely for a hand. Not sure why as its part of the gear!
2) As soon as the bass amp gets put in place it immediatly gets disrespected ie - drummers lean the cymbals against it, guitarists put their keys and coat and drinks on it. I would never do that to someone else's gear!

Thats why I prefer bigger gigs/stages - more respect for the bass player!