Why become a member? ×

Stupid equipment mistakes!!!

barneyg42

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1421062982' post='2656629']
I always without fail plug the leads in to my pedals the wrong way round lol
[/quote]

Now you mention that... I currently use just the one pedal. A tuner. One input, one output. All I need to do is put the lead from the 'tuner out' at the back of the amp into the 'input' of the tuner. Without my glasses on I can't see what is written on the tuner, nor can I remember which way round it is from the general shape and configuration. But even statistically you would think I could get it right half the time? No.

Guitarist had a fancy tuner that you could change the tuning frequency (other than classical stuff, I've never seen anyone need to tune to anything other than concert pitch) . we started playing and his playing was even flatter than usual. He spent 40 minutes trying to sort his guitar (changed the strings, changed guitar, moved his amp - then realized he was tuning to something like 437 hz. [size=3]He wouldn't believe it could be his tuner - but the stupid thing is it didnt really occur to us to check his tuner either as we'd been wowed by all his nice and shiny brand new kit. [/size]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421029466' post='2656425']
IMHO, bass effects for live performance is still a pedals game. Multi Effects units are fine for rehearsing at home and maybe for bedroom recordings but not on stage. I would also stay away from Zoom. Just my opinion.

Blue
[/quote]

Yeah, but you're old, innit..? :P[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] :lol:[/size]

I know where the OP is coming from. By habit the first thing I always do when setting up my rig is connect the extension speaker to the combo, so easy to forget if you get distracted doing the other stuff. The extension cab has a daisy chain 'out' immediately next to the 'in' socket and groping around with a lead round the back in tight spaces usually meant I had a 50/50 chance of hitting the wrong socket. Taped the 'out' over with gaffer and now there's only 1 slot to aim for, can get it without even looking round the back.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1421064307' post='2656652']

Now you mention that... I currently use just the one pedal. A tuner. One input, one output. All I need to do is put the lead from the 'tuner out' at the back of the amp into the 'input' of the tuner. Without my glasses on I can't see what is written on the tuner, nor can I remember which way round it is from the general shape and configuration. But even statistically you would think I could get it right half the time? No.
[/quote]

Get some stickers and mark some arrows on it.

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1421064480' post='2656654']
Guitarist had a fancy tuner that you could change the tuning frequency (other than classical stuff, I've never seen anyone need to tune to anything other than concert pitch) . we started playing and his playing was even flatter than usual. He spent 40 minutes trying to sort his guitar (changed the strings, changed guitar, moved his amp - then realized he was tuning to something like 437 hz. [size=3]He wouldn't believe it could be his tuner - but the stupid thing is it didnt really occur to us to check his tuner either as we'd been wowed by all his nice and shiny brand new kit. [/size]
[/quote]

That's happened to me in bright sunlight playing At Hylands House playing to the biggest crowd I've ever performed in front of. Couldn't see the leds on my regular tuner so pulled a spare out of my bag, it was set to something other than 440hz. I had to swap basses mid song as I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find the right pitch at all until the sound engineer spotted the setting on my tuner. Awful

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1421062049' post='2656612']
When I got to the gig and opened the case I had only half a trombone.
[/quote]

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd see that as a result! :P :D I was once in a band with a three-piece brass section and one of them turned up looking worried and said... 'I think I've left my trumpet on the bus'. :rolleyes:

And I'm glad it's not just me who fails to plug the bloody amp into the cab...

Edited by discreet

Harp player rolls up late just in time for his first solo and he hits it. Aaaaaargh!
We're in the key of A and he's grabbed his Bb harmonica.
Close enough for jazz I hear you say.
The problem was that the 'cream' of bass players was sitting with his highly regarded funk jazz drummer mate drinking at the bar. :blush:
Harpo arrived at the next gig with the keys of each harmonica painted on them with yellow fluo paint.

Edited by Jazzneck

[/quote]

Next time you've got it out at home and can see it, tape over the "wrong" hole. You won't be able to plug in to it then!

[/quote]

Been there, done that. Tippex :)

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421065844' post='2656678']
Yeah, but you're old, innit..? :P[/quote]

I guess I would say I'm older, I'll never be old. And my age has allows me to observe about 50 of

I'm a gigging guy and I have experimented with multi-effects devices for live performance and for me they don't have the mojo I need. I"ll continue to employ my pedals.

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000][b]Blue's Pedal Board [/b][/color][/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Line 6 Wireless Relay[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Korg Pitch Black Tuner[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]MRX Bass Octave[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Boss OB3 Overdrive[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]MRX Phase Shifter[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]Boss Synth Bass[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Dedicated Delay[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]EBS Multi-Comp Compression[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Chorus[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=#0000FF][color=#000000]T.C. Electronics Hall Of Fame Reverb[/color][/color][/font][/size]

Blue

Edited by blue

Had a bad experience where the house engineer got blotto the night before we played, and he hadn't noticed that someone had pinched most of the DI boxes. He had a few old DI boxes, but had to reuse them for each band. Come our set, he plugs our rack of synths and samplers into them - only problem is that he left them on the Mic impedance setting rather than switch them over to Line. No line check, and as we start our set I can't hear the drums or keyboards as the engineer yanked their levels down since the output was so distorted. Audience look perplexed as well. I ended up playing the whole set looking at the blinking metronome on the sequencer since the engineer was too useless to realise what he'd done. Thankfully the venue sacked him shortly afterwards.