Why become a member? ×

Which P Bass aftermarket pickups sound dirtiest ?

Karlos69

DiMarzio DP122 - very high powered but in a vintagey way, more mid-based than top-end so sounds very much like an old Precision through a big valvey stack. Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders - more modern sounding, more top and bottom end, when pushed sounds more like a bass driven by a gain/distortion pedal on a low setting in my opinion.

I'm going to go with White Cloud's suggestion (sorry Lozz :) ). IME pickups don't really sound dirty in themselves but will affect how it hits the front end of an amp. You could get the same effect by turning up the input gain (which you may or may not like) but an overdrive/distortion/fuzz is an all round better route to take for dirt IMHO.

If your looking for tonal changes pickups are a good place to start, and I'd agree with Lozz's comparison of the DiMarzio and SD.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420741346' post='2652923']
DiMarzio DP122 - very high powered but in a vintagey way, more mid-based than top-end so sounds very much like an old Precision through a big valvey stack. Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders - more modern sounding, more top and bottom end, when pushed sounds more like a bass driven by a gain/distortion pedal on a low setting in my opinion.
[/quote]

Yep. The QP's can be a little scooped for my liking in some settings, but easily fixed by dialling in the mids at your amp.

Otherwise like the folk above have suggested, pick up something like a Behringer BDI21 (about £30) and dial in the grit that way.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1420743771' post='2652975']
I had a Wizard thumper in my ex-OldGit SX and that was a brute. Might be the way to go? They do come up second hand but there's a new company built from the ashes of Wizard too so I suspect they'll still make them.
[/quote]

They do indeed - Hot Rod Pickups, I have one of their Thumpers in my backup. They`re very 70s Precision sounding, a bit scooped in the mids but without being brittle on the top-end.

pretty much agree with lozz, the sd, just sound a bit fatter all round, but not muddy.

went down the sd route as i cant atm justify the money to try the aguliar pups out and the nordstrand p bass pup is a bit to much money atm.

found this video which shows the pickups well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFasRbajFy4

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1420760169' post='2653265']
pretty much agree with lozz, the sd, just sound a bit fatter all round, but not muddy.

went down the sd route as i cant atm justify the money to try the aguliar pups out and the nordstrand p bass pup is a bit to much money atm.

found this video which shows the pickups well

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFasRbajFy4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=lFasRbajFy4[/url]

andy
[/quote]

Thanks for the link - haven't had a careful listen to a quarter pounder in a while. All sounded nice but the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II won it to my ears.
I have a set of creamery pickups in my MIM Jazz - made the bass come alive.
I'm looking at getting a 60's P pickup in the next while - [url="http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/classic-65-precision-p-bass-pickups.html"]http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/classic-65-precision-p-bass-pickups.html[/url]

We'll have to see what the wallet allows.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420747457' post='2653043']

They do indeed - Hot Rod Pickups, I have one of their Thumpers in my backup. They`re very 70s Precision sounding, a bit scooped in the mids but without being brittle on the top-end.
[/quote]
Thanks lozz

Just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Now I just need to save up the money !

Edited by Geek99

I haven't used them myself, but the Entwistle pickups are supposed to be pretty hot and powerful... Got to be worth a look and a lot cheaper than some of the other suggestions here :) I've also had good results with GFS pickups from the States. Again, pretty hot and pretty cheap (like some of my ex-girlfriends - I wish!).

One of the most growling pickups I tried was the split coil from '83 or so Ibanez Blazer. Guy removed it from his Ibby and replaced it with Fender Vintage PU and claims the bass packs more punch now. Maybe, but not as much growl and anger.

[quote name='JackieMoon' timestamp='1421401431' post='2660711']
I recently fitted the new EMG GZR P pickup to my Nate Mendel precision and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Super simple installation and pure growly P-Bass all the way!
[/quote]

Just ordered a set of these myself and am looking forward to hearing them. I haven't heard anyone with a bad word to say about them so far!