Why become a member? ×

Wilko & NWR

thebrig

First of all, I can't stress enough just how big a fan I am of Wilko and NWR, I've seen them both many times from the 70's to present, but I have to say that I thought that they were dreadful on Jools Hootananny.

Apart from being out of tune, they were also out of time, Norman was all over the place, Wilko's guitar sounded awful, and the drummer wasn't exactly helping much either, maybe they were a bit inebriated I don't know, but if they played that badly at a pub gig, I don't think that they would not be asked back for another one.

Having read the other thread about the show, I know that some people don't agree with criticising artists or the show, but as I stated, I am a massive fan of Wilko and Norman, but if they weren't who they are, I'm sure they would not have got through an audition had there been one.

So is it just me?
I know Wilko has been through a lot recently, but the whole band was awful in my opinion.
I would be interested to know what others thought of their performance.

Here's the link to the show, and they can be found at around 9 mins 50 secs into the show, try listening through headphones and you will hear just how bad they were.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04wlgks/jools-annual-hootenanny-2014

I did think the same, awful.

Wilko has been through an awful lot and was only weeks/months away from death as I recall, so I am sure that plays a part. Doesn't excuse Norman though, he was well off.

I didn't see it originally but a friend of mine reported much as above. Just watched them, the moment at 12:22 is just horrible and I couldn't watch beyond the guitar solo. About as bad as any poor pub band that I have ever seen. Fortunately I know that this is an aberration having seen Norman a couple of times before when he was just stunning.

I recorded the show, and started to watch it last night.

I had consumed a few celebratory lunchtime pints (hey, it's was a Bank Holiday), and, ahem, a couple before tea at home (day off today). :D

Watching it, I had the same concerns as above - I thought it was me! Kept thinking how wrong it sounded, just all over the place.

I must admit I was rather taken aback at the standard of their performance having seen them (Wilko and NWR) play together many times over the years: some of my favourite gigs ever (even if it did take me three days to get my hearing back after a mind-bendingly loud gig at the Cricketers in Kennington in 1989).

While it didn't explain the other two, I figured it was something to do with Wilko's health, but...

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1420212618' post='2646722']Saw them both just two weeks ago on NWR's solo tour, Wilco came on for a few at the end - they were excellent then (with Asaf Sirkis drumming..)[/quote]

this makes it all the more surprising.

Edit: at least that encourages me for any future gigs, though. Hopefully, it was a one-off.

Edited by cybertect

Thought the drummer was dreadful, Wilco made more sense when he wasn't singing ( I can deal with out of time, out of tune guitars, I grew up on grunge and punk). They needed a strong frontman (why wasn't Daltrey there?) NWR was ok but didn't sound great.

All in all like Punk without any message.

Edited by cameltoe

I enjoyed it all aside from Wilcos singing - I just thought his voice sounded very weak, though hardly surprising given his recent history. I was just longing to see - and hear - Roger Daltrey on the mic.

Yes it was all a bit sloppy but up against all of the other current tight, professional, but to me sanitised and soul-less acts that were on (even though I must admit to liking most of them), Wilco & co were a breath of fresh air, but took me back to when music was exciting.

I agree, pissed on gratuities ;)

It sounds like a combination of NWR being a little too well oiled, and wilko playing the track at a speed fractionally quicker then they had rehersed......... Poor norm was playing catchup and didn't seem able to keep up? ( I'm sure he can normally but under pressure of tv and pissed......)
Let's cut them boys some slack they're all getting on a fair bit now ;)

[indent=1]The thing is, as I understand it, Jool's Hootenanny is not actually live, but pre-recorded in October/November sometime. If this is the case surely Wilco, NWR or the drummer would have looked back at the footage the next day and vetoed it? - because it is truly pretty bad.[/indent]

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1420412297' post='2649208'] [indent=1]The thing is, as I understand it, Jool's Hootenanny is not actually live, but pre-recorded in October/November sometime. If this is the case surely Wilco, NWR or the drummer would have looked back at the footage the next day and vetoed it? - because it is truly pretty bad.[/indent] [/quote]

I have got to agree with this. Most "live" stuff on the telly is pre-recorded, why did they let a bit of a car crash though?

I too have seen this band live a good few times, and they are normally as tight as you can get. Wilko's vocals have never been anything special, but that's not what they're about, and he's hardly been in the peak of health of late. I have to conclude that there has to be a reason for this, admittedly, below par performance.

I always assumed that people went for the energy and intensity of the playing and performance rather than their accuracy.

A good live show doesn't always transfer to TV or even a live album.

Having seen Wilko sitting in with a band at a festival early last year, this JH performance was sonic heaven!!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1420202070' post='2646603']

Having read the other thread about the show, I know that some people don't agree with criticising artists or the show, but as I stated, I am a massive fan of Wilko and Norman, but if they weren't who they are, I'm sure they would not have got through an audition had there been one.

So is it just me?
I know Wilko has been through a lot recently, but the whole band was awful in my opinion.
I would be interested to know what others thought of their performance.

Here's the link to the show, and they can be found at around 9 mins 50 secs into the show, try listening through headphones and you will hear just how bad they were.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04wlgks/jools-annual-hootenanny-2014"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...hootenanny-2014[/url]
[/quote]

Just listened to this on headphones ,and, whilst sober! :rolleyes: Rough & ready sure & that doesn't really bother me - it's only Rock n Roll etc ... But NWR's sound was terrible compared to say Paolo Nutini's bass player who I thought was fabbydoo!

Anyway I'd forgive Norman for just about anything given his support for The Basschat Bass Relay! Top Bloke.