Why become a member? ×

Basses In/Basses Out 2014 - And What You've Learned......

spongebob

Alrighty then.

Basses In:
Technically it's just that my Jazz Bass Kit build was ni on finished finally,
just needs fret ends sorting out or possibly a warmoth neck to make it feel as nice as my other one.

Basses Out:
Epi T-Bird.

Due to not liking the neck at the time I thought she was better off moved on.
Unfortunately I can't plan a warmoth fenderbird anymore but oh well.

I can't remember if my amp swap was very late 2013 or early/mid 2014 but I'd say it's worked out to be a 2014 thing really.
Amps Out:

Ashdown 15watt practice amp
Ashdown Mag 307Watt 1x15 Combo

Amps In:
Ashdown Spyder 330 Tube Head.
Ashdown 1x15 Cab
Ashdown 4x8 Cab

Well I finally changed to a set up with side handles and it's sooo much easier to carry.
This set up has versatility I hope I will be using very soon, that I previously didn't have so much.
And on a personal note.. I realllyyyy wanted a Stack, and this is satisfying that desire nicely ;)

Along with the start of a pedalboard after tripping over the bloody tree trunks that are my morley and ashdown behemoth pedals.

Nowww for the job soo next years can properly have a bass or two in :ph34r:

What I've Learnt:
I need to fill my five bass rack, it's sitting there 3/5ths full and it's depressing!
I possibly have an Ashdown Addiction and may need help
That I really need to practice, I feel i've only seriously been learning for 1/2 years out of the 7 i've had a bass for.

Edited by SolomonHelsing

Out
Squier CV Jazz
Sansamp BBDI
Big Muff
Demeter Compulator
Harley Benton BA500H
TC Electronics BG250

In
1962 P Bass
EBS Reidmar

What I've learned. I play in a way that makes high tension strings a must have. I love the sound of rounds on my late model P bass but find I have to hold back too much with the ones I've tried so far or raise the action right up.

Forgot to say what I've learned:

1. I really need to practice more
2. Practice would be good
3. I probably will have a completely different rig again by the end of the year, just because I can
4. More time should be spent practicing rather than looking at shiny new toys. It is in fact a resolution I have made, to practice every day from here on in. And to run more, and cycle. But they won't help my bass playing so much.
5. Practice.

My only bass purchase in 2014 was just a few weeks ago - a Cort A5 Custom SP. I have an old A5 that my wife bought for me about 7 years ago at a time she could ill afford it, and because of its sentimental value I never gig it. But it's a cracking instrument, and despite owning Musicman, Warwick, Fender and Clover basses it's still my favourite to play. So when I saw the Custom SP recently I snapped it up! First gig using it was last weekend, and it was astonishingly good - lots of great comments from band mates and punters about how it sounded.

Consequently I think my bass collection might get a bit of thinning over the next few weeks!

Sold a Jaydee Roadie I purchased new in 1985, a Yamaha BB1100s fretless and also a Fender Custom shop custom classic. All beautiful basses, but a tad heavy for my shoulder that has had 35 years of gigging.
I did not purchase anything as my Sadowsky nyc and pre cbs Fender jazz cover everything for me and are really light weight.

Missed an Out - Squier Affinity Precision PJ

Also:
Learned: that I'm never again going to play in anything loud enough to need drums. Still reeling from NYE gig, and I'm just fed up with so much volume. And with lousy drummers, come to that...In fact, while typing this, I've decided to scrap the idea of an extension cab for my combo. Too loud........

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1420223721' post='2646913']

Learned: that I'm never again going to play in anything loud enough to need drums. Still reeling from NYE gig, and I'm just fed up with so much volume. And with lousy drummers, come to that...In fact, while typing this, I've decided to scrap the idea of an extension cab for my combo. Too loud........
[/quote]

Surely earplugs? Good ones? (for Volume, not lousy drummers, nothing can cure them <_< )

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1420223721' post='2646913']
Missed an Out - Squier Affinity Precision PJ

Also:
[/quote]

"It takes a great drummer to be better than no drummer at all" - Chet Baker

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1420223857' post='2646916']

Surely earplugs? Good ones? (for Volume, not lousy drummers, nothing can cure them <_< )
[/quote]
Once the damage is well under way, and it was, way before decent earplugs, my experience is that the damage keeps accumulating. Tinnitus as loud as conversation for 30 years. It's getting worse. Time to go acoustic. The other musicians, that is, not me!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420296757' post='2647722']
Oh dear. May I ask what you didn't like about it? :)
[/quote]There is nothing really wrong with it. It plays nice, feels nice, but i just didn`t need it. I bought it a couple of months ago, when they were selling them for £500. I think most people here know the scenario. The price is good, the money is sat in the bank, and all reasoning goes out of the window, and you buy it. Get it home, play it a bit,and stays in the case. I just prefer the Clover so much more. Maybe when i get a better amp, and experimenting with the sounds , it will get more use. At the moment , it is just a nice bass in a case