Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='chris_b' post='909321' date='Jul 29 2010, 03:08 PM']A Mk1 4 string has just sold on EBay. The seller wanted £2000 but settled for £1800. Prices have levelled out in the last few years.[/quote]

In fairness that one hjad been butchered around the bridge area though...

This is truly the worst thread I have found on this site..................

There are some stunning Wals on here, and when you are wanting one as much as I am, this thread is 'real' bad place to be.

I am still saving, but with my amp playing up, and another pay cut at work, they seem to be getting further from my reach :)

one day.........................In the meantime, is there a way of stopping this thread being viewed for me :rolleyes:

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='908487' date='Jul 28 2010, 05:53 PM']Yes - back to the proper thread:

Hi all,
This is my new Moby Dick Wal MK II, currently being shipped to Germany. This is Paul's first shot of it taken at Wal basses last week to wet my appetite and two close ups of the neck and body taken by Paul during the building process.

spex:

Wal MkII 4 white polyester finish
gold hardware
fretted macassar ebony neck
solid Spanish cedar body
4,4 kgs

yummy!![/quote]

Must be one of the most beautiful Wals I have ever seen...congratulations

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='915648' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:21 AM']Must be one of the most beautiful Wals I have ever seen...congratulations[/quote]

Cheers Geert!
Nevertheless, the Wal six fretless has also returned to me after one year :) and it smmmmokes! Maybe I'm going to have to sell that wonderful LeFay Remington Steele 4 again, since I now have too many fretless basses - know the problem? :lol:

tc
Oliver

Edited by spiritchaser

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lozbass' post='982355' date='Oct 9 2010, 10:29 AM']Littleal - gorgeous and befitting your talent!

Mine is a 2002 Mk2 in Walnut (talent utterly un-befitting of the bass)[/quote]

Thats lovely, Thank you for the kind words, that walnut looks georgeous dude :)

[quote name='walbassist' post='255271' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:04 PM']You asked for it....

My Mk III was one of the last two basses Pete made. It was very special for a number of reasons, not least because I supplied the facings he used (picked up on a ski-ing holiday in Vermont). This is the only spalted maple Wal in the world.

I also asked for a walnut core ( usually mahogany), and Pete gave the bass a double pinstripe veneer (usually only one).

As this was going to be my ultimate Wal, I also had Pete make fretted and fretless necks (ebony boards, no dots, unlined fretless) for the bass, so I could swap them over as and when I fancied a change. I also asked him to put his fish signature on the back of the necks.

Pete also bound the pickups with contrasting laminates. Again, a very unusual feature.

Often the back of a Wal looks just as good as the front!

And here it is, finished....

Enjoy![/quote]

Nice!!!