Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1336963' date='Aug 11 2011, 09:28 PM']Whilst I was at the workshop Paul appeared to be putting the finishing touches on, what I think was a flamed maple bodied, MK1 - it was absolutely stunning.

Anyway, I suppose I'd better start saving for a fretted MKIII next :)[/quote]

Great Wal 5 man! Congrats! Paul is a real master of the craft and it's always a pleasure to talk to him.

The flamed maple MK1 could be mine which is due this month - did it have a black neck and was the finish somewhat light brownish?

I can hardly wait for it to be ready and compare it to my white MKII which you can hear and see live on stage here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fC2CTYt5k&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fC2CTYt5k...feature=related[/url].

At around 1:30 into the clip you can hear it soloed.

tc Oliver

Edited by spiritchaser

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='1337431' date='Aug 12 2011, 11:32 AM']Great Wal 5 man! Congrats! Paul is a real master of the craft and it's always a pleasure to talk to him.

The flamed maple MK1 could be mine which is due this month - did it have a black neck and was the finish somewhat light brownish?

I can hardly wait for it to be ready and compare it to my white MKII which you can hear and see live on stage here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fC2CTYt5k&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fC2CTYt5k...feature=related[/url].

At around 1:30 into the clip you can hear it soloed.

tc Oliver[/quote]

Sorry, I cannot recall if it had a black neck or not (and yet I did see a neck near it - damn my poor old memory). If it's yours then wow, it looks awesome.

Just received this Wal Pro from 1984... W2324
Bought if on ebay.uk and was really lucky since the seller wanted a pick-up only and was very reluctant to send it to any buyer.
I was able to convince him to send it to Belgium and it arrived here today..
The intention is to make it fretless so I can have the dots and the lines on the "normal" places..
Pity since this bass is in excellent shape and any change seems like blasphemy..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1336963' date='Aug 11 2011, 09:28 PM']Guys thanks for the kind words.

So far I have nothing but glowing things to say about the quality, the look, the feel and the sound of this instrument. You're absolutely spot on AndroWal, the ergonomics and the balance, weight etc. make this the most comfortable instrument I own (I admit I'm in the honeymoon period at the moment so I probably would say this :)).

lozbass, totally agree with you. Paul is producing some awesome instruments. Also if you talk to Paul you get the feeling that he's somebody who really cares about what he's doing and strives to produce the best.

Whilst I was at the workshop Paul appeared to be putting the finishing touches on, what I think was a flamed maple bodied, MK1 - it was absolutely stunning.

Anyway, I suppose I'd better start saving for a fretted MKIII next :)[/quote]

Could it be this one?
At the 12th of august i picked up my MK1 sycamore Wal at the workshop, which looks a bit like flamed maple.
I totally agree with you about Pauls craftmanship!

Here's a pic of my collection:

All of these were at the dutch wal meeting too!

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='1372224' date='Sep 13 2011, 06:04 PM']very soon in Germany:[/quote]

That is lovely.

[quote name='RonC' post='1374138' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:33 AM']Could it be this one?
At the 12th of august i picked up my MK1 sycamore Wal at the workshop, which looks a bit like flamed maple.
I totally agree with you about Pauls craftmanship!

...[/quote]

Ooo, it could have been but either way that's another beauty.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1375355' date='Sep 16 2011, 01:01 PM']From what I've heard it's a sort of chemically treated maple..also my favourite one in the picture[/quote]

That's right!
This one also has a thinner body, the previous owner wanted a less heavy Wal so Pete or Wal used a thinner piece of corewood.
(it's not mine btw.)

Edited by RonC