Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='Toasted' post='1026687' date='Nov 17 2010, 11:42 AM']What about Mr.Bassman's Wal Midi Bass. I've played it and I love that one.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88382&hl=wal"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88382&hl=wal[/url][/quote]

3.5k is out of the price range.
Thanks anyway my friend

• 1 month later...

[quote name='littleal' post='980835' date='Oct 7 2010, 07:00 PM']After a years wait it finaly arrived!! freshly built from paul herman :)[/quote]

littleal,

by the end of November I was at Wal workshop to place an order for my bass, and happened to watch various wal basses pics with Paul Herman since I wanted to show him the way I wanted the figuring of the top wood.
When we came across the pic of your bass, he sort of "jumped" saying that he was particularly satisfied with yours, far better looking in person than in photo and very good sounding.

I just thought that it needed to be shared with you,

M

[quote name='MC1970' post='1075878' date='Jan 2 2011, 11:13 PM']littleal,

by the end of November I was at Wal workshop to place an order for my bass, and happened to watch various wal basses pics with Paul Herman since I wanted to show him the way I wanted the figuring of the top wood.
When we came across the pic of your bass, he sort of "jumped" saying that he was particularly satisfied with yours, far better looking in person than in photo and very good sounding.

I just thought that it needed to be shared with you,

M[/quote]
Thank you for that, unfortunately I need a fretted 6 so it may have to go unless I can afford to have a fretted neck made

[quote name='lozbass' post='982355' date='Oct 9 2010, 09:29 AM']Littleal - gorgeous and befitting your talent!

Mine is a 2002 Mk2 in Walnut (talent utterly un-befitting of the bass)[/quote]

Good grief, it's so attractive! What a beautiful looking Wal, one of the nicest I've seen!

• 1 month later...

In its current form this may not be the most beautiful of Wals - but it´s mine and has a bit of a story to go with it...

Bought it in 2000 along with a single pickup fretless MK I (I think it´s the one in the back row [url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2008/post-45-1217955384_thumb.jpg"]here[/url] at the Wall of Wals). I left the fretted MK I on stage at an outdoor gig in May 2001, at an enclosed area, guarded by security with dogs. And - you guessed it - it was gone the next day. Some other gear had been stolen, too, but this one really hurt the most.
I always kept an eye open in case it might turn up again, so imagine my surprise when I found a video of the bass on a German forum last summer. I wasn´t 100% sure, but after I had seen a link to the ebay auction where it had been sold with BIN accidentally instead of auctioning it off I knew this was my Wal! Turned out it had never been far from where it had been stolen - just a couple of miles from here...

Now it´s back with me and I´m having it refinished - or rather finished, as it had been sanded, spray-painted blue, then sanded again, so it came back to me as bare wood... More pics here: [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/112925724378685434489/WalW2328#"]Wal W2328[/url]

By the way, all the little screws for the back cover have gone and the neck bolts have been damaged from not using proper tools. Being non-metric they are impossible to come by over here - would those be available from a hardware store in the UK or are these extra-special???

[quote name='jogi' post='1126151' date='Feb 13 2011, 06:26 PM']In its current form this may not be the most beautiful of Wals - but it´s mine and has a bit of a story to go with it...

Bought it in 2000 along with a single pickup fretless MK I (I think it´s the one in the back row [url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2008/post-45-1217955384_thumb.jpg"]here[/url] at the Wall of Wals). I left the fretted MK I on stage at an outdoor gig in May 2001, at an enclosed area, guarded by security with dogs. And - you guessed it - it was gone the next day. Some other gear had been stolen, too, but this one really hurt the most.
I always kept an eye open in case it might turn up again, so imagine my surprise when I found a video of the bass on a German forum last summer. I wasn´t 100% sure, but after I had seen a link to the ebay auction where it had been sold with BIN accidentally instead of auctioning it off I knew this was my Wal! Turned out it had never been far from where it had been stolen - just a couple of miles from here...

Now it´s back with me and I´m having it refinished - or rather finished, as it had been sanded, spray-painted blue, then sanded again, so it came back to me as bare wood... More pics here: [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/112925724378685434489/WalW2328#"]Wal W2328[/url]

By the way, all the little screws for the back cover have gone and the neck bolts have been damaged from not using proper tools. Being non-metric they are impossible to come by over here - would those be available from a hardware store in the UK or are these extra-special???[/quote]

try this: [url="http://www.walbasses.co.uk/"]http://www.walbasses.co.uk/[/url]
I had the same problem with some imperial-sized screws for my mixing console, a 1980 Amek M2500. After having visited every hardwareshop in my area I found out that I was living two streets away from a wholesale dealer for these screws..... I paid 75€ for 100 screws of which I needed three. Hopefully this won´t happen to you. Better you contact walbasses first.
good to see that your darling found her way back to you :-)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='littleal' post='1183516' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:34 PM']Just got this back from the gallery (sei bass) & Martin has done a stunning job fretting this for me :)[/quote]

BUGGA, I was hoping to have a play on this tomorrow when i pick up my Sei after its service

Steve

[quote name='littleal' post='1183516' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:34 PM']Just got this back from the gallery (sei bass) & Martin has done a stunning job fretting this for me :)[/quote]

I don't understand - I thought you were trying to sell that recently? Why have you had a re-fret?

Couple of bad flash camera shots of my newly acquired June 2004 Mach II (or according to one Wal blog, a Mach II/III hybrid) fretless with American walnut facings and mahogany core. Ebony board has useful side fret marker lines on it, like an Ibanez fretless I once owned. Weighs 9.4 pounds, balances very well on a strap, almost Jazz-like neck dimensions, and in immaculate condition. Sounds very like a DB on the bass/neck pickup with the tone rolled off (it has LaBella flats on it) which is what I need in my band, plus has a ton of other tonal options. Will be spending a couple of hours with this tonight as the Mrs on a girlie's night out and kids broke up from school today :)

[attachment=76379:P1040152.JPG][attachment=76380:P1040149.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1183793' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:52 PM']I don't understand - I thought you were trying to sell that recently? Why have you had a re-fret?[/quote]
I was as she was fretless & I need a fretted bass,

Edited by littleal