Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='390699' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:25 PM']Allo!

I used to be a Wal-nut some years ago; I've owned three Wals over the years, the following counts as two of those! (pic courtesy of the superb Wal database site [url="http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal"]http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal[/url] - taken by Jon Vanaman).

I sold it to a good friend as it was very heavy and the flightcase kept getting mistaken by the local Harrier pilots at Wittering as an aircraft carrier...! Should have kept it in the collection really as it would be worth quite a bit by now - shame it wasn't a natural finish. Sounded fantastic - the controls were as per a regular Wal bass; the pickup balance pot was used to pan between the two necks and, if set centrally, provided some interesting effects in terms of sympathetic vibrations from the neck that wasn't being played!

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]

I remember seeing that in the Bass Centre in Wapping nearly 20 years ago!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='255886' date='Aug 5 2008, 11:24 PM']Pete's retired now, not very well apparently but word is that he is handing over the reins to Paul, who is an excellent choice to take the Wal bass forward.. as you say, into the 21st Century! More news to come soon I believe, probably through Chris Franklin at Harrow Audio who is often in touch with Pete. As you can imagine, there's certainly a lot of anticipation out there amongst Wal owners about this development..

BTW, chris_b & 99ster, your basses look pretty good to me from where I'm sitting!! We definitely need another WalFest sometime...[/quote]

Here is my Wal Midi Bass MK4, I bought it new in 1994 and have never had a problem with it, it is in use every day, I compose all my music with it, using it to trigger piano, harp, violin and percussion. Check out my demo vid www.myspace.com/keithholden. Also, recent news that Steve Chick who designed the electronics for Pete, is back in business building his own Midi Bass

Edited by keithmidibass

Just a couple of my Pro11 passive as im in Bailey mode ( maybe not eh ? )

Those Midi Wals are very very lovely chaps mmmm

Mine is rather humble alongside however in a street fight grrr :)

huge variety of tones available and looks to smile over currently strung with Picato 35 -95 and the best fretted F ive ever heard

[attachment=33409:PICT0124.JPG]

[attachment=33410:PICT0125.JPG]

Gary
v8
Wal thumper

[quote name='v8bass' post='607567' date='Sep 24 2009, 12:01 PM']Just a couple of my Pro11 passive as im in Bailey mode ( maybe not eh ? )

huge variety of tones available and looks to smile over currently strung with Picato 35 -95 and the best fretted F ive ever heard

[attachment=33409:PICT0124.JPG]

[attachment=33410:PICT0125.JPG]

Gary
v8
Wal thumper[/quote]

A passive Pro2. That's the Wal I've always wanted.

[quote name='v8bass' post='607567' date='Sep 24 2009, 12:01 PM']Just a couple of my Pro11 passive as im in Bailey mode ( maybe not eh ? )

Gary
v8
Wal thumper[/quote]

Gorgeous! As are all the others above...

[quote name='Captain Rumble' post='611110' date='Sep 28 2009, 06:42 PM']Here's my humble offering I feel quite intimidated

[attachment=33644:PICT0052.JPG]

I want to sell her if I can figure out what she's worth I will be bringing it to the bass bash if anyone wants a look :)[/quote]
One like this went for about £1300 on Evil Bay recently.. But as yours has the original case, it might fetch more...?

Look forward to seeing it at the Bash.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='692936' date='Dec 24 2009, 01:37 PM']Not sure which sort of wood this is...it's not mentionned on the inside.
Bought it from Duncan (based around New York) and apparantly this bass seems to have a connection with Howard Jones ?
Sounds great though it has only one pick-up and the output is amazing (more than some active basses)

[/quote]

Very nice and as you say, that's quite an unusual facing.. I've always found Wal basses, passive or active models, to have a really strong output. Mine is the 'hottest' of all my basses..

Merry Xmas by the way!

[quote name='wombatboter' post='692936' date='Dec 24 2009, 08:37 AM']Not sure which sort of wood this is...it's not mentionned on the inside.
Bought it from Duncan (based around New York) and apparantly this bass seems to have a connection with Howard Jones ?
Sounds great though it has only one pick-up and the output is amazing (more than some active basses)

[/quote]

Poplar facings on that one. The history came via Chris F. who had a chance to look it up in Pete's book. It was made for Howard Jones' bass playing brother. No idea if he played with Howard or not. I did not get the bass from a "Jones"... forget who sold it to me.

The bass did sound great. Amazing what one pickup near the bridge can put out. The one thing that through me off was nowhere to put my thumb. The missing neck pickup through me off. Also did not think I was going to end up playing fretless at that time.

And while where showing appreciation... here's my ProIIe, rear-loaded no less. It's the only one I've seen pictured. If I recall Pete said he made 2 or 3 this way. It was originally a natural finish and fretless. I made the changes back when I got it around 1985.

[attachment=38914:PICT0022.jpg]

dunc

Edited by bassplace

[quote name='bassplace' post='694663' date='Dec 28 2009, 06:18 AM']And while where showing appreciation... here's my ProIIe, rear-loaded no less. It's the only one I've seen pictured. If I recall Pete said he made 2 or 3 this way. It was originally a natural finish and fretless. I made the changes back when I got it around 1985.

[attachment=38914:PICT0022.jpg]

dunc[/quote]
Love that bass!!!