Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

Here's my 1980 custom leftie, a bass I love to death. Notice the early Pro headstock - they must have had the neck lying around and used it for this build. Also has an early chrome bridge.
It has Niangon facias with a Mahogany core and triple pinstripe veneers front & back in between. It's in remarkable condition for a 28 year old bass.

The electrics in this one are different from most Wals as it has on off switch on the vol. control, as well as the pull/push pick attack.

I recently put a set of Elixirs on it and it has come alive.......

D.

Edited by deksawyer

Heres mine,

Its an 84 Mach 1 Custom No. 2267 Flame Shedua Facings on a Brazilian Core. Always wanted one and saw this in the local ad mag advertised as a pro 1 for £320, it had been in for 9 weeks and no response!??!! so i offered 290 and got it! :) Ill never sell it.

Dave

[quote name='cd_david' post='256208' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:57 PM']saw this in the local ad mag advertised as a pro 1 for £320, it had been in for 9 weeks and no response!??!! so i offered 290 and got it! :huh:[/quote]

OMG!!! When was that?!? :)

What a bargain!!

[quote name='cd_david' post='256224' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:04 PM']It was 10 years ago, but still absolute bargain at the time, I felt guilty knocking the guy down :)[/quote]

Tell you what, I won't knock you down.... I won't even offer you the asking price..... I'l go HIGHER! I'll give you £330 for it :huh:

Edited by cetera

• 3 weeks later...

plus my Mach II fivestring:

[attachment=12610:000_0207.JPG]

[attachment=12611:000_0208.JPG]

Check the hair of my kitten. She prefers to sleep on my sofa. It´s pretty useless to convince her that it´s my sofa :)

btw, do you guys know where I can get replacement pots for my Wal?

Edited by jensenmann

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='269203' date='Aug 24 2008, 11:34 PM']If you ever decide to sell that, then please let me know.

That's beautiful, and has the perfect amount of strings. :)[/quote]

I would trade it with a Mach II fretless 5 string in good shape + something

I´m too old and lazy for 6 strings :huh:

Edited by jensenmann

[quote name='jensenmann' post='269071' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:07 PM']plus my Mach II fivestring:

[attachment=12610:000_0207.JPG]

[attachment=12611:000_0208.JPG]

Check the hair of my kitten. She prefers to sleep on my sofa. It´s pretty useless to convince her that it´s my sofa :)

btw, do you guys know where I can get replacement pots for my Wal?[/quote]
Very nice basses!

You can check in with Chris Franklin at Harrow Audio as he seems to know the answer to these questions. See here:

[url="http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/products.asp?Parent=&Make=WAL&Search=wa&"]http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/products....;Search=wa&[/url]

And also, on the Harrow Audio site, Chris is now signposting people to Paul Herman ([email protected]) for Wal spares as Paul is going to be taking over production of the Wal bass very,very soon which is great news!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='272116' date='Aug 28 2008, 11:51 PM']That's a stunning collection!

I love the 1979 fretless and the Black Polyester 5 string, though they're all great! Don't often see a Wal with a different brand pick up in it so I guess that makes the '79 Pro quite unique...[/quote]

Cheers! Yes, the fretless with the Bartolini sounds more vintage and also a lot warmer than my original MK I lined fretless.
It took a lot of work to get it together that way ... my wife was a big help being a carpenter, and, together with a famous German luthier we finally made it.
Though my wife doesn't play bass, she's also convinced of the quality and the tonal possibilities of Wal basses.
The Black Poly 5 is a pleasure to play (apart from its weight) and is - together with the MIDI MK II- the bass with the strongest output and low end I have ever witnessed.
tc Oliver

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='271858' date='Aug 28 2008, 03:44 PM']Well, well - great pics of great basses! I just happened to take some more recent ones of mine (check my signature for exact data):
tc Oliver[/quote]

Wow!
That single pick up 4 string fretless, with, is it buckeye, top on it?
That is gorgeous!

Anymore info on it?

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='eude' post='272671' date='Aug 29 2008, 05:16 PM']Wow!
That single pick up 4 string fretless, with, is it buckeye, top on it?
That is gorgeous!

Anymore info on it?

Eude[/quote]
Hi Eude,
yes, it is. I ordered it as rough slaps via a German importer of woods. You can't imagine how much laquer the buckeyed burl took to be completely covered. It was like a sponge. Here are some more pics of the actual process of putting the bass together - among other customer projects (Kundenprojekte): [url="http://www.holz-faszination.de/home/node/44"]http://www.holz-faszination.de/home/node/44[/url]
BTW Jens Ritter from Ritter Basses also orders his veneers and woods there.
tc Oliver

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='273093' date='Aug 30 2008, 12:30 PM']Hi Eude,
yes, it is. I ordered it as rough slaps via a German importer of woods. You can't imagine how much laquer the buckeyed burl took to be completely covered. It was like a sponge. Here are some more pics of the actual process of putting the bass together - among other customer projects (Kundenprojekte): [url="http://www.holz-faszination.de/home/node/44"]http://www.holz-faszination.de/home/node/44[/url]
BTW Jens Ritter from Ritter Basses also orders his veneers and woods there.
tc Oliver[/quote]

Thanks for info dude!
That's one gorgeous bass, I feel my Wal GAS building...

Cheers,
Eude

Thanks I love it.

Although it needs regular oiling, because a previous owner allowed it to get sunburnt (I'm guessing that's the cause) and it starts to look a little bleached out, particularly on the lower horn. A quick rub over with a little lemon oil and it looks great for a few weeks. All part of the charm of an old instrument and it sounds awesome. People don't believe its a passive bass.

Cheers Gary.

[quote name='walbassist' post='255271' date='Aug 5 2008, 07:04 AM']You asked for it....

My Mk III was one of the last two basses Pete made. It was very special for a number of reasons, not least because I supplied the facings he used (picked up on a ski-ing holiday in Vermont). This is the only spalted maple Wal in the world.[/quote]

Pete made a lot of great basses and he clearly put a lot into this one. It would seem he really wanted to do one more special one before closing up shop.

Edited by bassplace

[quote name='walbassist' post='255271' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:04 PM']You asked for it....

My Mk III was one of the last two basses Pete made. It was very special for a number of reasons, not least because I supplied the facings he used (picked up on a ski-ing holiday in Vermont). This is the only spalted maple Wal in the world.

I also asked for a walnut core ( usually mahogany), and Pete gave the bass a double pinstripe veneer (usually only one).

As this was going to be my ultimate Wal, I also had Pete make fretted and fretless necks (ebony boards, no dots, unlined fretless) for the bass, so I could swap them over as and when I fancied a change. I also asked him to put his fish signature on the back of the necks.

Pete also bound the pickups with contrasting laminates. Again, a very unusual feature.

Often the back of a Wal looks just as good as the front!

And here it is, finished....

Enjoy![/quote]
Are you Paul macartney! HA we have found you,Knew he would be on here somewhere.

• 3 months later...