Why become a member? ×

The cost of a Fodera. Worth it?

thebassist

[quote name='Christian Houmann' timestamp='1416412213' post='2609947']
I like mine :)

[URL=http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/IMG_4205_zpsedd0feb0.jpg.html][IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/Houmann/IMG_4205_zpsedd0feb0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Wow! The wood on the bass in the middle is stunning!! Is that Bolivian rosewood?

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1416341979' post='2609268']
To be fair, that's just Vic performing at a gear show, probably for a bunch of fawning bass players I imagine. He's the first person to state that it's just 'fireworks', and whilst it partly pays his bills, he's perfectly aware if what it is (or isn't) :)
Si
[/quote]

Quite. And look at the stick poor old Nige Clutterbuck gets... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416340374' post='2609241']

That's what I did. It basically reinforces my view that the bass is not a solo instrument...
[/quote]

You guys mean that it makes sense to buy a 10k Fodera to play root-5ths? This is no more or less fireworks than any other virtuoso playing too many notes... Satriani or Vai anyone? I actually liked that he kept the groove underneath.

Foderas are fancy stuff, supported by a 'premium' marketing strategy. If you can afford them, and you like them, good for you. But I don't think one can reasonably argue about build quality or craftmanship or costs - it only goes that far as an argument. Many many luthiers offer the same level of care or more at a fraction of the price and surely their figures make sense business-wise. Playability depends on your hands, technique, etc. To answer the OP, Foderas are worth it if you find them to be the ideal bass for you - but chances are that they're not. So many basses out there.

Just my opinion anyway.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1416481218' post='2610576']
You guys mean that it makes sense to buy a 10k Fodera to play root-5ths?
[/quote]

There's a lot more to playing bass in a band than root/fifths, though they have their place.
You mean that it makes sens to buy a 10K Fodera purely for playing solo?

You can get one for £30 in John Lewis. [url="http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-co-wool-felt-fedora-hat/p1311147?sku=233314385&kpid=233314385&s_kenid=2ce6deb2-bb10-f708-829d-000055265c9b&s_kwcid=403x57009&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=233314385"]http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-co-wool-felt-fedora-hat/p1311147?sku=233314385&kpid=233314385&s_kenid=2ce6deb2-bb10-f708-829d-000055265c9b&s_kwcid=403x57009&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=233314385[/url]

Im pretty sure if Wal, ACG, Status, Overwater or any of the other UK builders could have a full order book charging £10k an instrument they would do...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1416481776' post='2610592']
You can get one for £30 in John Lewis. [url="http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-co-wool-felt-fedora-hat/p1311147?sku=233314385&kpid=233314385&s_kenid=2ce6deb2-bb10-f708-829d-000055265c9b&s_kwcid=403x57009&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=233314385"]http://www.johnlewis...&kpid=233314385[/url]
[/quote]

Also, I actually have one of those.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416481573' post='2610586']

There's a lot more to playing bass in a band than root/fifths, though they have their place.
You mean that it makes sens to buy a 10K Fodera purely for playing solo?
[/quote]

I'd say jazz soloists are their target market, yes, with all their singlecut stuff etc. In a band context that requires solid no frills playing I don't see how a Fodera can beat the tried and tested J or P or MM, honestly. Note articulation up the dusty end is a non-issue. Mind, you can also spend a lot of money on such basses - but typically less than 5000k...

I might be wrong though.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1416483751' post='2610624']
I'd say jazz soloists are their target market, yes, with all their singlecut stuff etc. In a band context that requires solid no frills playing I don't see how a Fodera can beat the tried and tested J or P or MM, honestly. Note articulation up the dusty end is a non-issue. Mind, you can also spend a lot of money on such basses - but typically less than 5000k... I might be wrong though.
[/quote]

No, you're probably right. I've never been a fan of expensive high-end boutique basses, natural finishes, exotic woods, etc. and always thought they were aimed at the jazz shredders' market. That is, until my recent overwhelming Spector GAS... now I yearn for a buckeye burl over black walnut USA NS-5XL, but that's neither here nor there!!

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1416483751' post='2610624']
I'd say jazz soloists are their target market, yes, with all their singlecut stuff etc. In a band context that requires solid no frills playing I don't see how a Fodera can beat the tried and tested J or P or MM, honestly. Note articulation up the dusty end is a non-issue. Mind, you can also spend a lot of money on such basses - but typically less than 5000k...

I might be wrong though.
[/quote]

Sure, although I think thats why they introduced the NYC basses, a more 'trad' vibe.
I guess there are also plenty of people who can quite happily spend 3-4k on a new Alleva Coppolo, Sadowsky or a Stenback (even more surprising to me), which is fundamentally a Fender Copy, albeit very well made. The basic price of a USA Sadowsky 5 string, before options is $4275! But if that person is happy, then it's worth it right?! :)

Si

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1416481970' post='2610597']
Im pretty sure if Wal, ACG, Status, Overwater or any of the other UK builders could have a full order book charging £10k an instrument they would do...
[/quote]
I think that the question that really needs to be asked is "how much could Fodera charge if they were based in Accrington Stanley and were not gaining any status from being based in New York?".

It would be quite interesting to conduct a proper hands on blind play test including instruments from as many custom builders, prestige ranges(e.g. Yamaha 2024, Fender CS) and throw in some lower budget instruments that have been to good luthiers for a full fret stone/dress & setup and see what (if anything) came out as being consistently liked more than the others.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1416488169' post='2610712']
The basic price of a USA Sadowsky 5 string, before options is $4275! But if that person is happy, then it's worth it right?! :)
[/quote]

Yes, but for how long - GAS being what it is... :)

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1416490920' post='2610772']
It would be quite interesting to conduct a proper hands on blind play test including instruments from as many custom builders, prestige ranges(e.g. Yamaha 2024, Fender CS) and throw in some lower budget instruments that have been to good luthiers for a full fret stone/dress & setup and see what (if anything) came out as being consistently liked more than the others.
[/quote]

It would be interesting indeed. Given that most electric bass guitars are essentially built to the same basic design, use broadly similar components and largely sound quite similar to each other within a relatively limited range of parameters. How much of it is about status, reputation, branding, loyalty and... good old snake oil?? :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416491802' post='2610785']
It would be interesting indeed. Given that most basses are essentially built to the same basic design and largely sound quite similar to each other within a relatively limited range of parameters. How much of it is about status, reputation, branding, loyalty and... good old snake oil?? :D
[/quote]

Moving from £1k instrument to £10k one, won't make you a better bassist, and won't really sound better, it's all about GAS. Nothing wrong with spending this much if it makes you happy of course.

Given the music that has come out of bassists over the past 50yrs , most of which have not have had an instrument costing this much, it all feels a bit unnecessary.

Edited by DanR

[quote name='DanR' timestamp='1416492416' post='2610798']
Nothing at all wrong with spending this much on a bass if it makes you happy. If you want it, you gotta have it!
[/quote]

I agree, that's GAS for you. Or conspicuous consumption if you want to call it that. I'm sure it's the same for shoes, clothes, cars, houses, cuddly meerkats, servants... you name it. Though in my experience the joy of a new purchase is relatively short-lived.

However, when I get my shiny new high-end USA or Czech Spector, I'm sure I'll be happy forever... :rolleyes:
Or maybe not. Needless consumption is the fuel of capitalism, and I'm just as guilty as anyone of indulging in it. :blink: